IGNORED

When did Joy Joy get braces?

FJismyheadship

I wanted clear braces too, but for the stuff i needed fixed, it was metal or nothing. I eventually did get to graduate to a clear retainer, of which I did lose :( never got a replacement and now I might need braces/retainer again. Ick! oh well. It's a PITA but worth it in the end for a nice, awesome kick-ass smile/teeth.

I feel bad that most of the kids are having their awkward stages recorded. Mine was bad enough in the privacy of my family and I've removed as much photographic evidence of that stage as possible.

Bright side? At least they're doing it when she's young and it'll be over with soon. I'd rather have them when I was younger and awkward than have to get them later when I was a young adult.

I just got mine and I'm 28. When I was a teen, my mom was single and working freelance so there was no way she could afford it. Then as a young adult, I was in a situation of domestic violence so my teeth were the least of my worries. So right now is the only time in my life I can do it. And since the treatment is going to last 3 years, I'll probably be pregnant and wearing braces. I'm tiny, I'm bound to get mistaken for a teen and get some stares when in public transportation and such. Can't wait to show them my ring and say "what? I'm 30 and married!" :whistle:

At least it didn't cause another episode about the dentist. I hope that when they run out of episode ideas (which seems like they already have), they don't have an episode of her getting her braces tightened. That's painful. I'm glad she didn't have to get her braces on in an episode. I remember when I got mine when I was 11 I was super nervous, so I definately wouldn't have wanted the world to see.

I'm just glad they didn't do another 'Duggar at the Dentist' episode..

"Coming up next on 19 Kids Make The Dentist Wealthy..." And we'll see Hannie giving her her meds on schedule and Jackson giving her tap water oatmeal as Jim-Bob talks about a Servant's Heart and Michelle mentions that they teach BOTH boys and girls to COOK.

It makes me feel so bad....the poor girl's eyes always look red and exhausted.

I have noticed this too. Even with her smiling, her eyes look so tired. I wonder who her buddy is and if she's up all night because of a needy toddler. Or does she have to share her bed now and her sister is a sleep-kicker?

Why not get clear? My daughter has clear and they are the same price as metal!

They weren't for me. It was 300 per arch, so a total of 600. I could afford it, but saw no real reason to spend 600 on it.

I just got mine and I'm 28. When I was a teen, my mom was single and working freelance so there was no way she could afford it. Then as a young adult, I was in a situation of domestic violence so my teeth were the least of my worries. So right now is the only time in my life I can do it. And since the treatment is going to last 3 years, I'll probably be pregnant and wearing braces. I'm tiny, I'm bound to get mistaken for a teen and get some stares when in public transportation and such. Can't wait to show them my ring and say "what? I'm 30 and married!" :whistle:

I am 33 and have them. I have had them on for 2 years...amazingly I must just look old because no one ever cards me :)

My mom got her's sometime in her twenties and I think she was pregnant with her 5th child. She mave have had them during mine but of course I don't remember. ;) I do however remember her and I having tug-of-wars over her retainer. I wanted to wear it and she didn't want me to. Since I was just a toddler, she would win the tugging contest but she didn't always catch me before I popped the thing in my mouth.

So not a big deal if you are pg while wearing braces, just watch out for toddlers thinking those are the coolest thing ever. ;)

side note, I always wanted braces. They looked so cool and after you get perfect teeth. Nevermind I have straight teeth, they're cool. But what I know, I also wanted glasses and to be able use crutches as a kid too. :roll:

An old boss' wife, who worked in the office as the bookeeper, had braces in her early 40's. She grew up with money and married money; I forget why she put it off for so long, but she had them at her youngest son's bar-mitzvah!

I vaguely recall an episode early in this "season," which was presented totally out of sequence, that mentioned Jinger, Joseph and Joy all got braces at the same time. They showed Jinger and Joseph getting them; thankfully they spared Joy the embarrassment.

Don't you have to get the clear braces refitted frequently? (Oh, would I have killed to have those! ...Of course, those probably would not have been a good idea, seeing as I managed to stretch out my "sentence" of wearing braces from 2 years to 5 because I kept ripping bits off... :snooty: ) I'd say, that if the refitting thing is the case, they probably don't want to have to go back to the dentist so often? (Save poor Joy some awkwardness, come on!) :roll: I got my braces off a couple years ago and my temporary retainer was a set of those invisible braces, actually.

Guest Anonymous
Why not get clear? My daughter has clear and they are the same price as metal!

Probably so she won't defraud some boy with her blinding white smile.

Guest Anonymous

I have noticed this too. Even with her smiling, her eyes look so tired. I wonder who her buddy is and if she's up all night because of a needy toddler. Or does she have to share her bed now and her sister is a sleep-kicker?

It's not just the eyes. What the hell is a 13-year-old doing with worry lines in her forehead? You could bury a Winnebago in several of them.

I was thinking the same thing, she has crow's feet and some wrinklage under her eyes. That poor girl is overworked and underpaid and Michelle always looks so refreshed.

As for braces, I just had some put on, and I'm 29! But for me, having them is much cooler than my horribly crooked teeth. I view them as accessories and my toddler loves looking at them while my baby loves butting his head into them (I think it hurts him more than me). I could have had clear in the front (Damon system only offers them up front, on top), but the woman I chatted with just had them and said she had both versions and the clear was worse to deal with. Breaking off happened more often and removal was worse when all of them were permanently removed at the end of her session.

Don't you have to get the clear braces refitted frequently? (Oh, would I have killed to have those! ...Of course, those probably would not have been a good idea, seeing as I managed to stretch out my "sentence" of wearing braces from 2 years to 5 because I kept ripping bits off... :snooty: ) I'd say, that if the refitting thing is the case, they probably don't want to have to go back to the dentist so often? (Save poor Joy some awkwardness, come on!) :roll: I got my braces off a couple years ago and my temporary retainer was a set of those invisible braces, actually.

There are 2 different kinds of clear braces. Invisalign which can't be used for major teeth moving like mine. They are the tray style sort of braces, but in order to get them (and they were 1k more) I would have still had to have been in traditional braces for a year which would have doubled my cost.

There are the ceramic/tooth colored braces that are wire and bracket but lower profile. Sometimes they also aren't a good choice and for me they were 300 more an arch or 600 total.

I am making the choice, but the truth is I don't think sparing a teenager some awkward moths is worth the extra money.

I've had braces now for a while and to me they are a pain in the butt! I get canker sores in my mouth a lot and that just bugs me to no end! I feel sympathy for Joy.

Still think she's a cutie. But I agree her eyes look exhausted. Poor thing.

As far as the worry lines on her forehead, i could be because of the way she is smiling, raising her brow. My forehead wrinkles up just like Joys when I raise my eyebrows. Been that way my whole life. Kind of annoying actually.

Archived