IGNORED

Sparkling Adventures Blog

StarrieEyedKat

But, but she contributes sparkle. Not the kind you can glue on a collage, but sparkle nonetheless.

I think it's entirely possible that she thinks that. She's the "famous" lady from the blog/AWW/news/newspaper - so her mere authentic presence is more than anyone else could possibly contribute.

Or something like that. :roll:

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone else feel that if David gets locked up and she's allowed to sell the house/car she'll move to Tassie? She's being so gushy-gushy about Tasmania and her "family' here. Plus housing is really cheap here, she could buy a small house and travel around crashing homeschool events and birthday parties.

That would suck.

Just as long as she stays out of SA.

We are very inauthentic in SA.

Just so she knows.

I don't really think any place could possibly be authentic enough for Her Sparkliness long term, since everyone always seems to get sick of her mooching posthaste.

Just so she knows.

I don't really think any place could possibly be authentic enough for Her Sparkliness long term, since everyone always seems to get sick of her mooching posthaste.

QFT.

I think one of the main appeals of being nomadic for Lauren is that she gets many shallow friendships and much positive reinforcement, then moves on before those friendships deepen enough for people to question her lifestyle/parenting, ask her to contribute physically, financially or emotionally, or scratch below the sparkly surface.

I don't see her fitting into an established commune or alternative lifestyle community.

In looking back through the blog I'm struck by the number of pictures of David lending a hand at the various homes they crash at. He helps paint and build things, all sorts of hands-on, sweaty jobs. And he looks happy to be helping. I think Lauren needs to remember that she doesn't have him around doing that anymore, so when they are mooching she needs to step up and help out.

Recent unlurker..hi there. I always thought David's active participation in the homes they visited looked overbearing, especially in kitchens, all that "here have a sparkly vegan meal because it's soooooo authentic".

As for Poatina village, it doesn't sound like a place for moochers. Too bad Lauren. :oops:

he Story of Poatina Village

Poatina, a “community of hope†brings together a superb tourist venue, a spontaneous Village which believes “it takes a community to raise a childâ€.

‘Poatina’ was purchased by a Christian youth and community organization Fusion Australia (which is now International) in 1995. An Aboriginal word meaning “shelter†or “caveâ€, Poatina provides a unique opportunity to care for homeless and unemployed young people in a supportive atmosphere.

Over a number of years Fusion’s experience has confirmed the conviction that lives are changed when young people come into contact with a vigorous community modeling effective values, which itself has regular and meaningful contact with the broader community.

Many people have been profoundly affected by contact with Poatina. Within days people feel at home in a special way – even visiting tourists!

Poatina is a beautiful village 60km from Launceston and 170km from Hobart. It enjoys spectacular and majestic views of the Great Western Tiers, and is surrounded by the best of Tasmania’s inland fishing rivers & lakes. Being in the heart of Tasmania, it is in easy reach of all major tourist destinations and makes the ideal location for a family holiday.

Built in the late 1950’s, the Village boasts superb facilities including a 3 star Golden Chain Motel, Mountain View Restaurant, Mountain Cottages, Backpackers hostel, 54 brick veneer houses, Community Hall, Offices, General store, Opp shop, Gift shop, Service Station, Post Office, Metal Fabrication Workshop, Recording Studio, Arts Centre, Hot Glass Studio, Training Centre, Kinder to Yr 12 Trinity School, audio studio, HeartFM community radio station, 9 hole golf course, tennis court, Swimming Centre, Playground, free electric BBQs and 24 hour Public Toilets.

The township and golf course are set on 100 acres of land, with an additional 350 acres of surrounding bushland and pasture.

Legal ownership of houses is by way of Stratum Title and Poatina has its own Body Corporate. The Chalet, educational and community buildings are owned and managed by Fusion.

I was reading a GOMI thread totally unrelated to Lauren when someone brought up the blog and wrote the following:

"I was being a bit snarky. WHile the naked photo is a worry, her photography is beautiful and her prose is pretty inoffensive. She writes without self-aggrandisement and without commercial intent. I particularly like the posts about parking the van in a rough inner-city area of sydney and the stories of the struggling people they made friends with. She has a great social conscience."

Mind = blown.

It's amazing how different my (our?) interpretation of Lauren is compared to this commenter. I would say Lauren's writing is extremely self-aggrandising, and that story she's referring to about inner city Sydney (where Lauren showered at the local dealer's house) is one of the most alarming and horrific stories on her site. Very interesting.

The caption for the IG photo of Aisha in the hotel,

She misses the bus so much, she made up a bed on a sideboard that's about the same size as her sleeping cupboard.

My bet is she misses the only remotely stable thing in her life recently, and tried to recreate the security and familiarity of her cozy sleeping space.

I was reading a GOMI thread totally unrelated to Lauren when someone brought up the blog and wrote the following:

"I was being a bit snarky. WHile the naked photo is a worry, her photography is beautiful and her prose is pretty inoffensive. She writes without self-aggrandisement and without commercial intent. I particularly like the posts about parking the van in a rough inner-city area of sydney and the stories of the struggling people they made friends with. She has a great social conscience."

Mind = blown.

It's amazing how different my (our?) interpretation of Lauren is compared to this commenter. I would say Lauren's writing is extremely self-aggrandising, and that story she's referring to about inner city Sydney (where Lauren showered at the local dealer's house) is one of the most alarming and horrific stories on her site. Very interesting.

Yeah, I don't know how someone can get that from it, particularly the posts they made in Sydney that trip (which was also when they lost a toddler at the Chinese New Year parade and Lauren's bag got snatched from the van cause they parked in one of the most notorious housing estates in the city when they had the whole fucking city to choose from). It's also when they (home and business owners) went and hit up charities for stuff they didn't need and subsequently dumped to clear space.

It's the perfect example of her narcissism and lack of self awareness. I personally don't really have a problem with the naked shots of the little kids (although some of the videos are worrying). I wouldn't do it personally, but its the least if Lauren's many issues.

I believe they were in Redfern when that happened. I've been to Redfern (at about the same time as their trip, actually) and it is not a place I felt safe in. When I was in the train station there were a bunch of kids (maybe 13 or 14) who were clearly tweaked out and they were openly drinking.

Also I don't believe sleeping and cupboard should really be used together when dealing with a child. Not as their permanent bed, anyway.

ETA: The thread was about another blogger posting nude pics of her child with Down Syndrome, which is why someone mentioned Lauren's blog - the nude Del picture. The thing is, Lauren is constantly moving around so she's a much harder target for pedophiles if they saw Del online. This other blogger had her full address as her business addy and it was easily Googleable, which was the big issue - someone could look at her blog/instagram and know her address and house layout. She now has a PO box attached to her business address and I think either instagram removed the pics or she did herself after people began posting sponsor links encouraging people to report her for violating TOS.

They camped by the vert ramp because they were low on fuel and the gas station was closed. So it's totally cool to just camp where the fuck ever she wants to.

Someone came by and offered to get them to open the gas station for her, but she declined. I think that might have been his way of politely asking her to leave.

I was going back through the blog a bit today and found this gem from shortly before Elijah died:

[attachment=0]june 3, 2012.png[/attachment]

It's chilling when you consider how Elijah died. The fallen tree in question is a bridge over a gorge.

The one of a child balancing on the handrail of a ridge over a river is worse. It was around the middle of December.

I believe they were in Redfern when that happened. I've been to Redfern (at about the same time as their trip, actually) and it is not a place I felt safe in. When I was in the train station there were a bunch of kids (maybe 13 or 14) who were clearly tweaked out and they were openly drinking.

Also I don't believe sleeping and cupboard should really be used together when dealing with a child. Not as their permanent bed, anyway.

They were in Redfern/ Waterloo. That public housing block is notorious for drugs and violence, and is not somewhere I would take my child. There are lovely areas a five minute drive in each direction that would have been much nicer and safer, I have no idea why they decided to park in one of the most socially dysfunctional and dangerous places in inner Sydney when they could have gone anywhere.

I think it was two blocks away from her dad. That was her excuse, anyway. A piss poor one, since she could have stayed with him or in a hotel or parked in a caravan park and driven there or just about anything other than what she actually did.

So I just looked at her instagram. How "authentic" is a full face of makeup, eyeshadow and lipstick included?

And, my (nonexistent) respect for dreadlocks as a hairstyle has plummeted now I realise they take more maintenance than any other long style.

I think it was two blocks away from her dad. That was her excuse, anyway. A piss poor one, since she could have stayed with him or in a hotel or parked in a caravan park and driven there or just about anything other than what she actually did.

Driven two blocks in the opposite direction would have been a great start.

So I just looked at her instagram. How "authentic" is a full face of makeup, eyeshadow and lipstick included?

And, my (nonexistent) respect for dreadlocks as a hairstyle has plummeted now I realise they take more maintenance than any other long style.

Lauren (the self consciously "alternative" mama who doesn't buy into western ideals of beauty) is the only full time mum of little kids I know who wears a full face of makeup (including eyeliner) every day.

Dreadlocks are nothing but upkeep, no matter what Lauren would have us believe. There's the initial dreading, which involves rolling, waxing and matting your hair for hours and hours (I believe this is the method she used, there are others, but this method gives insta-dreads), then to wash you have to lather and wring them out (which obviously takes more time than washing regular hair), you need to pay to get them tuned up as they grow and with white hair they often slip out or have trouble taking. If you don't wash them regularly they stink and if you don't wash out the soap properly they get nasty too.

I used to love dreads until a friend clued me in to how much work they are. I'm extremely white so I'd look like Lauren with them, no doubt - as in, clueless white hipster who thinks her dreads make her alternative but they really just make people roll their eyes.

Just so she knows.

Second that Vex! It was bad enough that Hellena and Currywhatsit were in Peterborough and then Mt Barker.

But given that it's Fringe at the moment and she hasn't turned up maybe we're safe.

Second that Vex! It was bad enough that Hellena and Currywhatsit were in Peterborough and then Mt Barker.

But given that it's Fringe at the moment and she hasn't turned up maybe we're safe.

Oh, there isn't enough bleach in the universe to cleanse Peterborough and Mt. Barker after hurricane Helldong (my personal portmandeu for Hellena x Curradong) rampaged through there. I think Fringe is too mainstream for Lauren. Maybe Womadelaide? It's actually kind of funny how she never mentions SA. Seems like she goes just about everywhere else. But that's fine, we don't need a repeat of the Beaumont children.

Every time I read that blog I wonder which day is the one where Lauren's neglect finally catches up to those girls and then hope it never happens.

^^ yup. It's almost like we're expecting the worst but hoping against hope that the poor kids won't be too damaged. There's always hope for them just like Saffy in AbFab right?

And Helldong - love it!

It's so funny you mentioned Saffy, I always think of her when I see Aisha trying to fend for her siblings and for herself! I think that poor girl will probably be out of there the minute she's 18, if she doesn't seek to emancipate herself earlier. That or she'll be sucked into Lauren's vortex of drama and she'll end up being an indentured slave, Sarah Maxwell style.

I think Helldong sums up Hellena and Currawong to perfection, really. They bring hell on earth to whoever they stay with, and if they have sex even half as much as they seem to that's pretty much their primary function in life.

It's so funny you mentioned Saffy, I always think of her when I see Aisha trying to fend for her siblings and for herself! I think that poor girl will probably be out of there the minute she's 18, if she doesn't seek to emancipate herself earlier. That or she'll be sucked into Lauren's vortex of drama and she'll end up being an indentured slave, Sarah Maxwell style.

I think Helldong sums up Hellena and Currawong to perfection, really. They bring hell on earth to whoever they stay with, and if they have sex even half as much as they seem to that's pretty much their primary function in life.

Unfortunately I see Aisha running off with the first man who shows her love and the shot at stability. I hope I'm wrong.

Lauren sticks to the East Coast pretty hard, for all that she's a free wheeling nomad. I'm waiting for her to take her dreads to some remote indigenous communities in central Australia or the Northern Territory and see how much acceptance they buy her privileged middle class self. Well not really, cause it could be dangerous for the kids, but it would certainly be interesting to hear her cries of "I relate to you! I have dreads! I live in self imposed poverty when I can't get donations while I drive round in my $80,000 vehicle cause I'm too authentic to live in my lovely suburban home! My kids don't have access to school or fresh water and sanitation either, though they do have lovely ipads, do you have wifi? I lived in Africa while my missionary parents lived on 100 times the local income! Kooris I've met at festivals say I'm authentic and connected to the land! I'm one of you!". She's just so fucking pretentious and entitled and unaware of how lucky her circumstances of birth were.

I'm really glad she sticks to the east coast. I would call DHS & report her if she even mentioned 'the outback'. It WOULD end in disaster.

Also somebody I know has spent a lot of time in Arnhem land & seems to be well liked the by locals. He is the son of multi-millionares. However he is very unassuming & laid back & not a middle class tourist like Ms Sparklez.

Archived