IGNORED

Fundies and the Flu

starfish

My doctor advises me to get a flu shot every year because of a medical condition I have. I've never had a bad reaction, just some redness, swelling, and a little soreness for a day. I'll take that that over the flu any day.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the shot once and my arm hurt for a week. Then I realized that I never actually get the flu, so I quit bothering. Who knows why, maybe because I had that Hong Kong flu in the 60's, I was very young and wouldn't remember and my mom is deceased (and dad remembers nothing about those things.)

That describes the MSM's diet, except without anything fresh. It seems like the Paine's rarely eat any protein. You know those kids cry for food. I bet she's obsessed with keeping them underfed and therefore not obese. The Paine's have money to spend on quality food, but they just won't do it.

She put a note in her blog that she *heard* that the flu was so bad this year because the vaccine was not a good match. Notice that she didn't say she

took the vaccine. Also, she is incorrect about the "bad match".

That describes the MSM's diet, except without anything fresh. It seems like the Paine's rarely eat any protein. You know those kids cry for food. I bet she's obsessed with keeping them underfed and therefore not obese. The Paine's have money to spend on quality food, but they just won't do it.

She put a note in her blog that she *heard* that the flu was so bad this year because the vaccine was not a good match. Notice that she didn't say she

I followed her for a while back during my couponing days and she has always frightened me a bit. I think a lot of those obsessive couponers/cheapskate moms avoid buying healthy food because they have so much processed crap coming in. I avoided processed crap so it was hard for me to coupon, lol.

NPR had somebody on this morning saying that all three strains were a good match and that two thirds of those immunized were protected.

I've never got a flu jab in my life, and I've never got the flu. People always seem to say they've got the flu when they have nothing of the sort. I bet they all just have really bad colds and can get away with feeling sorry for themselves, like you say,it's not like they are missing school or work.

Ditto X 1,000. I'm sick of people telling me to get the flu shot when I've never gotten the flu. If my immune system gets to the point where I contract the flu, then I'll consider it. But at this point, my immune system seems to be handling it fine. Just to completely jinx myself, I've been exposed to the stomach bug three times this winter and so far (wow, I'm really asking for it!) I havent' caught it.

Side note: I was totally going to use the smiley with the syringe. But, upon further obsevation, it's a tube of KY Jelly not a syringe, LOL.

Ditto X 1,000. I'm sick of people telling me to get the flu shot when I've never gotten the flu. If my immune system gets to the point where I contract the flu, then I'll consider it. But at this point, my immune system seems to be handling it fine. Just to completely jinx myself, I've been exposed to the stomach bug three times this winter and so far (wow, I'm really asking for it!) I havent' caught it.

Side note: I was totally going to use the smiley with the syringe. But, upon further obsevation, it's a tube of KY Jelly not a syringe, LOL.

Ever had a cold so bad that you woke up feeling as if you had been beaten all over with hammers, and the day just got worse?

Cycled from chills to fever and back again several times an hour, for a day or more?

Had your short-term memory go to hell? I mean, had a conversation in which you decided on A not B with somebody and then walked off and literally 30 seconds later asked somebody on the same project when you could come in and do B not A?

Had so much postnasal drip that you coughed until you gagged, or just plain threw up snot?

Had so little energy that you spent an entire morning getting yourself a glass of juice?

Slept for twice your normal sleep span? Repeatedly?

If so, you have most likely had influenza.

But there are people who just plain do not get sick.

Discussing flu vaccine...Does anyone know a likely easy spot to get preservative-free vaccine this late in the season? None of my doctors have it. Although one office did tell me not to worry about it as what this area is being hit with is a bronchial virus rather than flu.

The Muncks' blog has been a steady stream of sickness updates for the past week or so. Their little girls and their son with DS seem to have been hit the hardest with flu, but are getting over it now.

Discussing flu vaccine...Does anyone know a likely easy spot to get preservative-free vaccine this late in the season? None of my doctors have it. Although one office did tell me not to worry about it as what this area is being hit with is a bronchial virus rather than flu.

All pharmacies should have it available- it is Flu-zone brand and is typically given in peds offices, but is fine for adults. You might also try your GYN as they give that to OB patients as well. When you call jut ask if they have that specific brand- many people don't know that it's thimerosal free.

Thank you! Being a cautious sort I checked their literature. The 10 dose multi-vial has thimerosol so I'll have to ask questions about it. I used to have to go down the hall from dr office for my updates to get the ped version. Then the pediatrician moved. Thankfully they took thimerosol out of most vaccines.

ETA: It looks like the three closest drug stores/pharmacies all carry the thimerosal free subdermal!

I think norovirus is going around here, and I've been surprised at how many people have mentioned wondering if it was the flu. Generally, the flu involves a cough and sore throat, which norovirus doesn't. And Norovirus involves the gastro symptoms, which flu usually does not.

I think there are a lot of people who are confused about what the flu is, and is not. If you've ever had it, though, you know! I felt like my bones were going to break with any effort, and like someone was stabbing my joints with ice picks, and it lasted for ages.

I gave a bunch of those this year, and the patients remarked that they couldn't even feel it! It's a great alternative.

I had my flu shot on sat, and I noticed it was a smaller spike than an insulin syringe. I will say I had no bruising or soreness on my arm at all. I did sleep 12 hours straight the day after with a bit of wooziness on the first and third days. TBS I'm glad I got the shot I procrastinated this year.

Archived