IGNORED

What would YOU preach on the street corner?

O Latin

I was reading the persecution at ComicCon thread and trying to imagine what it might be like to believe in something so strongly that you thought you had to go stand on the street corner and preach about it. So I want to know, if you had to go stand on a street corner somewhere and shout at passersby about something, what would it be?

I would talk about common historical misperceptions and all the reasons why they aren't always true. Of course, in reality I would be a horrible street preacher, no matter what the topic, because I'm too shy to draw that much attention to myself in public.

I like the Free Hugs movement and would probably "preach" that. In fact, I think I'm going to watch one of the videos again.

Guest Anonymous
I like the Free Hugs movement and would probably "preach" that. In fact, I think I'm going to watch one of the videos again.

I appreciate the concept of Free Hugs, but I would never participate. I don't like to touch people that I don't know. Hell, I dodge most of my family members when they try to hug me. I freely admit that I have weird personal space issues.

Make Naps, Not War!

I would be a proud demonstrator, I sleep really well. :)

Spay and Neuter. Tip at restaurants.

Lissar, don't feel bad. I'm really weird about touching people too- I hug my boyfriend and my dog and that's really about all the physical contact I need or want.

Give Pug Hugs... meaning with nothing behind it but love.

Give Cheeses a Chance

And in the words of Bill and Ted, Be excellent to each other.

"The end is nigh! Don't miss the season finale of Covert Affairs!"

Alternately: "Just say NO to floral calico!"

I appreciate the concept of Free Hugs, but I would never participate. I don't like to touch people that I don't know. Hell, I dodge most of my family members when they try to hug me. I freely admit that I have weird personal space issues.

I understand. I'm not big on touching but if someone wants a hug, I don't have too much of a problem to give it to them (I took care of a crazy lady during one of my (non-psych) nursing clinicals and even gave her a hug when she asked for it, though I was half waiting for her to try to stab me in the back with something)

What if someone stinky wants a hug?

I'd hug them. Stinky people need hugs too you know.

if god really loved humans he would have made dogs live longer.

Cats, too.

Also, I'm in on the naps thing. Hear, hear!

"You're doing okay! Keep going! Ask for help if you need it! You are good human being! You deserve respect!"

I wouldn't street preach, though. I am planning on making tracts. (Really. My sister's already made up 'You are a good parent' cards to hand to overwhelmed mothers on trains.)

Guest Anonymous
"You're doing okay! Keep going! Ask for help if you need it! You are good human being! You deserve respect!"

I wouldn't street preach, though. I am planning on making tracts. (Really. My sister's already made up 'You are a good parent' cards to hand to overwhelmed mothers on trains.)

I love this idea!!!

Guest Anonymous

Awwww, how lovely! (Both parts)

I'm kind of socially awkward, solitary and anxious IRL so I don't do super well with people I don't know (my best friend calls it my "Author Complex" - she's convinced it's my 'calling' :roll: ), in addition to not being super passionate about anything. I guess if I had to pick something, it would be "We Are One", but that's kind of, you know, "Paint with all the Colours of the Wind" and I'd embarass myself. So it would have to be on a very big sandwich board within which I could cower.

In all seriousness, though, we are. Kumbayaaaa! :romance-grouphug:

"Your job is not you and your fellow workers are not your enemies! Organise collectively and don't let the bosses grind you down! There's help if you need it, don't give up! It's not immigrants to blame if you lost your job, but capitalism itself! Come and talk to me and if I can't help you I will find someone who can."

A confused message, I'd hope to do a bit better :oops: but that would be the essence.

Yes, unions all the way, if I were union myself and knew whereof I spoke.

Or, stand on the corner with a basket of all kinds of out-of-print paperbacks--poetry, SF, fantasy, Heyer's hilarious Regency romances, classic mysteries, etc. "Here's a really good book to read on your lunch hour. It's about a grumpy little old lady from a blue-collar neighborhood who runs away to become an artist and ends up being the first ambassador to an alien species. Oh, here you go--beautiful poetry about love and relationships, classic rhyme schemes and very witty. How about a sidesplitting romance about a girl from a country parsonage who everyone mistakes for a fabulously wealthy heiress? Dystopian fiction? We have that too. Ever read Brave New World? Here it is with the author's introduction. Here's an obscure post-apocalyptic novel called The Godwhale, very 1970s, but vivid writing and full of surprises. Hey, did you know that the guy who wrote The Lord of the Rings did short stories too? No, no, they're all free! Enjoy."

jenny_islander, your books idea! I LOVE THIS!!!

That would honestly be so fantastic. People would actually like the book corner person whereas street preachers turn people off.

Is there a reason you are not union or are you self employed?

if god really loved humans he would have made dogs live longer.

(kind of off topic)

It has never been long enough when you have to take one on that last ride to the vet. My Mitzi would have been 15 years old in a few days.

Abby, my oldest daughter's dog (attached to her since day one) is 14 1/2 years old-- I DREAD DREAD DREAD that day.

And I will never understand people who dump their old dog at the pound (happens all the time).

Spay and Neuter. Tip at restaurants.

Lissar, don't feel bad. I'm really weird about touching people too- I hug my boyfriend and my dog and that's really about all the physical contact I need or want.

Corollary to my other thread hijack.

I also like the book idea. :-)

I guess if I were to "preach" something, it would be (as said in the bumper sticker thread), focus on your own d*** family.

Which, of course, is the antithesis to preaching on the street corner.

oh, how i love the "you're a good parent" cards. that's so awesome.

i guess i'd go with something around the Golden Rule/Pay It Forward concept. Random Acts of Kindness or Random Acts of Hilarity.

Yes, unions all the way, if I were union myself and knew whereof I spoke.

Or, stand on the corner with a basket of all kinds of out-of-print paperbacks--poetry, SF, fantasy, Heyer's hilarious Regency romances, classic mysteries, etc. "Here's a really good book to read on your lunch hour. It's about a grumpy little old lady from a blue-collar neighborhood who runs away to become an artist and ends up being the first ambassador to an alien species. Oh, here you go--beautiful poetry about love and relationships, classic rhyme schemes and very witty. How about a sidesplitting romance about a girl from a country parsonage who everyone mistakes for a fabulously wealthy heiress? Dystopian fiction? We have that too. Ever read Brave New World? Here it is with the author's introduction. Here's an obscure post-apocalyptic novel called The Godwhale, very 1970s, but vivid writing and full of surprises. Hey, did you know that the guy who wrote The Lord of the Rings did short stories too? No, no, they're all free! Enjoy."

I love this idea.

Archived