IGNORED

I feel bad for Olivia

longskirts

I'm so confused by her posts on how hard it is to dress for church. I don't think the other churchgoers care about her wardrobe that much, or if they do maybe it's time to find a new church.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm so confused by her posts on how hard it is to dress for church. I don't think the other churchgoers care about her wardrobe that much, or if they do maybe it's time to find a new church.

If weekly church was your only chance to convince a young man that god was inspiring him to court you, and thus get off the farm and away from mothering and schooling your younger siblings and running a household for your sick and demanding mother, then it would probably take on a lot more importance for you.

If weekly church was your only chance to convince a young man that god was inspiring him to court you, and thus get off the farm and away from mothering and schooling your younger siblings and running a household for your sick and demanding mother, then it would probably take on a lot more importance for you.

You're probably right. I do feel bad for Olivia but the sheer shallowness of her blog is incredibly grating.

Like with much of the fundie blogosphere, we only get a carefully filtered sliver of reality. I've read her blog, Mama's blog, Sister's blog, --and still have no clue what this family does to support itself. They seem to have adequate financial resources, so DaddySir must have a job that pays reasonably well, but he's hardly mentioned. I find this interesting, because so many other SAHD blogs are Daddy-centric. My Spidey sense tells me that there's an firm hand not too far behind the scenes here, with a sick mother and this many little ones-- someone is calling the shots, and the someone who's telling the story is being very careful to keep any negative connotations off of that authority figure.

I think if she had broader horizons, she'd be a lovely person to know. She mentions frequently that she doesn't like to read, though; it shows in her writing and it's a shame that a whole world of ideas is at arm's reach and not accessible to her.

What really comes through in reading her is that Appearances Are Everything: how you dress and present yourself and your family to the world is the only reality that matters. All else is, unfortunately, a big secret.

I'd like to think that, if she lived in the Mainstream World, she would be studying something fashion-related in college.

Yeah. At the very least, she would probably enjoy working in a clothing or accessories shop. She never, ever posts about how great homeschooling is..... I can't imagine that she's truly wanting to spend her time that way.

Archived