IGNORED

I feel bad for Olivia

longskirts

I don't think it's rude as long as your "privates" are covered. (Not that I've done it, but that's only because I'm paranoid that they'll get soaked if it rains and then I'll have nothing to wear for bed, lol).

Anyway, we weren't there. The PJ pants could have been jogging bottoms. I definitely feel it's ruder to comment on them. If it's not affecting her, why would she need to mention it?

I think before a person opens one's mouth (or posts on the internet, snark forums being the exception of course) there are always three questions to ask of what one is about to say:

[list=]Is it true?

Is it kind?

Is it necessary?

Commenting on what a total stranger is wearing? Totally unnecessary.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In some cultures (I include fundies in this group) admitting you are depressed is taboo. I find that people in this group will sometimes use a physical issue to mask depression. In these cases - it seems that no amount of investigation/treatment helps till you deal with the issue of depression. I suspect that Oliva's mother might be in this group.

Regardless of what her mother's health problems are, I think it is unfair and unnecessary for anyone to say "Well I did it so they should too". Should Olivia have to take over all the household duties? No, in a perfect world they would be able to get outside help or her mother would get better quickly. I feel for Olivia in this situation, but I would never tell an unhealthy woman to "get out of bed" because I think that I could do it better. If she is depressed or if she is sick, she may just be unable to do that, and that's ok regardless of how much I disagree with their lifestyle or religious choices. How I deal with illness is not how I expect the world to deal with illness. Having a farm, children, a home etc. to take care of doesn't preclude anyone from getting sick, nor does it mean they are entitled to less compassion than those who live alone or have less responsibilities. I find the bootstraps attitude toward illness to be somewhat cruel.

Seriously? What a straight up nasty thing to say. I was raised to not make fun of other people's clothing. It's terribly rude. Especially for someone who claims to be so modest.

Me too. You never know why someone dressed a certain way, either. I am very particular about what I'll wear out of the house. I will wear yoga pants and sweats at home, but not if I'm going out. Until September, when I got appendicitis and had post-surgery incisions on my stomach. I couldn't wear anything other than super-soft yoga pants or it hurt terribly. No one else probably noticed, but I was really embarrassed to be out wandering around in what, to me, is house-only loungewear. I would have been upset if someone commented on my attire.

Regardless of what her mother's health problems are, I think it is unfair and unnecessary for anyone to say "Well I did it so they should too". Should Olivia have to take over all the household duties? No, in a perfect world they would be able to get outside help or her mother would get better quickly. I feel for Olivia in this situation, but I would never tell an unhealthy woman to "get out of bed" because I think that I could do it better. If she is depressed or if she is sick, she may just be unable to do that, and that's ok regardless of how much I disagree with their lifestyle or religious choices. How I deal with illness is not how I expect the world to deal with illness. Having a farm, children, a home etc. to take care of doesn't preclude anyone from getting sick, nor does it mean they are entitled to less compassion than those who live alone or have less responsibilities. I find the bootstraps attitude toward illness to be somewhat cruel.

What should DaddySir be doing?

Depression can come right along with thyroid issues, too. It may be a combination of problems. I was incredibly depressed when my thyroid was out of whack. "Should be able to get out of bed" doesn't always translate into actually being able to do so with depression.

Hopefully the husband helps with the kids and house and it's just not obvious from the blog posts.

What should DaddySir be doing?

I think I was operating under the assumption that this just wasn't even an option and so didn't even remember that there was a husband involved! But of course you're right, he should be helping in every way possible. My issue is not with the fact that Olivia shouldn't be having to do all that work, it's more with placing the onus on the mother regardless of her ailments. The father and any other member of the household male or female should be helping, it wasn't my intention to remove responsibility from the husband.

Wow, think she posts a lot of photos of herself? Her sister has a blog and its last update her and Olivia had a photoshoot. There are a TON of pictures. Apparently Olivia likes to twirl so her skirt billows in about half her pictures.

I think on the Olivia is just too cute thread (or whatever it was called) it was mentioned that her mom has MS or something like it. If it is MS, and all these burdens are falling on their 19 year old, it's only going to get worse as her health declines. I can understand if she can't help with all the farm work anymore because of it. Though if that's the case,they should really sell or seriously downsize their farm. MS only gets progressively worse and has no cure.

I really don't see why she can't still homeschool her kids. If she can't do it anymore, then she needs to put them in a damn school. End of story. Letting a teenager play teacher is only hurting her kids.

ETA: The easy solution would be for dad to help out more, but I see those kids going to a regular school before I see that happening.

Olivia has not said anything on the blog about MS, as far as I know. She has just mentioned an adrenal problem.

Whatever the health issue is, it doesn't really matter. If she can't homeschool and there isn't another adult family member to step in, the kids should go to school and not be taught by their big sister.

I think Olivia, along with other Fundie girls with blogs, post so many "modest" pictures of themselves because it's really their only fun. They have to get up, work, take care of their siblings, homeschool their siblings, do more work, homeschool themselves, do more work, go to church, go to sleep. That's their life. And in Olivia's case, she is not only doing housework, but hard farm work. I feel bad for her and other fundie girls. Not excusing their lifestyles but it IS a lifestyle that has been pushed on them, their parents giving them no freedom to entertain other thoughts or ideas. No other pathways in life.

I think Olivia, along with other Fundie girls with blogs, post so many "modest" pictures of themselves because it's really their only fun. They have to get up, work, take care of their siblings, homeschool their siblings, do more work, homeschool themselves, do more work, go to church, go to sleep. That's their life. And in Olivia's case, she is not only doing housework, but hard farm work. I feel bad for her and other fundie girls. Not excusing their lifestyles but it IS a lifestyle that has been pushed on them, their parents giving them no freedom to entertain other thoughts or ideas. No other pathways in life.

Again I'm gonna call bullshit on the 'heavy farm work'. They have two feeder pigs and three feeder steers and a milk cow. Blossom the dairy cow gets milked in the field, which suggests she doesn't even have stall in a barn. Most likely she's got a shitty lean-to on the property. Please don't compound their exaggerations.

Again I'm gonna call bullshit on the 'heavy farm work'. They have two feeder pigs and three feeder steers and a milk cow. Blossom the dairy cow gets milked in the field, which suggests she doesn't even have stall in a barn. Most likely she's got a shitty lean-to on the property. Please don't compound their exaggerations.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. Heavy farm work, my rear.

She just seems quite pleased with herself, and this is the only chance she gets to feed her vanity while appearing humble. It's not quite God's Daughter level vanity, but it's getting there.

It's unfortunate. I dig her outfits (I know many here don't, but I think she's got some cute clothes), I wish she would just be honest and say "I like clothes and taking pictures of myself" instead of spinning it into tripe about holiness. Because there isn't a whole lot of modesty going on at that blog.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. Heavy farm work, my rear.

She just seems quite pleased with herself, and this is the only chance she gets to feed her vanity while appearing humble. It's not quite God's Daughter level vanity, but it's getting there.

It's unfortunate. I dig her outfits (I know many here don't, but I think she's got some cute clothes), I wish she would just be honest and say "I like clothes and taking pictures of myself" instead of spinning it into tripe about holiness. Because there isn't a whole lot of modesty going on at that blog.

There is a photo of DaddySir's truck getting bogged down when he was moving water to the pigs. That also suggests they don't have a tractor either.

Um, what?!

Awesome:

One of my closest friends getting engaged! They totally skipped the awkward courtship/dating portion and were able to go straight to engagement. That's the way to do it, folks. This is THE most awesome thing to happen... possibly ever in the history of these posts. :) So happy for them! "Practically perfect in every way..."

So now the "in" thing is to go straight into marriage without a courtship? I can't tell whether she truly believes the stuff she writes. [link=]http://freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2012/11/pony.html[/link]

And this is one of the many reasons it makes only sense for homeschooling to be controlled by the state. Fundies go on and on about how terrible public school teachers are, but how can you believe that a teenage older sibling is going to be better than any adult who has, you know, actually studied to do that job?

Well, yes. The teenage older sibling will continue the brainwashing whereas a teacher might actually know stuff and be open-minded.

They do have a tractor--she's posted pictures of it.

And I don't know, she talks about stuff like trying to toss hay bales and it being really hard and being in pain and seeing the chiropractor... so while their chickens and pigs and cow might be dinky compared to any real farm, it still might involve some things she struggles with or doesn't know how to do safely. Maybe she doesn't have the right equipment or know-how or whatever. After all, she was thrown into it at age 17 or 18 with no training.

And about the courtship... I hope fundies do not all start skipping courtship and just get engaged.

Um, what?!

So now the "in" thing is to go straight into marriage without a courtship? I can't tell whether she truly believes the stuff she writes. [link=]http://freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2012/11/pony.html[/link]

I caught that too and had the same reaction you did: WHAT?! :? I suppose it's possible if the guy and girl were friends before the engagement, but knowing what we do about fundies, it seems unlikely that they would allow friends of the opposite sex.

I think in Olivia's social circle there are some mixed-gender activities like country dancing and volleyball (to name a few things she talked about on the blog). So I can believe they were friends but I doubt they spent much time alone getting to know each other. There were probably always a bunch of other people around.

from her FAQ:

Have you gone to or are you in college?

No, I haven't gone to college nor do I plan to. I've thought about getting an online degree, but I'm not really the scholarly type and my time and brain is being used in other areas right now.

So the teenaged girl who was never scholarly is now homeschooling 3 other people? Am I reading this correctly? I wonder if she even has a GED.

from her FAQ:

So the teenaged girl who was never scholarly is now homeschooling 3 other people? Am I reading this correctly? I wonder if she even has a GED.

This is the kind of shit that makes my head explode when it comes to some home schoolers.

From an older post:

Did you know the name "Jezebel" means "Where's the prince?" Although she was married and her husband was King Ahab, she often acted as one not under the authority of an earthly head. She was independent in a terrible way, killing and manipulating at will. I found it encouraging that it is God's desire and purpose for us women to be under a man's authority, whether that's our daddy's or our husband's. It's His design starting in the Garden of Eden. It's His structure for us to submit, and we can rejoice in that!

For anyone who felt bad for her... :whistle:

ETA: Oh and!

Oh, and it was warm out today! Like, no fall "bite" and I wore sandles comfortably.

:clap: Is yurrr childrens learnin?

• 2 months later...

Everybody lost interest in sweet Olivia? :( ;D

From time to time I check her blog just to see if she ran off to the woods. I think she is sooo vain and constantly making you feel sorry for how much work she is doing (yah, we all admire you for your humble and meek spirit when it comes to bragging how little sleep you got last night...) and all that with a strong holier than thou attitude.

Although she always claims not to like taking pictures I think she looooves doing it! Who loves to wear heels and pearls for chores loves also a blog about her godly countenance.

In some years she's going to have a nervous breakdown...she's clearly overwhelmed by her life - which is totally normal, no 20 year old should take care of several siblings, run a household, take care of animals/farmstuff and develope some internet-blog/ebook-fame (or yt guru stuff, did you see her videos?)

That doesn't look like an 80's hairstyle to me.

Neither it does to me.. don't know what daddy told her about the 80s, but I guess she won't be referring to music videos, shows or other evil media...although she is on pinterest, but I guess her internet is also filtered?

Archived