IGNORED

"Godless" Culture?

O Latin

Hmm..maybe I need to read more about him. I just liked him because he didn't own slaves and since he was a Universalist I thought he might have been the hippie/progressive of the lot. Maybe I overestimate him.

This one is kinda funny, quoted from his Wikipedia page:

In 1796, Adams denounced political opponent Thomas Paine's criticisms of Christianity in his book The Age of Reason, saying, "The Christian religion is, above all the religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of wisdom, virtue, equity and humanity, let the Blackguard Paine say what he will."[90]

From a Christian perspective, I think it has more to do with morality. People are more open about sexuality and different family structures. There is more separation of church and state. Sure God is still mentioned but there are a lot of people that believe in God but do not attend church services or live a "moral life." Aka sex before marriage, openly gay, secular entertainment. Plus there are more people speaking out against Christianity and belief in God in general. I think that is what they mean by a "Godless" culture.

It always drives me crazy when people say "the founding fathers were X" because it's not like they all had identical beliefs. I bet they had some pretty awesome arguments about politics and religion.

Another reason to hate when people say "the founding fathers were X" is that for many of them their beliefs evolved throughout their lifetime.

The important thing is that they weren't trying to start a Christian theocracy. Or even a Christian nation. No matter what their personal religious beliefs.

What right does anyone have to say that myself or my culture are godless? Do they have the right to condemn others simply because they like different movies or music? Sounds to me as if they think they are god.

Archived