IGNORED

David and Priscilla updates

Deleted07

Wow I had no idea drop sided cots were illegal in the US. We have one but it looks nothing like that. I checked our safety regulations and they are definately legal here. How do you pick a child up out of a fixed side cot? I can't reach into ours unless my daughter is standing up.

Im in Australia and I too have a drop down cot...... now Im worried

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol: Thoughtful!

Is this baby still not born? I only check this thread to find out.

The cot thing. This 'drop side' safety issue does not appear to have crossed the pond. What was the issue with the cots?

It has, and its been here a while too. Before my daughter was born we went to buy a new cot and we couldn't find a drop side cot anywhere. This was 12 years ago.

It has, and its been here a while too. Before my daughter was born we went to buy a new cot and we couldn't find a drop side cot anywhere. This was 12 years ago.

Wow. When I bought my cot nearly ten years ago (I can't believe its been that long) they were all drop sided. I never used the drop side though, and actually ended up facing it to the wall, cause they all co slept til they were at least one.

http://www.mothercare.com/cots/nursery_ ... lt,sc.html

Most appear to have drop sides.

Can't believe they call their bedside cot 'Troll' :lol:

I hope the baby will sleep in a bassinet next to their bed for the first several weeks. That's usually what people do, right? It'll give the crib some time to lose the varnish smell. (Grunt).

When I moved into my current apartment two years ago, the landlord had just refinished the wood floor. It looked great, but that strong varnish smell didn't fully dissipate for about six months.

Anyway, the baby is due March 9, I think. I'm going to celebrate the arrival of the blessing by "gleaning" a bag of pecans from Jewel-Osco. ;^)

Edited for fat finger iphone typing.

Wow I had no idea drop sided cots were illegal in the US. We have one but it looks nothing like that. I checked our safety regulations and they are definately legal here. How do you pick a child up out of a fixed side cot? I can't reach into ours unless my daughter is standing up.

The mattress is usually at the highest raised setting (maybe 6-9 inches below the side rail?) until the baby begins to roll over, then it is dropped to the middle setting, which is usually good until the baby begins sitting up/pulling up, then it is dropped down to the lowest setting. So as we lowered our mattress, we didn't have to reach in so much because the kiddos were either sitting up or pulling up/standing.

Why do I love it so much that some of you call them cots? I know it's just what they are called where you live, but it makes me happy. Here a cot is a sort of bed that you'd see in a nurse's office in a school. Sort of a fold out deal. Are those also cots where you are or are they something different?

Why do I love it so much that some of you call them cots? I know it's just what they are called where you live, but it makes me happy. Here a cot is a sort of bed that you'd see in a nurse's office in a school. Sort of a fold out deal. Are those also cots where you are or are they something different?

That sounds like a camp bed.

Trolley, gurney or stretcher normally where I am. There again I wear pants under my trousers and a jumper is made of woolly stuff and NOT a dress :lol: :lol:

The new design came in about 3-4 years ago. I feel like a grandmother insisting Baby wants to sleep on his tummy or ride on your lap in the car when I think about it. I just can't get my head around it, despite evidence that it's safer.

They all look really low, but I have no idea what a short person does to put a sleeping baby down in one. This one's only just higher than the back of the chair.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/danas-s ... est-177959

Trolley, gurney or stretcher normally where I am. There again I wear pants under my trousers and a jumper is made of woolly stuff and NOT a dress :lol: :lol:

We'd call the ones in a hospital that you move a patient on a stretcher or gurney. The jumper thing...I was so confused for a while when I read Bridget Jones Diary...she was making fun of the guy's jumper. Finally realized it was a sweater! :)

One of my other favorites...a friend of mine in Australia talks about her kids "answering-back." Here we'd say "talking back."

In New Zealand a cot is strictly for babies. Anything an adult sleeps in is a bed or a stretcher if camping or being carted off to hospital.

My kids' cot has a drop down side. I must look the links later and see what the difference is. I think it was bought about five or six years ago, new.

I'm not sure David would be able to take the messiness that is childbirth. "I'll be in the waiting room, Best Friend! In my suit. Let me know when our blessing arrives!"

You know, I just have to say it. If Pris does deliver in the hospital, I can't help but think how David is possibly going to come across to medical staff....suit, the shocked looks over seeing childbirth, loudly praying and waving his Bible book, possibly declining drugs for his wife, and just his overall manner. I bet he will be quite the topic of conversation in the break room

I bet he will be quite the topic of conversation in the break room

My mom was a pediatric nurse for 35 years. She was always very protective of patient's privacy and never talked much about work around family, until the time when she treated a child whose parents were Christian Scientists. Lordy! My mom was livid over the lack of care and stupidity of the parents.

Yes, the nurses and doctors will loooooove to talk about David and Priscella, just not in the way David thinks they are talking about him. It makes me wonder if David is mistaking people's politeness for tacit approval of his behavior?

I'd love to be a fly in the room during the break time. Maybe there's a *gasp* gay doctor who sees through his facade.

The new design came in about 3-4 years ago. I feel like a grandmother insisting Baby wants to sleep on his tummy or ride on your lap in the car when I think about it. I just can't get my head around it, despite evidence that it's safer.

They all look really low, but I have no idea what a short person does to put a sleeping baby down in one. This one's only just higher than the back of the chair.

Honestly? I can't put him in it when he's sleeping. If he's fast asleep, my husband moves him, or he gets dropped the last inch with a prayer that he's really all the way asleep.

My mom was a pediatric nurse for 35 years. She was always very protective of patient's privacy and never talked much about work around family, until the time when she treated a child whose parents were Christian Scientists. Lordy! My mom was livid over the lack of care and stupidity of the parents.

Yes, the nurses and doctors will loooooove to talk about David and Priscella, just not in the way David thinks they are talking about him. It makes me wonder if David is mistaking people's politeness for tacit approval of his behavior?

My mom was a nurse for 17 years (med-surg floor) and she typically didn't talk about patients around us either, but there were exceptions when she was livid over families making dumb decisions.

Honestly? I can't put him in it when he's sleeping. If he's fast asleep, my husband moves him, or he gets dropped the last inch with a prayer that he's really all the way asleep.

We put a stool next to the crib so I could step up to put my daughter in the crib when she feel asleep in my arms. I still managed to wake her her up a few times so my husband had to help me put her down softly. It was very awkward.

I'm pregnant and already wondering how I'm going to put my child into her cot to sleep when I've a bump. Her mattress is very low but we have to have it that way as she pulls herself up. No way would I feel confident with a 30 year old fixed up cot my husband gleaned from his parents.

If it's a hospital birth, I wonder if there will be witnessing and the handing out of tracts. Does it not seem patronizing how David says, "Priscilla was so diligent sanding it." And as someone else pointed out, how odd that there are eleventy pictures of David and one of Priscilla.

Short person here! lol It was hard enough to put a sleeping baby in a drop side crib! I can't imagine doing it in one of the new ones. I seriously would probably have to climb up my 3-step stool with a sleeping toddler to put them in a solid side crib at its lowest setting. I would still probably have to drop them the last inch or 2.

We kept ours, though my husband reinforced it because my dad had put it together for baby #1 as a surprise and DID put the rail together wrong, which is why they were banned. My husband has made it safer than new. I couldn't bear to just throw it away, so I've kept it for our grandbabies down the road.

ETA: Riffles.

Im in Australia and I too have a drop down cot...... now Im worried

I googled and found this: http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/12/us- ... ns-240332/

It gives an idea of what the problem areas are with drop side cots/cribs and why the US banned them completely. It seems that some of the evidence may be anecdotal and/or the cribs that caused injury were not assembled right. But still :cry:

It is illegal here to sell them new or used, but I guess the Waller "heirloom" was a gift.

We've moved a lot and I've put the cot together four times. I can sooo see how it could get put together wrong as the drop side is a real PITA to get right. But if it is built correctly, I can't for the life of me see how a baby could strangle or suffocate itself with it.

Just to confuse matters, in parts of NZ, crib = beach house!

If it's a hospital birth, I wonder if there will be witnessing and the handing out of tracts. Does it not seem patronizing how David says, "Priscilla was so diligent sanding it." And as someone else pointed out, how odd that there are eleventy pictures of David and one of Priscilla.

If its in a hospital I can see that douche walking around filming shit, handing out tracts and getting his ass kicked for bothering laboring women.

Regardless of where she gives birth, I predict the majority of the pictures posted will be of him, many taken BY priscilla.

Archived