IGNORED

College is a waste of time, education is overrated.

OkToBeTakei

It is hard for me to understand their attitude toward education. I remember my great-grandmother, a woman who was a citizen of three countries in her lifetime due to being an unpopular religion, telling me to study hard because what's in your head is the only thing that cannot be taken from you. Her family survived times of immense turmoil because she had an education that made her useful and spoke several languages. Of all the ways my family fucked up, education was one way that they excelled. They made whatever sacrifices were necessary to educate their children well. I still tell my children, "Study hard, because knowledge is the only thing that no one can take from you."

There is no good religious reason to deny your children an education. Jews are people of the book and also people of books in general. They were so before Christ, and during and after his life. He studied hard and it sounds like he had immense Torah knowledge. Although I am not very religious, my knowledge of how a neuron passes a message is stored neatly beside memorized psalms and proverbs.

Postsecondary education is the farthest from useless. Ok, some degrees you get and they turn out to be useless. Some degrees are no longer enough to get you the job they would have gotten someone 20 years ago. But other types of postsecondary education are responsible for everything that allows us to have the standard of living we have today. I don't think refraining from getting a degree makes anyone a leech, but I completely agree that dismissing it as useless kind of does. Mine hasn't done a thing for me materially yet and I'm still benefiting from it a whole bunch. I love learning how the world works and the math and physics behind how we know what we know. I've got laboratory skills that can only be learned through hours and hours of practise, and I can't even begin to express how happy working in the lab and crunching numbers makes me feel.

IME, and it's sadly more extensive than I want to admit, most true Fundies are not providing even a middle school level of Science education. Depending upon their teaching formatting, they may or may not be just as deficient in History but it's really rare for a true fundie to get to middle school level science education.

I will be the first to admit that we WAY over-teach science (if that's even possible, which imo it's really not). I teach science, hands-on and in a near immersion style to my homeschoolers, to the point that even my 10th grader in Honors Biology complains that he is totally bored in science classes and the younger kids are even MORE bored in science in PS than he is. However, even if I look at the most basic core material that should be covered in the early Elementary school science courses, I've only ever known ONE true Fundie family who covered that level of Science and since she was die-hard Creationist, I really don't think she was truly teaching science since I don't give points for teaching it WRONG. The one we're working to correct his Fundie homeschooling education doesn't even hold a second grade level of science knowledge at 15 (and his math skills were also 2nd grade when he showed up though he's halfway through 5th grade now from HARD work and he's around 3-4th grade science skills now).

So, fundie children wouldn't even know they might find the cure to cancer because real science is considered witchcraft to these people. What truly irritates me though is those Fundies who are hypocritical about it. It's bad enough when the struggling, poverty stricken mother brags she will NOT allow her children to go to college but when the college educated couple shut the door to college to even just their daughters, it makes me see RED. Why was it okay for the parents to make THEIR choices but those are choices the children aren't even allowed to be exposed to!

Fundies would love it if we returned to the dark ages. To that, I also say fuck you! :obscene-birdiered:

No, they wouldn't. They just think that they would because they have a rose-coloured view of the past.

No, they wouldn't. They just think that they would because they have a rose-coloured view of the past.

In medieval times it was thought that a woman couldn't get pregnant unless both she and the man orgasmed. Maybe fundie women want to go back so they can improve their sex lives without being demanding...

I think denying your kids an education is child abuse. Every parent should want their child to do better than them.

If the kids do not want to go to college that's fine but what saddens me is like Josh Duggar wanted to be a lawyer now he is selling cars and Jill wanted to be nurse but now she is a midwife. I think Jed wants to be a movie producer but I doubt he will get any training or the opportunity to take classes for it.

FUCK YOU AND THE HORSES YOU RODE ON FUNDIE PARENTS! ESPECIALLY BOOB AND MULLET!

Postsecondary education is the farthest from useless. Ok, some degrees you get and they turn out to be useless. Some degrees are no longer enough to get you the job they would have gotten someone 20 years ago. But other types of postsecondary education are responsible for everything that allows us to have the standard of living we have today. I don't think refraining from getting a degree makes anyone a leech, but I completely agree that dismissing it as useless kind of does. Mine hasn't done a thing for me materially yet and I'm still benefiting from it a whole bunch. I love learning how the world works and the math and physics behind how we know what we know. I've got laboratory skills that can only be learned through hours and hours of practise, and I can't even begin to express how happy working in the lab and crunching numbers makes me feel.

I did not mean to infer anybody who does not have a further education is a leech. Far from it. But I think they the fundies leech off the education of others, whilst deriding it.

I have only one thing to say to Boob and Mullet: One size does not fit all (and don't worry, I'm not talking about condoms).

I think denying your kids an education is child abuse. Every parent should want their child to do better than them.

If the kids do not want to go to college that's fine but what saddens me is like Josh Duggar wanted to be a lawyer now he is selling cars and Jill wanted to be nurse but now she is a midwife. I think Jed wants to be a movie producer but I doubt he will get any training or the opportunity to take classes for it.

FUCK YOU AND THE HORSES YOU RODE ON FUNDIE PARENTS! ESPECIALLY BOOB AND MULLET!

I have to agree with you. I mean look at the Maxwell family, I am sure if Nathan or Christopher were in normal families they would have go to and exceled in college, I think BOTH Steve and Teri went, that is how they met.

Not everyone is cut out for college even if they get a good primary and secondary education. Not every job or career requires a degree. But having a degree opens up a lot of other jobs and careers.

I know a non-fundie with the "college is useless" attitude. He flunked out, unsurprisingly. He's always been the type to assume that he is 100% right, fuck anyone who disagrees. That is the root of what's wrong with the fundie approach to education. If college isn't useless, then it's full of bad influences wanting to corrupt your precious god-fearing snowflake. Fundies do not line being told they are wrong.

Which is part of why fundies who are homeschooled are so uneducated. Their parents think that all anyone needs is basic math, reading, writing, and Bible. So really, fundies never make it to the high school level in any subject. They realize they have no hope for college, even one that would suit their beliefs, but then rant about how useless college is anyway.

Come to think of it, its really not a fundie attitude at all. I was.surrounded by this bullshit growing up, not from family but everyone else.

Not everyone is cut out for college even if they get a good primary and secondary education. Not every job or career requires a degree. But having a degree opens up a lot of other jobs and careers.

I know a non-fundie with the "college is useless" attitude. He flunked out, unsurprisingly. He's always been the type to assume that he is 100% right, fuck anyone who disagrees. That is the root of what's wrong with the fundie approach to education. If college isn't useless, then it's full of bad influences wanting to corrupt your precious god-fearing snowflake. Fundies do not line being told they are wrong.

Which is part of why fundies who are homeschooled are so uneducated. Their parents think that all anyone needs is basic math, reading, writing, and Bible. So really, fundies never make it to the high school level in any subject. They realize they have no hope for college, even one that would suit their beliefs, but then rant about how useless college is anyway.

Come to think of it, its really not a fundie attitude at all. I was.surrounded by this bullshit growing up, not from family but everyone else.

Yeah, my in-laws are like that. Their devotion to and glorification of ignorance astounds me. And it's what I hate most about them. They're not fundies, but they are very like fundies in their derision of education, reading, and creativity.

I grew up in an urban non-fundie town where anyone who wanted to go to college and not work in a blue collar job was met with "Do you think you're too good for us?" Life was finishing high school, getting engaged, getting married , working at the plant, meeting your friends at the bar after work etc. Well guess what? The plant closed or moved to Malaysia etc. That mindset shows a childlike naivete that nothing will ever change and nothing bad can ever happen so why think? In fact, the fundies just do not want to think. They use religion like a mental novocaine. Oh, and I sound bitter because I'm the girl who got out of that town. I go back to see my mom (who kicked my butt to get ahead) and I love how my former classmates figure I just got lucky and stepped in it. Um, no you idiots. I worked and went to school and lived on Chef Boyardee and 5 hours of sleep for years while you saved up for nice set of wheels and trips down the shore and AC. Rant over.

I'm not so much upset that they are anti-college as much as it is an anti-learning attitude. Maxwells have a fear of exposure to new ideas. It's like they know in the back of the their head that there are stuff that will challenge their dogmatic beliefs. Safely ensconced in their world, they can continue to pretend that life is exactly as they are taught.

It is also hypocritical that the Maxwells still use hospitals and see doctors and use the internet and buy computers, yet they deprive their own children of the very tools that makes these things possible. I guess they assume that people made all these discoveries and inventions by sitting at home and reading textbooks (written by others who also wrote textbooks)? Oh well, the Maxwells will continue to live as they do until someone has a mental breakdown and/or dump the family for a real life.

Agree 100% about how hypocritical they all are. These fundies are users. I think someone else brought this up before but I will second it. People with higher education are ok if they work for the good of the patriarch and his family. Beyond that, the rest of the people in this world who don't believe like them aren't good enough to give the time of day to unless it involves handing out a tract or a snarky comment about how much happier the woman would be if she embraced her god given role as a helpmeet. I'd love to see them cast away all of their modern conveniences that came about by creativity, ingenuity and intelligence since they don't value these qualities for their own children.

"A waste of time" is an interesting judgement coming from people who hold a 31-year-old uneducated, unmarried daughter captive at home who wasn't even allowed to learn some real useful and serious craftsMANship. Who gets up in the morning, makes some funny looking breakfast, cleans, blogs a little, prays, prays, reads the Bible then prays some more, then "brush and brush and brush and brush her hair, and wonder, "when will my life begin?". (Just watched Rapunzel with my pupils.)

I picture a sarcastic Willy Wonka meme here... "tell me more about it"...

Yeah, my in-laws are like that. Their devotion to and glorification of ignorance astounds me. And it's what I hate most about them. They're not fundies, but they are very like fundies in their derision of education, reading, and creativity.

The same guy also said that whoever standardized the English language was probably molested as a child... I defriended him after that. I don't even.

Seems like that attitude is very common in small towns. "We don't need all this fancy book learnin' just to work at the Ford plant!" If anyone goes to college, they're just Really Smart and if you ever question anything they say, intellectual snobs who hate Jesus, babies, America, traditional marriage, and small towns. Never mind you want to do something other than work at the Ford plant, if Ford hasn't already shut it down and moved the operations to Mexico.

The same guy also said that whoever standardized the English language was probably molested as a child... I defriended him after that. I don't even.

Seems like that attitude is very common in small towns. "We don't need all this fancy book learnin' just to work at the Ford plant!" If anyone goes to college, they're just Really Smart and if you ever question anything they say, intellectual snobs who hate Jesus, babies, America, traditional marriage, and small towns. Never mind you want to do something other than work at the Ford plant, if Ford hasn't already shut it down and moved the operations to Mexico.

It's like you know them!!!

Dear fundies,

This one's from my mentor-teacher next semester. He teaches an AP Bible as Lit class:

"Fools despise wisdom and instruction."

- Proverbs 1:7

It's like you know them!!!

Wow I swear people make this shit up, but I know they don't :cry:

So if I go to Uni, I hate babies, Jesus and my country?

I think there is a lot of snobbery attached to higher education in many demographics. Sometimes it is just not the norm for the parents to encourage it, I have heard the 'that's not for the likes of us' conversation many times.

I have yet to hear it is because you hate Jesus :shock:

There again as part of society at large in Scotland Jesus is not your everyday casual topic of conversation. The weather is.

:greetings-wavegreen: Hello fundies! Please do the rest of the world a favor and give away/do not use the following:

1.) The Internet.

2.) Electricity

3.) Indoor plumbing

4.) Twinkies

5.) Cars

6.) Anything and everything that was not around before the mid-1800's.

7.) Modern medicine is excluded from this list for all children and pregnant women.

Since you are unwilling to contribute to the progress of humanity, why should you continue to reap the benefits of that which you and your ilk have not sown?

It's not so much that they haven't sown it - because I haven't invented anything myself, and thought I am professionally educated I am not an inventor or a researcher - it's also that they don't believe in it. They actually believe it's bad, except when it suits them. Most people haven't contributed towards those inventions/ideas/things, but they at least appreciate, understand and respect those who do.

Archived