IGNORED

Titanic books and zombies

Claddagh

I checked out two books from the library after hearing a long rant from a fundie about Titanic with zombies on board. Titanic is a big passion for me and I've enjoyed some monster mash ups.

My favorite rant was about how a man of that era would even dare allow a woman to be bitten or scratched by a zombie!

Captain Smith wasn't nearly as tough as he's portrayed in the books! The fundie knew this how...?

The zombie curse was brought on because someone, somewhere, did something bad! I did want to ask if it was a woman who did something bad as these groups seem to think anyone with a vagina is evil. The poor librarian was already getting an earfull and I didn't want to add to her misery so I didn't comment.

By now I've had a series of mental images including "Hey, steerage passenger! We know what you did! You didn't wash your hands when coming out of the bathroom! You've doomed us all you ungodly heathen!"

Another image I had was of all these male zombies polietely waiting for all the women and children to get into lifeboats before going to town on the male passengers and crew.

This is somehow begging to be written or illustrated.

The two books I checked out were Titanic of the Dead by Stephen Dymarcik and Deck Z by Chris Pauls and Matt Solomon.

I'm hiding my reviews of the books behind spoilers as they may contain key points to the books and I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

Titanic of the Dead

Spoiler

The book itself was okay. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't very good either. There's a great deal of typos and misspelled names and words in the book. There are very few paragraphs making it hard to understand who is the speaker and what time. I feel that the could have benefited with an editor.

The story itself is a mix up of survivor Lawrence Beesley's words about the disaster and zombies mixed in.

It's never exactly said just what brought the virus on board or how the original victim came down with it. A few things are hinted at but for the most part it's rather murky.

The story itself does have potential but I feel it falls short. The story might have been stronger if told from an original fictional character. That way the author wouldn't have been confined by what Mr. Beesley had written.

Deck Z

Spoiler

Deck Z was surprisingly engaging and a good read. There is good character development though you have to pay attention to the characters and story line.

It does follow the lines of good vs. evil with fictional Dr. Weiss. He's a well defined and rounded character. He has a few flash backs so you learn about his past and why he's fleeing from Germany.

Captain Smith is depicted as a sword weilding bad ass, which did make me chuckle. Captain E.J. Smith: sailor, captain, English bad ass.

There is tomboy character. While she is stereotypical she does have some good lines here and there and actually wants to be something more than a wife and mother. I think this is also where the fundies had a screaming fit.

There are some good twists and turns in the story.

The prologue provides an argument over is recovering artifacts research or grave robbing? If it is grave robbing where do you draw the line?

The story has its flaws here and there and I figured out the epilogue half way through the book.

Overall, though, it was a fairly solid story that I enjoyed reading.

I'm glad I got the chance to read the books. Maybe I should go do those illustrations about the zombies...

Both of these books sound fun. I recently got into reading mash up novels after Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. I'll add these titles to my to read list.

I want to read Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter sometime.

I haven't read it yet but there's supposed to be a vampire Titanic time travel mash up book out there.

Please, someone tell Doug (is a tool) Philips!

Someone could always send him a copy! :twisted:

The link didn't want to work but on Amazon they have about four books listed:

Unsinkable Vampire: A Begotten Bloods Novella by Kristin King

Bloodbath On The Titanic by Stewart King

Bloodlust: Vampire on the Titanic by Patrick Prior, Noah Hill and Jason Carr

Destined by Allison Kraft

I haven't read any of them but I'll read the reviews. If they're any good I'll see about adding them to my list and checking them out at the library.

Archived