IGNORED

Cheap and Costly Grace

Sobeknofret

ITA

Me too. Thanks Sobknofret and everyone.

Minor derail -------Several things in this thread have made me want to hunt for John Shelby Spong's "Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism" and re-read it. It's been a while since I read it, but I know my local library has it. Does anyone here know it? I've only read the one book by Spong, but if anyone has advice about reading, or not reading, any of his other work then I'd like to hear.-------end derail.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several things in this thread have made me want to hunt for John Shelby Spong's "Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism" and re-read it. It's been a while since I read it, but I know my local library has it. Does anyone here know it? I've only read the one book by Spong, but if anyone has advice about reading, or not reading, any of his other work then I'd like to hear.-------end derail.

I've read his book on the Resurrection, but I don't remember it clearly, except at being impressed with some of his thoughts on the Crucifixion. I realized after you posted this that I have "Rescuing" on my nook so I think I will go eat my pumpkin pie and read it. The Lares in our house have a law: "When thy refrigerator hath a surfeit of cream, thee shall make it into whipped cream and thee shall eat it on thy pumpkin pie." :lol:

If guaranteed no punishment, I would want to walk away from God.

You know when you're up late (at midnight, maybe), and then suddenly you look at the clock and it's 4AM? You've been asleep, but you haven't been dreaming, and the only reason you know you've been sleeping is that the clock has skipped forward? That's what I want death to be like. I want that kind of nothingness.

I totally understand this. My dad died unexpectedly, but it took over two hours for him to die, concious and aware that he was dying. I still cry over both the fact that he's gone and for how it happened.

I totally understand this. My dad died unexpectedly, but it took over two hours for him to die, concious and aware that he was dying. I still cry over both the fact that he's gone and for how it happened.

Sobeknofret, I'm sorry for your loss. I hope your dad's now at peace.

Sobeknofret, I'm sorry for your loss. I hope your dad's now at peace.

Thank you. During those two hours, my mother was with him and he apparently got to have a really intense discussion with her. Since they had been having some issues previous to this, it made Mom really feel better that they were able to talk and express what they really felt for each other. I'm so grateful that she had that time with him. I miss him horribly, but it's the everyday things I miss: calling him on the phone, giggling about cheesy movies, him trying to teach my son to skateboard.

Archived