IGNORED

The Gospel Message with JukeboxLucky

formergothardite

It is a thing, we've talked about it before in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4845

My eyes, they are opened... in horror :shock:

Such "gross-out" games have become a fad in youth ministry. Since adolescents are amused by bodily functions, crude behavior, and tastelessness-following the church-growth principle of giving people what they like as a way to entice them into the kingdom-many evangelical youth leaders think this is a way to reach young people.

That's just...wat?

I honestly had no idea of this until this thread, the world is a wide wide place I guess! Because yeah if anything it reminds me of frat hazing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that the church leaders are trying to make these events appeal to teenagers. My nieghbor's son did not like these kind of activities at their former church. He felt that there were clicks in these kind of events just like there were in school.

When I was young, it always felt patronizing to me when adults tried to 'relate' to me. I'd much rather older people just treat me like they would treat any other human. Maybe I was a weird kid but I never needed older people to like my music or dress young in order for me to like them. I certainly didn't need to eat anything gross or have an adult encourage me to do so.

I'll admit I might have been drawn in by a sports league or some game activities like say BINGO but I must say I've never been tempted to down other people's tissues or toothpaste water!!!!

But yeah I guess they're going for the "see, we're ~edgy~" angle. I'm with you, I think that would have put me off where even regular games would not (because people of all ages enjoy games and sports, they're not trying to do the "look at us we're cool!!!' thing).

Still... toothpaste water??? *horK* :puke-front:

JukeboxLucky...

I am a former youth leader in a charismatic church. Emphasis on the word "former." Still a Christian, but very jumpy about entering any form of youth/student ministry ever again. It didn't start out bad, but as the group grew, immature behavior was encouraged by the adults who knew better. I was usually the only leader who didn't want to participate. This got me labeled "uptight." I stuck with it, though, because I loved the kids and wanted there to be ONE sane leader around. But I got to a point where I couldn't do it anymore.

You are the ADULT. Act like one.

Yes, pretty much all of the "youth pastors" (or whatever other title they gave themselves) I've ever known have been immature assholes. I'm not surprised that they labeled you that way, which sucks.

OK, I have actually spent part of this evening dry heaving thanks to this thread. This is so nasty. Not because I never did anything when I was young that makes me cringe today, but because this nastiness is taking place in a youth group under the supervision of the leader, hell, under the direction of the "leader". :shock: There is no point trying to get a rethink on tracts to children, there is too much religious pathology here.

Don't these kind of groups encourage peer pressure? Isn't there pressure on kids who don't want to engage in these types of activities to go with the group. That was one of the reasons that my neighbor's son didn't take part in any of the youth groups.

It does encourage peer pressure. Which, of course, is glossed over, because it's "in the church." But it's completely peer pressure, no doubt!

This might sound a bit fundie-ish, but if any of you have kids/younger siblings in a youth group somewhere, check up on it frequently. I'm completely serious. Just "drop in" one night after service has started, stand in the back, and observe. If they're going on a trip, offer to chaperone. And if you don't like what you see, make some noise about it.

You know, you think you've heard it all and then you come across something like this.

JukeboxLucky, I don't know if you're still reading here but I have something to tell you - there is something wrong with you. Youth group activities shouldn't make people nauseated. You have now conditioned teenagers to associate disgusting things with church. Way to go!

JukeboxLucky, I don't know if you're still reading here but I have something to tell you - there is something wrong with you.

QFT! Besides being disgusting, what you are doing is emotionally manipulative of vulnerable young people. Cut it out!

Yes, pretty much all of the "youth pastors" (or whatever other title they gave themselves) I've ever known have been immature assholes. I'm not surprised that they labeled you that way, which sucks.

Yeah, after a time, I wasn't surprised that I got slapped with "don't be so uptight!" but what finally triggered it surprised me. Ready? It was pointing out that the YP shouldn't be texting and driving. With KIDS in the car. Went something like this:

Me: How about you dictate what you want to say and I'll send the text for you?

YP: No, I'm fine.

Me: Seriously, please let me do it. We've got kids in here and the texting and driving is making me nervous.

YP: I'M FINE!

I was, of course, doing this: :pray: the entire time he's driving!

What. The. Actual. Fuck. I attended a youth group thing with a friend once, but there was nothing like this going on. I can't believe this is a thing. I totally agree with whoever said it sounds like frat hazing. We would get our asses handed to us if our sorority ever tried anything like that. And it's young teens doing it, how are they going to not feel pressured?! Goodness, this is terrible.

Guest Anonymous
What. The. Actual. Fuck. I attended a youth group thing with a friend once, but there was nothing like this going on. I can't believe this is a thing. I totally agree with whoever said it sounds like frat hazing. We would get our asses handed to us if our sorority ever tried anything like that. And it's young teens doing it, how are they going to not feel pressured?! Goodness, this is terrible.
And to top the night off, they all wrote letters to put in shoeboxes to share the love of Jesus with the OCC recipients. :shock:

Archived