IGNORED

Dallas Firm Advertises Job "$10/hr -Women, $11/hr - Men"

Alecto

They have edited it, but this was the initial post on Craigslist.

"ADVOCARE; Clean Background is a Necessary Platinum Total Staffing is a staffing agency looking to fill many different positions, right now our priority of placement is for a health supplement distribution center. Candidates should be able to complete physically demanding tasks on a daily basis such as lifting and moving product. RF scanner experience is a plus and must have reach truck experience. We are also in need of fork lift drives and loaders and customer service representatives. Attendance of shifts is mandatory along with being in proper dress code (no tattoos or piercings showing ect.). All Candidates must be able to pass a background and drug test. I am in need of; Both Men and Women

Also in need of ; 1. General Labor 2. Warehouse 3. Forklift \ Experience 4. Assembly Line

Apply at one of our offices: 11325 Pegasus Dallas TX 75238 - Garland Office 214 -- 341-2200 1200 Southpoint Desoto TX 75115 - Desoto Office 972 -- 905 - 3916 Location: Plano Compensation: Men $11.00 Women $10.00 Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster. Please, no phone calls about this job! Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests. PostingID:3406816306

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/lab/3406816306.html

So, we don't have a wage gap for women, right?

WTF????

And they haven't fully corrected themselves. It still says:

Assembly Line - Women Only

Excuse me? Only women are allowed to work on the assembly line? What are they assembling?

This can't be real.

Well, a man probably has a wife and kids at home.[/sarcasm]

A long time ago, I was watching "The 700 Club"(don't ask), and Pat Robertson said, and I quote, "Nowadays, you have to pay a woman the same as a man even if she's single and he's got a wife and kids." Apparently, equal pay forces a man to dump said wife and kids because he can't afford them, or the wife has to work and the kids go to a--horror of horrors--day care center. He did say that a woman should be paid more if she has kids(and apparently no husband)and the man is single, and his female cohost at the time said, "I think it should be based on the job you do."

Wow, can't believe they put it out there like that.

Re: Pat Robertson, how about we pay someone based on competency for the job? Novel idea eh!

Wow. I can't believe that they posted that. Most companies would at least try to keep it a secret that they pay men more.

Is that actually legal? Here in Canada, the ad would be illegal. Not that we have employment equity, but it has to look like it.

I snagged this from employment practices website:

Can an employer discriminate against employees or candidates based on sex, gender, religion or age?

There are certain circumstances - limited circumstances - under which an employer can treat two individuals, or distinguish between individual employees, based on their age, their sex, and their gender. An example of where that is sometimes permissible, is in the entertainment industry, or if there is a bona fide job qualification that would require a person to be of a certain gender, or a certain age.

So if you are hiring a stripper for an all-girl revue, you are legally allowed to rule out men, but otherwise you cannot discriminate against candidates based on gender.

If jobs are different, people can be paid on different scales. As this recruiter is now specifying he will only hire women for assembly jobs, it sounds like the forklift/warehouse jobs pay a dollar more. He appears to be signaling that will he not hire women to work forklifts or work in the warehouse - regardless of their ability - and also that he will only hire women for assembly work. So all men will always make at least a dollar more an hour than all women at this company.

So yes, I'd say it's very illegal.

WTF????

And they haven't fully corrected themselves. It still says:

Assembly Line - Women Only

Excuse me? Only women are allowed to work on the assembly line? What are they assembling?

This can't be real.

I guess that means the wimmenz can't operate the fork lifts, or lift and move products. Can they operate the RF scanners?! Is that too much? Or is it only for the manly men *roars, pounds chest*

He's in trouble. You can't decree that women can't drive forklifts ( I can) or do warehouse work. What they can do is specify that you must be able to obtain a forklift driving license or lift x pounds.

Is that actually legal? Here in Canada, the ad would be illegal. Not that we have employment equity, but it has to look like it.

It's not even remotely legal. Even if only hiring one gender could be upheld as a legitimate business practice (it can be in very narrow circumstances), you flat out cannot pay one gender less than the other simply on the basis of gender. It's sort of employment discrimination 101.

Archived