IGNORED

Schedule your imaginary mammogram at Planned Parenthood

Maul the Koala

https://www.facebook.com/events/356122737810105/

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2012: Schedule your imaginary mammogram at Planned Parenthood! We all know Planned Parenthood DOES NOT PERFORM MAMMOGRAMS. However, President Obama, Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards, celebrities in Hollywood and countless Planned Parenthood supporters claim over and over that they do. They absolutely refuse to admit that the largest abortion organization in the country does NOT PERFORM MAMMOGRAMS. We'll prove it.

Call 1-800-230-PLAN to get your local Planned Parenthood center.

Most likely, your conversation will go a little something like this:

PP: "Thank you for calling Planned Parenthood, how can I help you?"

Caller: "I'd like to come in to your clinic for a mammogram."

PP: "We do perform clinical breast exams, and we refer out for mammograms, but we don't perform them in the clinic."

Caller: "What? But Barack Obama said you guys provide mammograms!"

PP: "We don't. We refer out for them."

TRUTH BOMB: Planned Parenthood is a level-one breast service provider. This means they are not only unequipped to perform mammography... it is ILLEGAL for them to do so. The extent of their breast health services are manual breast exams. They refer out for mammograms, but they DO NOT PROVIDE THEM.

Here's a video you can watch. http://liveaction.org/blog/planned-pare ... ram-claim/

Note: we are not doing this to simply bother Planned Parenthood. We are doing this to call them out on their lies! It's time for the truth to come out...from their own mouths. Share with everyone you know! We would love to get thousands of calls into Planned Parenthood centers tomorrow!

The ignorance is stunning. There's one woman saying ectopic pregnancies are an excuse to abort!

The people supporting this stupid 'call in' BS, and throwing around science fiction as science fact, is beyond scary!

Guest Anonymous

If this is the worst/best Romney-supporters can come up with...

Obama's got the election in the bag. I can't believe America is more than 50% idiots.

The people supporting this stupid 'call in' BS, and throwing around science fiction as science fact, is beyond scary!

I wouldn't even call it science fiction. Science fiction is fiction which is based on science. This is just fiction based on bullshit.

I just can't understand the fundies stance on ectopic pregnancies are they really so paranoid that they think doctors are lying about an ectopic pregnancy not being viable? I have a friend who desperately wants a baby her doctors told her that her last pregnancy was an ectopic one, because she wanted that baby so bad she believed some fundies who told her not to go in to have the surgery she needed my friend nearly bleed to death a few days later. What really pissed me off the stupid fundie bitch that convinced her that having the ectopic pregnancy safely removed was also telling her not to go to the hospital when she started hemorrhaging because the doctors would kill her baby. They had my friend so guilt ridden she actually fought with her husband mother and I about going to the hospital and saving her own life.

I just can't understand the fundies stance on ectopic pregnancies are they really so paranoid that they think doctors are lying about an ectopic pregnancy not being viable? I have a friend who desperately wants a baby her doctors told her that her last pregnancy was an ectopic one, because she wanted that baby so bad she believed some fundies who told her not to go in to have the surgery she needed my friend nearly bleed to death a few days later. What really pissed me off the stupid fundie bitch that convinced her that having the ectopic pregnancy safely removed was also telling her not to go to the hospital when she started hemorrhaging because the doctors would kill her baby. They had my friend so guilt ridden she actually fought with her husband mother and I about going to the hospital and saving her own life.

That's incredibly sad. And frightening.

That's incredibly sad. And frightening.

Whoa. Good that you and your friend's mother-in-law were able to get her to the hospital...however, women are going to DIE from this bullshit.

Being pregnant is not this magical time where all your health problems are taken away. That's fucking nonsense, but what you'd hear from these jackholes.

I am glad your friend is ok. I wish this idiot fundies would realize that if left alone an ectopic pregnancy is fatal. At some point that fallopian tube is going to rupture and the pregnant woman is going to bleed to death. There is no other option but to remove it. The fetus (if it even makes it far enough along to reach that stage, which is doubtful) cannot survive without the mother. There is no scenario in which it could possibly survive. So, in their view, they are going to lose two lives instead of one. Way to be pro-life. :roll:

I hope this makes sense, as I am in allergy and sinus hell right now.

Jeez, what do they think most planned parenthoods DO, perform abortions all day? The one near my old school doesn't even perform abortions.... so what do fundies think they DO at the clinic?

Heh, as I read this the ad below me says, "help a woman in need. Donate a mammogram NOW." How perfect.

On a side note, "mammography....." it sounds like it's an actual word but it doesn't sound like it fits the context? like, wouldn't mammography be "The study of" rather than the actual mammograms? Am I wrong/being nitpicky?

And by calling and pretending to want a mammogram, what, exactly, do they hope to accomplish?

My guess is that (in addition to feeling righteous for 'calling them out on their lies' or whatever), they tie up the phone lines with this nonsense.

I volunteered at an abortion clinic many years ago and they regularly got phone calls for appointments which were actually made by 'pro-lifers'. Thus the appointment slots were booked and couldn't be used by women who actually needed them. I'm not sure how the clinic dealt with that - i.e. whether they phoned back to confirm, or double-booked, or what. I'd be interested if anyone has more information on such tactics and the workarounds.

Note to self: bring credit card tomorrow, donate to Planned Parenthood.

My guess is that (in addition to feeling righteous for 'calling them out on their lies' or whatever), they tie up the phone lines with this nonsense.

I volunteered at an abortion clinic many years ago and they regularly got phone calls for appointments which were actually made by 'pro-lifers'. Thus the appointment slots were booked and couldn't be used by women who actually needed them. I'm not sure how the clinic dealt with that - i.e. whether they phoned back to confirm, or double-booked, or what. I'd be interested if anyone has more information on such tactics and the workarounds.

Note to self: bring credit card tomorrow, donate to Planned Parenthood.

YES! everytime the GOP or fundies do something REALLY REALLY DUMB I donate to either PP, Obama, or the national network of abortion funds or some lgbt organization. Example: One of my "friends" on facebook posted some serious slut shaming. She doesn't think ANYONE should get the morning after pill. including in cases of rape and incest. and she claims that she since was molested, everyone else can survive it too and should carry rapists babies to term and whatnot.

So I donated to Obama. It's nice that she was able to deal with her assault, but not everyone is like that. everyone reacts in different ways.

What is the truth of the situation? Does Planned Parenthood provide on-site mammograms? Do some locations provide them, but not all? Do they give you a voucher to use at a mammogram facility?

I'm trying to figure out the level of bullshit being spewed by the TRUTH BOMB.

What is the truth of the situation? Does Planned Parenthood provide on-site mammograms? Do some locations provide them, but not all? Do they give you a voucher to use at a mammogram facility?

All the PPs within 50 miles of me (4 or 5) provide referrals for mammograms. They do breast exams on-site but I think that the machinary for the mammograms themselves are too expensive. Likely, if you needed financial assistance, they would try to hook you up with a state or local program that provides low-income women with mammograms (we have a few in my state/city, not sure if other states do as well)

I dont even think PP does abortions on site... Dont they refer out to a clinic as well? I've never had to go to them for this kind of advice, but I assumed that they just would tell you your options and then if you decided to go with an abortion, they'd refer you somewhere where they would perform it?

I went to PP for birth control when I was younger and did not have health care (or enough money to pay full price for the bills). I also saw them once for a pregnancy test when I thought I might be pregnant. Fortunately, I wasnt. They patted me on the head and told me to use protection after that incident.

Anyway, in all cases, they were professional. I never assumed they actually performed abortions in their facility.

Mammograms require specialized equipment. I'm not surprised most PP facilities refer them out to a radiologists. I was refereed by my doctors. I just had my third mammogram in 4 months (an MRI and sonograms too) and had to go to a facility that specialized in radiology for them.

How stupid and selfish can these people be?

None of the PPs in the county where I live do abortions on site. They do provide medical abortion pills or the prescriptions for them. They have a list of doctors for referrals for surgical abortions.

By that logic PP doesn't do abortion either as I was referred out for it. They did an exam to make sure I was pregnant and then sent me elsewhere.

They are being willfully ignorant. Planned Parenthood serves as a point of entry for mammograms, just as most OBGYNs and PCPs would. A primary care provider orders a mammogram from a hospital or outpatient radiology center, the mammogram (radiology) techs perform the imaging, a radiologist reads the films and sends the report back to the ordering provider who can then order additional tests, procedures, and referrals as needed.

For un/under-insured women, the cost of a Planned Parenthood appointment is more affordable than an office visit with their OB or PCP. It's certainly more affordable than a visit to a specialty breast center with ordering physicians, radiologists, and all necessary techs on staff and diagnostic equipment on sight.

I would imagine that offering full mammography services would be cost prohibitive for Planned Parenthood. The local client base wouldn't be large enough to warrant the equipment costs for screening mammograms, and mammography is not diagnostically preferred when it comes to young women with masses - the breast tissue is often too dense to differentiate normal from abnormal.

You would think that these TRUTH BOMBERS had never been to a doctor appointment before. Are we to believe that they regularly walk directly into radiology departments with broken arms and demand xrays before seeing a practitioner?

Mammograms require specialized equipment. I'm not surprised most PP facilities refer them out to a radiologists. I was refereed by my doctors. I just had my third mammogram in 4 months (an MRI and sonograms too) and had to go to a facility that specialized in radiology for them.

How stupid and selfish can these people be?

In addition to the specialized equipment, they would require a dedicated mammogram technologist who would have to perform at least 200 mammograms a year to maintain certification. Plus the FDA inspects the equipment every year, and there are significant record keeping requirements. If PP actually did the mammograms in house, they would have to keep track of the biopsy results for every woman who had a biopsy. When you're running a non-profit with a shoestring budget, it's better to use those resources to help women take advantage of existing services in the community, rather than replicate what is already there.

There are some non-radiology facilities with mammogram equipment, usually OB-GYN offices in communities without a full service radiology clinic. These places can only do screening mammograms. If there are any findings, the woman has to go to a full service radiology facility for any diagnostic images. They also usually won't do mammograms for any with a history of breast cancer, history of biopsy, or current breast symptoms. It's really a convenience issue, and PP is not in the business of convenience. Their mission is to help as many women as possible for as little money as possible. That means providing vouchers and referrals.

Jeez, what do they think most planned parenthoods DO, perform abortions all day? The one near my old school doesn't even perform abortions.... so what do fundies think they DO at the clinic?

Heh, as I read this the ad below me says, "help a woman in need. Donate a mammogram NOW." How perfect.

On a side note, "mammography....." it sounds like it's an actual word but it doesn't sound like it fits the context? like, wouldn't mammography be "The study of" rather than the actual mammograms? Am I wrong/being nitpicky?

Bingo! Where do you think John Kyl got his "not intended to be a factual statement" that over 90% of PP's business is abortions. "Lie Action" would have you believe that there's big money in abortions, and a whole cadre of doctors will trick women into getting pregnant just so they can be pressured to abort and cha-ching, new car for Dr. Killer. The free condoms they give away are substandard so they will fail and cause an unwanted pregnancy. :?

If Lie Action convinces people PP does nothing but abortions with a cover story about mammograms, it's easy enough to prove mammograms aren't provided on site and suddenly you've uncovered the great and ebil Sanger/eugenics/PP conspiracy.

Since Lie Action is all about saving theoretical babies and not helping ones that already exist, they've got a lot of time on their hands.

ETA: Michelle Malkin and her ilk would have you think that mammograms are the only cancer screening that exists, and since Obama was mistaken about that, he must be lying about EVERYTHING. Nevermind that he mentioned cervical cancer too, PP does screen for that and so that must be excluded from all talking points and associated outrages.

shesinsane, do you know for sure that Michelle Malkin was an anchor baby or was that just used as a slur? Either way, bringing up her parents' immigration status has nothing to do with cutting down her argument. It's stupid and racist when the right wing does it, and it's still stupid and racist when liberals do it.

For the record I think Michelle Malkin is appalling.

Archived