IGNORED

Fundies in the city

Kitty

I've lived in the same rural part of Virginia all my life and until very recently the fundies were few and far between. We had the Fundie Baptists and Pentecostals when I was a kid, and I really only knew about them because my grandparents really wanted my parents to send me to a private Christian school when I was starting kindergarten, so we went to visit the school. My grandmother lost all interest in my atteneding when they told her that if they enrolled me it meant no more pants for her as well as me and my mother. My grandmother wasn't what you'd call a militant feminist, but she did tell them where they could go stick their rules, and then insisted I go to public school. In my teens I worked with a couple fundies who were kind of weird in that women could work outside the home, but had to have long skirts and hair and no make-up or jewelry. When I moved a county over from where I grew up in my mid twenties the town I moved to had a good sized Amish/Mennonite community. They are actually some of the nicest and friendliest folks in town. They run a couple produce markets and thrift shops that my family frequents often enough to be seen as regulars, so they have become more friendly over the years.

It was only within the last two years that I started noticing the Gothardite, Quiverful type families. One struck up a conversation with us about a year ago while we were having dinner at the local Shoney's. I had four kids at that time that were spaced out enough that it should have tipped them off to the fact that we're not Quiverful with the exception of my two oldest daughters who are only 16 months apart the rest of my kids are four to five years apart. They might have gotten the wrong idea because we were all dressed up having just left a wedding, and at the time I was pregnant with our fifth child. Anyways it was kind of funny how quickly they wanted to get away from us once they realized we weren't Quiverful and had no intentions of becoming Quiverful. After that it was like they started coming out of the woodwork I see one family in particular almost everytime I go to Walmart now. They now go out of their way not to be anywhere near us since they have seen me disrespect my husband, and yell at my kids who were running circles around me while begging for everything in sight and having a meltdown when I said no. My kids aren't always well-behaved, my hubby and I disagree to the point where I have been known to call him a stupid, stubborn jackass. I wear shorts and tank tops and don't give a damn who I might be defrauding. I think I'm the mom of that family's worst nightmare since she actually scoops her littliest ones up and all but runs to another part of the store when she sees me and my little heathens coming. :twisted:

I live in Long Beach, CA - one of the most diverse places you could imagine. Huge gay population, the largest number of Cambodians outside of Cambodia, Muslims, orthodox Jews, every race, etc.

I go to college and in my classes I have met several Hispanic women that I would consider fundie because they belong to a local Baptist church and they only wear skirts and they are very religious. However, they are going to school so its obviously not as strict as in rural areas. Its hard to be a SAHD here, even a SAHM. Its expensive! But like I said, theyre here, and so are the covered Muslim women and the orthodox Jewish women. It must be easier to live on one income in a rural area where things are cheaper. I know a few online from mothering message boards and they live in Oklahoma and Texas and places like that.

Archived