IGNORED

Horrific Adoption Abuse

Alcyone

We've seen several of these stories but I still cannot, just cannot, understand how or why this happens. In this case, the father was a deputy attorney general, as well as a so-called devoted Christian, who apparently preached sermons at his Independent Bible Church on topics of humility and gratitude. How does someone like that, with every resource available to him, adopt little children and then turn around and treat them so viciously that it defies imagination? Oh and the mother is fully to blame also. The adoptions were apparently her idea since the Lord had given her a vision of adoption since she was a teen, or some such malarkey.

Unfortunately, their blog was taken down shortly before the alleged abuse came to light but the following link gives the info. The comments give more info and I googled, as the last comment suggested and got the name of their church (Christ Bible Church, an Independent Bible Church). I just hope these poor children can heal physically and emotionally and that this will be the last story we hear about adopting children only to hurt them.

reformtalk.net/2012/10/06/how-could-you-hall-of-shame-prosecutor-douglas-barbour-and-kristen-barbour

My city and dh's country. Very close to home for us. I have no doubt that contributed to dh's terrible day yesterday, but he didn't want to talk about it.

I'm so sad for those poor babies and so angry for them. :(

We've seen several of these stories but I still cannot, just cannot, understand how or why this happens. In this case, the father was a deputy attorney general, as well as a so-called devoted Christian, who apparently preached sermons at his Independent Bible Church on topics of humility and gratitude. How does someone like that, with every resource available to him, adopt little children and then turn around and treat them so viciously that it defies imagination? Oh and the mother is fully to blame also. The adoptions were apparently her idea since the Lord had given her a vision of adoption since she was a teen, or some such malarkey.

Unfortunately, their blog was taken down shortly before the alleged abuse came to light but the following link gives the info. The comments give more info and I googled, as the last comment suggested and got the name of their church (Christ Bible Church, an Independent Bible Church). I just hope these poor children can heal physically and emotionally and that this will be the last story we hear about adopting children only to hurt them.

reformtalk.net/2012/10/06/how-could-you-hall-of-shame-prosecutor-douglas-barbour-and-kristen-barbour

Probably one of those people who thinks he knows what's right, and everyone else can go fuck themselves. He's an assistant DA, he prosecutes abuse and knows it when he sees it, he was just discplining his children in a manner consistent with his biblical principles. :roll:

Not saying I agree, just explaining how the same education that should make him know better allows him to make excuses for himself and see what he's doing as the right thing.

I have tears in my eyes after reading that story. Those poor, dear children! I hope those kids get into a loving permanent home. As for the "parents", they can lock them up and throw away the key.

I saw this on the news the other day. Makes me SOO angry. Given how much all of my boys gained at homecoming, I cannot imagine how badly those kids were starved after already coming from a food deprevation environment in the first place!

I take these stories VERY personally now that I am parenting a child wh endured this living nightmare. There is just NO excuse, none whatsoever!

I dislike the reform talk website for how mean they are to people who want to adopt, but I hope the assholes who hurt those kids are jailed for life. So so so so so wrong.

Do they still have a right to see their natural children? I don't know my first impression would be that they should be kept away from them too. They don't "get" to pick and choose which of their children they want or treat decently. Am I wrong?

Do they still have a right to see their natural children? I don't know my first impression would be that they should be kept away from them too. They don't "get" to pick and choose which of their children they want or treat decently. Am I wrong?

agreed! I think their bio children are probably taken too, because like you said, abuse is abuse and they can't legally leave kids in that kind of position.

I certainly hope the bio kids were apprehended as well. One of the commenters said

You’re correct that this was their blog, etsy shop, etc. as a fellow adoptive parent, I followed their blog.Many would be surprised to know that they also have 2 biological children, who were mentioned in their blog, but maybe were not abused because I didn’t see them mentioned in the articles about their disturbing crimes.

No way those two bio kids were not abused. Witnessing abuse like that described IS abuse. I know a number of people who grew up in abusive situations, and those who were not abused have PTSD combined with survivor guilt, and even worse if they were forced to somehow play a role in the abuse. I have known a few who suicided in adulthood as a result of that sort of scene.

My city and dh's country. Very close to home for us. I have no doubt that contributed to dh's terrible day yesterday, but he didn't want to talk about it.

I'm so sad for those poor babies and so angry for them. :(

Maybeizfundie, I live in Pittsburgh (are you still here? ) I cannot believe this happened. I just wonder about the kids whose abuse never comes to light. So many of these kids probably feel grateful for a home and may not speak out if it means going back to the orphanage or their home country.

Maybeizfundie, I live in Pittsburgh (are you still here? ) I cannot believe this happened. I just wonder about the kids whose abuse never comes to light. So many of these kids probably feel grateful for a home and may not speak out if it means going back to the orphanage or their home country.

or more accurately, they don't know that they can speak out at all.

People like that get to adopt. Meanwhile a diabetic friend of mine was turned down because she's diabetic.

Friends of mine have been trying to adopt. But my friend's husband is a foreigner which is a "problem" for some reason. Meanwhile they are two of the most generous, kind, loving, and gentle people I know. THey are devout Catholics and spend their free time doing volunteer work with Nuns. You'd think there would be no better candidates but they've basically given up at this point.

If you google "doug and Kristen Ethiopia" a lot of pics come up on 2 different blogs. One is set to private and one is deleted, but I guess the pics cached...

They don't even look fundy or anything... I don't understand how it could go so bad so fast :(

Such abhorrent treatment of those children can't just have happened in a short time, it had to have been pre-meditated, Has anyone heard anything about the other two children featured in the photos?

Five skull fractures in various stages of healing?? I don't even understand how you can do that repeatedly to a child. They caused a stroke and made her blind and no one around them noticed that the baby was acting differently? So sad.

Archived