IGNORED

Pearls On Silly Boys

debrand

The kids of the 1950s were raised on Looney Tunes, the Three Stooges, and local kid shows featuring clowns and people throwing pies in each other's faces. There was plenty of silliness then.

If I had a son, I'd want him to have a sense of humor. If he he didn't, I would feel as if I had failed him somehow. Granted, I wouldn't want him to act silly at inappropriate times. Since ADD and ADHD type behavior runs in the family, I would be concerned about the kid acting silly when he should be paying attention to where he is going and what he is doing (for example, when he's crossing the street). I wouldn't exactly be proud if someone told me my son should audition for the cast of "Jackass" or if I had one of those sons who acts like a fratboy when he's in his thirties. But who wants a humorless child? I'm sure even Jesus Himself appreciated a good joke every now and then. (Not a dirty joke, though.)

The guy's very first miracle wasn't healing the sick or feeding the hungry, it was keeping the party going! Of course he enjoyed a joke!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I homeschool for a family with a 10 year old boy. Today he was extremely silly and the mom and I got into a conversation about when its ok for kids to act silly and when it needs to be nipped in the bud. I brought up the idea of it being inappropriate for a boy to be silly her reply was "Only terrorized children don't have a silly side."

(Today I taught her son, in addition to academic subjects, how to launch objects with a rubber band - sling shot style. Obviously I don't mind a little silliness.)

It bothers me that the Pearls say this about silly boys. I went to Elementary school-High school with a whole lot of them. Now 14 years out of HS they are some of the most well mannered people I know. It really bothers me that people in the fundie circles think that what the Pearls, Maxwells, and Duggars, say and do is the gospel

Any links to their art? I can't imagine either of the Pearls producing anything with grace, charm, joy, or interest. I'm a bit intrigued.

Supposedly, Michael has illustrated some of their books.

I found this:

http://michaeldebipearl.blogspot.com/20 ... comes.html

GZGfr.jpg

Dr. King's family would be so moved, I'm sure. :roll:

I just looked at the subject line again, and I don't have to wonder what the Pearls would think about pearls on silly boys. Boys shouldn't wear pearls. :)

I've got a six-year-old boy who's silly, and I'm fine with that. He spent half an hour last night talking in barks with his stuffed wolf. He's a happy, silly-at-times kid, and I wouldn't want him any other way. Although the silly fun he had with his first loose tooth gave me a full-body cringe, and I could have done without the all-day fun.

Misery loves company. The Pearls seem very miserable.

He probably wasn't allowed to be silly, so now he wants all kids to be deprived.

Without humor, the world would be a dull and boring place.

My mother taught me that silliness is a survival skill. Maybe if these people enjoyed some of the crazy antics of their children, they'd chill out and wouldn't be so tempted to beat them with plumbing line. I don't know how often one of my kids have done something that's just not cool, but at the same time, it's so hysterical that I have to go into another room to "cool off and think about what to do here", as I put it, so they don't see me doubled over in silent laughter. I'd love to secretly replace every Pearl parenting "manual" with a copy of some of Erma Bombeck's books. I swear, that woman is the patron saint of mothers.

There are times when I wish I could read little children's mind. They do silly stuff all the time and I would love to know their thought process. I think that parents would be happier if they just accepted that children dont always act in a manner that the adults see as logical. It can be a lot of fun if you understand that kids are kids. Hell, I would go so far to say that children are proof that god has a sense of humor.

The Perals can rot in hell along with anyone who thinks that child training is a good idea. We teach our children on a daily basis. But, that is different then training them to be robots.

Archived