IGNORED

Purity: Promise or Myth?

Witsec7

Anderson Cooper discusses the purity ballers, complete with Randy Wilson, Jessica Valenti and Sarah McLeod (the young woman with the viral anti slut shaming video).

I just watched the whole edition on You Tube including a segment filmed as a continuing conversation on the subject. Has anyone seen this? Sarah shines in the continuing conversation after the segments when a middle school teacher misrepresents her video.

I find Randy to be odious at best but with all the money he's making with purity balling, he really should invest in a new toupee.

I'm posting the link for the first clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2HRAPU9 ... re=related

I love the strong husband line. Also you know if one of those daughters came out gay they would be sent packing. Hand holding caused thoughts of sex? how fucked up is that? of course they did not go into how dad chooses the hubby to take possession of his daughters virginity.

I was pleasantly surprised at the thoughtfulness of the audience commenters. (As thoughtful and nuanced as anyone could be in 10 seconds at least.) I wished Jessica Valenti was given more opportunity to speak; the balance of time seemed to be more with the Purity Ballers, especially the mom. The abstinence teacher worried me because she talked a good game about being secular and nonjudgmental and medically based. I didn't believe a word of it because I believe the abstinence movement is to the purity movement as intelligent design is to creationism.

Also, I snickered when they were discussing the "boys' balls."

The audience definately had a lot good comments and questions.

I did notice a lot of "so and so isn't pure because of blah, blah, blah" and then when confronted they try to back pedal and try to re-define it.

What colors me creeped out is these people's obsession with virginity and girls pledging their virginity to their fathers as if they're an object meant to be given away.

I love the strong husband line. Also you know if one of those daughters came out gay they would be sent packing. Hand holding caused thoughts of sex? how fucked up is that? of course they did not go into how dad chooses the hubby to take possession of his daughters virginity.

When you are a teenage boy, just existing causes thoughts of sex. They're crazy.

I really can't wait for the day when society at large quits judging women on the basis of what goes on with their reproductive organs/genitalia. FFS.

Archived