IGNORED

What movies CAN the Duggars watch?

merrily

For the record, I have no dog in this fight. I have just never heard that movie be referred to as anti-Semitic. Gibson himself, yes, but not the movie.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prince of Egypt might be OK, but the female characters wear some Nike!-inducing outfits, the movie makes it pretty visually clear that Moses' marriage to Tzipporah is interracial (I'm sure the Duggars are not down with that), there's dancing, and the deaths of the polytheistic Egyptians are shown to be horrific and sad, not a joyous event.

But as for the movies I loved as a kid (besides Prince of Egypt)...

Beauty and the Beast: magic, independent/educated woman making her own choices about whom she loves, premarital kissing, dancing, kind of obvious sex jokes

The Little Mermaid: NIKE!

Pocahontas: NIKE!

Toy Story: magic

Mulan: magic, portrayal of non-Christian religion in a positive light, independent female character, said independent female character defying her parents and wearing pants, men dressing in drag

Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella (the one with Brandy): dancing, independent female character

The Hunchback of Notre Dame: NIKE!, dancing, premarital kissing, independent female character, portrayal of religion in a somewhat negative (or just nuanced) light, implication that a character has doubts about her faith ("I don't know if you can hear me, or if you're even there"), violence (though considering the watch Passion of the Christ, I doubt they'd take issue with this)

Monty Python Anything: just right out!

What about the Muppets Christmas Carol? The songs are all about having a thankful heart and asking God to bless us all... but maybe the magic of the ghosts is too much.

Emmit Otter's Jug band Christmas. Its a parallel to gift of the magi, although there are talking animals. I seem to recall the "on the farm" or something close to that where the Duggars did voices may have had talking animals. I'm not sure.

Archived