IGNORED

What movies CAN the Duggars watch?

merrily

I've just rewatched the Prince of Egypt (dreamworks) - would that movie be allowed in the Duggar household? I mean, it's like the most sanitized heathen cartoon out there. Or is only Bambi allowed? :roll:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guesses are that they can watch some of the older Disney movies and made come classic movies like westerns. They probably watch a lot of Christian based movies and maybe they owned copies of the Features Films For Families direct to video movies. FFFF is company based in Utah and that had Mormons working behind the scenes and running the business aspects. Their most popular movie is The Buttercream Gang. This movie and the other direct to video movies were very family friendly. FFFF made a lot of money back in the 90s because they would sell copies of their movies to various Protestant and Catholic churches. A few months before, I made my First Holy Communion, my parish had retreat for FHC candidates and they showed that movie and they were selling copies to the parents. Back then Catholic parishes and Protestant churches didn't really know that Mormons were heavily involved in the FFFF movies. There is a good chance that the Duggars knew about these movies through that church they used to attend. There are a quite bit of Christian type movies that are around, but they don't get the same attention that the Sherwood Pictures movies or October Baby gets. The Duggars have probably watched some of those.

I would assume that they could watch "Prince Of Egypt", it's about Moses. It's a Bible story, if they can't watch that, then there is nothing that they can watch.

They can probably also watch Joseph: King of Dreams, as just like the Prince of Egypt it's an animated Bible story, and it's also from DreamWorks. It has really great songs, I wonder how they feel about that. A lot of the early Disney movies, minus the pre marital kissing and disobeying of parents, sends a lot of the messages they want to send to their daughters, so those are a maybe.

ETA I also think they would be allowed to watch Veggie tales, which was probably made into a movie at some point.

My husband was raised fundie-lite and he was allowed to watch very little. I remember my shock when he told me he wasn't allowed to watch The Wizard of Oz as a kid because it had witches in it. His movie selection was limited to Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (I guess there is nothing wrong with men kidnapping women to be their wives), The Sound Of Music, and a few old Disney movies (but not even all of those. Little Mermaid would have been out because of Ursula. Anything with magic/witchcraft/not rated G was an automatic no).

My husband was raised fundie-lite and he was allowed to watch very little. I remember my shock when he told me he wasn't allowed to watch The Wizard of Oz as a kid because it had witches in it. His movie selection was limited to Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (I guess there is nothing wrong with men kidnapping women to be their wives), The Sound Of Music, and a few old Disney movies (but not even all of those. Little Mermaid would have been out because of Ursula. Anything with magic/witchcraft/not rated G was an automatic no).

Don't all Disney movies have some element of magic? I'm trying to think of some that don't and am drawing a blank on any other than Bambi

I can't imagine they'd be able to watch Seven Brides or Sound of Music because of all that evil dancing! So sad, they're such quality movies! :cry:

For Disney movies, I think The Rescuers would be okay. Maybe Cinderella, but again the dancing and pre-marital kissing. . .

I would say Prince of Egypt would probably be okay (but there is dancing), and so would Joseph King of Dreams. I think the Bible story would offset the few scenes they would object to.

I'm sure Veggie Tales are okay. If those aren't, then I don't know what they're expecting to find to watch!

Don't all Disney movies have some element of magic? I'm trying to think of some that don't and am drawing a blank on any other than Bambi

My husband talked about watching The Rescuers and 101 Dalmations. But yeah, there aren't many.

Old Yeller. And I bet no one would cry.

I think Michelle mentioned The Sound of Music. Some older westerns- they seem to like the whole cowboys and Indians thing.

Of course, Courageous and Fireproof, starring their old buddy Kirk Cameron!

Dog movies. :P My fundie friend got into collies because of repeated viewings of Lassie as a kid. :P

(It sort of amuses me, TBH, that she's got the same video shelf as my LEAST fundie friend's kiddo - Where The Red Fern Grows, Old Yeller, The Incredible Journey, etc :P That kid just happens to be mad about dogs. :D)

I wonder if they force the kids to burst into song while watching The Sound of Music, singing their bastardized version of edelweiss to cover up the original. :roll: For that matter, I wonder if they're allowed to watch/listen to the whole thing, or if there are any parts that are forbidden :?

Lady and the Tramp?Olsen twins during the tween years? Bing Crosby the heartwarming years (not the "Road" series, though, of course). Stupid Amish-themed movies like "the Shunning" or "Saving Sarah Cain?" Teen movies of the week from the 1980s? Barney?

I would imagine Barney would be right out. Except for the original videos with Sandy Duncan as Mom, THERE ARE NO ADULTS! WHO'S TRAINING UP THESE CHILDREN?!?

Although the whole thing with dinosaurs interacting with humans would probably make the Duggars' creationist hearts go pitter patter.

ETA because when words go missing it reads like WTF?

I wonder if they force the kids to burst into song while watching The Sound of Music, singing their bastardized version of edelweiss to cover up the original. :roll: For that matter, I wonder if they're allowed to watch/listen to the whole thing, or if there are any parts that are forbidden :?

What did they do to Edelwiess?

I would say old shows like Little House and the Waltons. Maybe sme of the old Shirley Temple movies, some of the old Disney movies that weren't animated fairytales, or maybe some of the really old Mickey Mouse cartoons, or the old MGM cartoons. Old movies like The Ten Commandments are probably okay. My dad is pretty fundie-lite, but he and my step-mom will watch Hallmark movies. Animal movies like Lassie, Benjie, and Milo and Otis are probably okay. I wonder about the Narnia series it has witches and magical creatures, but it is also Christian allegory?

Could they watch National Velvet, Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (not the Johnny Depp one), The King and I, Mary Poppins.

Can't remember what episode it was but the Duggars went to some Christian movie awards banquet and Jim mentioned movies shown in the theaters aren't good for the general public. It made me so mad him deciding what is suitable for ME to watch. If I want to watch Sparkle that's my business.

Lady and the Tramp?Olsen twins during the tween years? Bing Crosby the heartwarming years (not the "Road" series, though, of course). Stupid Amish-themed movies like "the Shunning" or "Saving Sarah Cain?" Teen movies of the week from the 1980s? Barney?

I also think Amish-themed movies are on their list. I have to admit I kind of like Saving Sarah Cain. I saw The Shunning and I disliked it quite a bit. I know it is based on a book series, but some of the plot aspects really irked me. The Duggars might watch other Hallmark Channel movies. I think they would dislike some of the movies. I did like that Hallmark movie The Christmas Choir. It wasn't syrupy. Hallmark Hall of Fame movies that CBS and ABC have made tend to be better than the movies made by the Hallmark Channel. I don't see the Duggars liking some of the Hallmark Hall of Fame movies. There have been a few movies based on true story movies on teachers.

Could they watch National Velvet, Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (not the Johnny Depp one), The King and I, Mary Poppins.

National Velvet: Independent GIRL

Willie Wonka: Magical shit, mouthy, bratty kids (even though they get their comeuppance)

The King and I: Woman talking back, woman wanting to marry the man she LOVES and not the king (although they burn her at the stake for her awful crime--in the non-musical version anyway--so there's always that bit of fun)

Mary Poppins: Magical shit, votes for wimmins

So nope, nope, nope and nope.

Enough said.

Dreadful.

Even though this was several years ago, Josiah looks like he's in physical pain having to do this and Twin 2 so bored, he can't be arsed to stand up.

Dreadful.

Even though this was several years ago, Josiah looks like he's in physical pain having to do this and Twin 2 so bored, he can't be arsed to stand up.

I wonder what was wrong with the original lyrics. I love that song. (Original recipe, not the Duggar's "hungry girl" version where they striped it of all flavor and added some fake cheese)

I don't think I can bring myself to see what the Duggars did to Edelweiss. The awesome Theodore Bikel (the original Broadway Captain von Trapp--and yes, I saw that original production because I'M OLD!) came to my daughter's high school to give a very impassioned speech about the need for arts education (something the Duggars would probably hate) and he gave a special performance with the chorus. They closed with Edelweiss and it was so incredibly moving. I was a blubbering mess, something my daughter managed to see from the stage, even though I was waaaay back in the auditorium. ("Mom, were you CRYING?!? OMG, I'm so embarrassed...") I don't think I bear hearing it Duggar-ized.

Archived