IGNORED

Do fundies thrive off crisis?

Deleted08

My old group, the guy has been fired due to illness. They have a household of 9 and he's waiting for disability, even if that. They've hit an "aw shit" moment and are asking for prayers. It must be BAD for them to even consider disability.

I don't see it being too long before donations are sought...it's happened in the past.

I feel bad for people being broke, it sucks. My parents have helped me out countless times. I don't have 7 kids and can't fathom how shitty it must feel not being able to support them. Makes me appreciate the child allowance you get paid up here. Not much but it would help in this situation.

edited to add - I know they'll use this situation down the road to "glorify God" but most people give them money from a sense of pity.

I think there's an idea that suffering brings you closer to god. So if your life is shit, it must mean that you're pretty holy. It's a chance for you to strengthen your faith, depend on god to provide, blah blah blah. Which is funny, because I'm pretty sure god provided for people to make choices about their own lives.

It's funny when fundies do a 180 when they're in need, then it's not so evil. I feel bad for their situation but kids are damned expensive and all. I feel bad for them but it's a weird mix of emotions lol.

I was raised kind of fundie-medium, and whenever we went through troubles (getting laid off, or whatever) it was because we were obviously doing things so right that Satan was trying to tempt us, and God knew that we would be faithful so he allowed it, so that on the other side of it we could bring glory to God and bring others to Jesus through our testimonies.

Whew that was long winded!

I was raised kind of fundie-medium, and whenever we went through troubles (getting laid off, or whatever) it was because we were obviously doing things so right that Satan was trying to tempt us, and God knew that we would be faithful so he allowed it, so that on the other side of it we could bring glory to God and bring others to Jesus through our testimonies.

Whew that was long winded!

Me too!! And when things were going well, it was either because: 1. We were being holy, and thus God was blessing us, or 2. We were falling for Satan's trap of "worldly pleasures" and must redouble our efforts at self-flagellation. Whether it was 1 or 2 was based on whatever suited my parents' ulterior motives the best in that particular moment. Yay.

Me too!! And when things were going well, it was either because: 1. We were being holy, and thus God was blessing us, or 2. We were falling for Satan's trap of "worldly pleasures" and must redouble our efforts at self-flagellation. Whether it was 1 or 2 was based on whatever suited my parents' ulterior motives the best in that particular moment. Yay.

Yep, persecution is proof that you are awesome!

Kinda like your mom saying the other kids made fun of your shoes because the shoes are amazingly awesome and other kids are just jealous (Sometimes (rarely), they're jealous. Sometimes, they're mean because they're obnoxious bullies. Sometimes they're mean because you were mean first. and Sometimes they just don't like your shoes)

Sometimes, it's kinda like the "romeo and Juliet" thing that plays out when a young couple is forbidden by their parents to see each other--the 'persecution' makes asking questions that much more reprehensible because you're SO invested in it.

From the POV of fundy leaders, people are more likely to believe your teachings when they're a) terrified and b) too busy and disoriented to question things. That may be why so many fundy groups' doctrine lands their followers in poverty.

I think there's an idea that suffering brings you closer to god. So if your life is shit, it must mean that you're pretty holy. It's a chance for you to strengthen your faith, depend on god to provide, blah blah blah. Which is funny, because I'm pretty sure god provided for people to make choices about their own lives.

At the rate things are going, following those guidelines, I should be up for sainthood by 2013. I cannot even fathom how people thrive when it's constant fucking misery. No, fundies, my parents' divorce is not a gift from God. Nor is my disability. Nor were the deaths of my loved ones.

Where's a good Gibbs-slap smiley when a lady needs one?

Archived