IGNORED

Yet another homeschooling mom with unemployed husband

smores

Who doesn't have a backup plan with six kids? Why did she have a yard sale just to donate all the money, and yet had no emergency fund? I want to know the answers to these questions, really I do, because things just don't add up. If my husband lost his job mid-week, we'd have at least 1 if not 2 paychecks still coming our way depending on which week it was on the pay schedule.

Who doesn't have a backup plan period.

Nearly everybody has lost a job at least once in their life without another job lined up, yet I am always shocked at the number of people who don't have back up plans.

(or the above mentioned cousin who posted a rant on FB about how everybody just wanted government hand outs, and then a few hours later a rant about how his unemployment hadn't shown up yet.)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ARE CONFUSED

Losing jobs is a fact of life. It's not like she had to say "He has incurable genital warts, herpes and thrush. Those conditions have collectively distorted his genitals into something resembling a balloon dog."

And yes, love, you are panhandling.

I almost choked to death on wine because of this. :lol:

Sooooo, she just started blogging and it's all about their unemployment/lack of funds? I think maybe she is hoping the LORD may lay it on the hearts of her readers to also send in some extra cash or a case of easy mac.

Edited, because this didn't make any sense: "readers to also send in some extra case of a case of easy mac"

Something strikes me as really odd about the timing of this. With all that's supposedly going on in her life she picks now to start a blog? and it's about how her family is surviving her husband's unemployment? How convenient.

Two main thoughts while I read:

1--that first post would irk me if I'd donated food to her. My spaghetti isn't good enough for you?? It was rude! :naughty:

2--Despite that, somehow I feel so, so sorry for her. She seems genuinely hurting and stressed (the story about slamming the door and crying in the kitchen), she may very well have some depression going on, and as you have pointed out...she doesn't seem to be very highly educated.

She DOES need to look for a job but I'm betting she's looking at minimum wage which won't go very far for a family of 8.

Who commented? I don't see any FJ comments...she must moderate them.

Two main thoughts while I read:

1--that first post would irk me if I'd donated food to her. My spaghetti isn't good enough for you?? It was rude! :naughty:

2--Despite that, somehow I feel so, so sorry for her. She seems genuinely hurting and stressed (the story about slamming the door and crying in the kitchen), she may very well have some depression going on, and as you have pointed out...she doesn't seem to be very highly educated.

She DOES need to look for a job but I'm betting she's looking at minimum wage which won't go very far for a family of 8.

Who commented? I don't see any FJ comments...she must moderate them.

I felt sorry until I read more. I mean, really, he worked all this overtime for food and not a emergency fund? I don't care how important eating healthy is, if you are literally 10 days away from not affording food or anything, you are SCREWED. And even minimum wage would be better than relying on the kindness of strangers for who knows how long.

I feel bad for her children, but not her. She is raising them to have no solid education; they did not choose this lifestyle.

1--that first post would irk me if I'd donated food to her. My spaghetti isn't good enough for you?? It was rude!

I kind of felt like that too. I donate pretty generously to food banks (generally the military one, but pretty much if there is a food drive, I'm donating) and I don't donate anything that I wouldn't put on my own table, quality wise. I do buy macaroni and cheese for them, but I am not a cheese person. Pasta goes well because I can usually grab that on sale.

I get that they were trying to do the organic thing, and that she was proud of it, but at least with boxed pasta she could still be doing some healthy stuff. Maybe not optimal for her (I keep my home fed with pretty-frequent servings of it, but I also run an average of 5-10 miles a week, so I'm not worried about the weight issue), but workable. Then again, I agree that it was crazy to be spending all that money on the organic stuff when they were so close to the line.

I liked that she was honest about feeling that way. I'm in the camp that says she's hoping for donations, but it sounds like they do need them.

from Themadapple:

You could say it's similar to Anna T's being oh-so-exhausted after her husband was let go, but at least she was more coherent.

Yes, we know that Anna is easily tired and thinks that all women are chronically exhausted unless they make a home (and then they're just merely tired), but at least she went out and got a job when her husband was unemployed! And part of her exhaustion (at least at that point) was that she was in early pregnancy.

I almost choked to death on wine because of this. :lol:

'Cuz it's all about the manly man, of course. Please don't make his wittle bittle ego hurt an iota when he doesn't do what he said he'd do - PROVIDE FOR YOUR FAMILY>

My eyes are watering from trying to read that blog. That WRITING... GAH!!!

Okay, so who wants to PM me and tell me what forum she posts on? :D

ETA: Message received, thank you!

I also wonder how close they were to the line while they were buying more expensive organic food stuff. It sounds like they don't have much in their emergency funds. Then again, it takes a lot to raise six kids and her husband doesn't sound like he was making a whole ton of money (probably enough to provide for their needs). They may not have had time to save up for a rainy day.

If I was this lady right now, first thing I'd do is think about putting the kids into schools. It sounds like four of the five kids can be placed in public school. Her husband is home so this woman can go work part time or whatever while hubby can care for the youngest. Any income is probably better than none, right?

I'm also willing to wager the it will take a while for the husband to find a job of equal pay. If he wants a job quickly, he may have to take a temp position working in restaurants or a store. Also, the family sounds like they have only one car, and the guy's job is 40min away. It doesn't sound like they are living comfortably either (him working so far away and still having one car). I bet the husband did not bring home a big paycheck before the firing.

Based on what umemployed people I know, it can easily take up to a year to find a comparable job, many times still at lower pay. So this woman's husband will probably need an emergency job. In fact, both couples should look for temp jobs. They can't depend on charity of others indefinitely.

The woman did post one thing that's correct: many men do find it very demoralizing to lose their job. Our society still values husband as providers and being unemployed hits men's self-esteem particularly hard. I don't think the family will have it easy, whatever happens in the future.

One last note, I would also like to know what forum this women was visiting?

What kind of mother doesn't immediately begin trying to find a job when their spouse is unemployed?

I think it's "depends on the family" kind of situation. For some families, it may make more sense to Mom to continue to stay home so their husband can job hunt and deal with interviews without having to juggle the children's routine at home, but that's supposing that the unemployed spouse is actually actively job hunting.

The last time my husband was unemployed, I didn't rush to get a job for that very reason. My husband was getting at least one interview or phone interview a week, and I didn't want him to have to schedule those interviews around our kids school schedules or have to hope that our 2 year old was napping, but we also had some savings and husband was getting unemployment so we weren't living off the charity of others... and my husband landed a job within 2 months of losing the previous one.

That said, if I was living off the charity of others, I wouldn't have been whining about the food I was getting... that whole beggars can't be choosers thing.

I think it's "depends on the family" kind of situation. For some families, it may make more sense to Mom to continue to stay home so their husband can job hunt and deal with interviews without having to juggle the children's routine at home, but that's supposing that the unemployed spouse is actually actively job hunting.

The last time my husband was unemployed, I didn't rush to get a job for that very reason. My husband was getting at least one interview or phone interview a week, and I didn't want him to have to schedule those interviews around our kids school schedules or have to hope that our 2 year old was napping, but we also had some savings and husband was getting unemployment so we weren't living off the charity of others... and my husband landed a job within 2 months of losing the previous one.

That said, if I was living off the charity of others, I wouldn't have been whining about the food I was getting... that whole beggars can't be choosers thing.

I can see her refusing certain food items if there are allergies in her family. Overall I agree, beggars can't be choosers if they aren't a lot of health concerns in regards to allergies.

I would never publicly complain about free stuff. These are jokes you make among friends. Someone thought enough of her to buy her some pasta, and all that should be on her blog is how she hardly ever used to eat it for some reason but now YUM she and her family are gorging on pasta due to someone's generosity.

I would never publicly complain about free stuff. These are jokes you make among friends. Someone thought enough of her to buy her some pasta, and all that should be on her blog is how she hardly ever used to eat it for some reason but now YUM she and her family are gorging on pasta due to someone's generosity.

Someone who is truly poor cant afford to be picky. I feel bad for her children.

Beggers can't be choosers and all but one can still eat healthy on a budget. If the woman lives near a moderate or small city, she can shop for beans and rice in bulk. They will keep. They are nutritious. They are very cheap. Poor people the world over eat them as daily staples. Best of all, the combination of beans and rice provides for all necessary protein needs. Fresh produce, OTOH, will be more expensive....

Beggers can't be choosers and all but one can still eat healthy on a budget. If the woman lives near a moderate or small city, she can shop for beans and rice in bulk. They will keep. They are nutritious. They are very cheap. Poor people the world over eat them as daily staples. Best of all, the combination of beans and rice provides for all necessary protein needs. Fresh produce, OTOH, will be more expensive....

I still live on rice and beans. Add veggies to that and you have a complete meal. I am not a big meat fan, but I will not turn it down. Meat is expensive right now so its a good thing to reduce in your diet if you need to reduce your food budget.

Now the blog is private. What happened?

Indeed it is, the things that happen while half the world sleeps. It would appear that FJ's pinged the fundie-donate-to-me-radar. Golly gee, after last weekend I can't wait to see what happens next.

Indeed it is, the things that happen while half the world sleeps. It would appear that FJ's pinged the fundie-donate-to-me-radar. Golly gee, after last weekend I can't wait to see what happens next.

I'm a little sad she didn't come over here and do a Friday Night Fundy Flounce. :(

The blog being set to private could be because of the forum she was posting on. Someone on that forum might have given her shit or the mods on that forum might have given her some kind of warning if she was doing something that is against their Terms of Service. The forum that she is posting on is easy to find, google the the blog address and you will find the forum.

Archived