IGNORED

Downton Abbey

contrary

Yup. He could have listened to the one person who'd been pregnant before and offered her assessment that this was not right or normal. Grah.

:text-yeahthat: He's probably going to be sleeping in the dressing room for some time, as the Dowager Countess said that sometimes, people need someone to blame.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I heard Sybil tell Mary that she had swollen feet and a headache I thought "Oh yeah, been there, done that." I was surprised that she wasn't OK after delivering the baby, though.

When I heard Sybil tell Mary that she had swollen feet and a headache I thought "Oh yeah, been there, done that." I was surprised that she wasn't OK after delivering the baby, though.

Now that I am thinking about it, I thought there was some scene where Sybil was described as being out of it; something to the effect of her not "being all there" or something like that. Might that suggest that she was hallucinating? Does anyone remember that? If so, that sure doesn't sound good!

Now that I am thinking about it, I thought there was some scene where Sybil was described as being out of it; something to the effect of her not "being all there" or something like that. Might that suggest that she was hallucinating? Does anyone remember that? If so, that sure doesn't sound good!

There was a point where she was talking with Tom and Dr. Clarkson came in and she apologized for not being on duty (as she was still as nurse and the war was still on)

Phew...I was apprehensive clicking on this thread, since the show has already aired in Britain and I didn't want there to be spoilers for me. But I just had to come comment on the craziness that was S3E4! I wonder why they killed Sybil off?? My shock at Sybil's death is second only to what I felt at Dana's death on The L-Word a few years ago. Poor Sybil, she was so sweet. And what a torturous death scene hers was! I can't help but be upset with Lord Grantham. I fully understand Cora banishing him to the dressing room.

Guest Anonymous
Phew...I was apprehensive clicking on this thread, since the show has already aired in Britain and I didn't want there to be spoilers for me.

There are lots of spoilers upthread - just for you to be aware - and we will probably continue to post snippets from the UK news about S4 spoilers as they come out. There is a separate thread for people watching in US time. :)

There are lots of spoilers upthread - just for you to be aware - and we will probably continue to post snippets from the UK news about S4 spoilers as they come out. There is a separate thread for people watching in US time. :)

Thank you. I only looked at the end of this thread for that very reason. Off to find the US thread...

ETA: Ok, the search function is really letting me down here. First of all, it's searching within people's posts, not just titles, so I'm afraid that I'll see spoilers that way. Second, I'm not seeing any USA threads anyway. If anyone knows the link, could you please share it with me? Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

:clap: Best news I've heard today! :)

Maggie Smith + Shirley Maclaine = my reason to keep watching, despite the dodgy storylines. :D

Maggie Smith + Shirley Maclaine = my reason to keep watching, despite the dodgy storylines. :D

Them, and the art direction! Yummy.

I bought season 3 through Amazon video and watched the whole season. I can't figure out if

Matthew's death

is going to be interesting or a "jump the shark" moment.

I bought the UK version - how does it differ from the US version?

Guest Anonymous

It's ok to talk about the ending of the series on here without spoilers - in fact, we already have done so, in great detail!

I don't think there is any difference between what the UK and the US see, is there? It is not censor-worthy stuff?

I think the issue with Matthew was that the actor took the option to leave and there was simply no choice but to kill him off. I think that Mary and Matthew peaked during Christmas 2011, tbh. I would love to see her replace Matthew with someone with a bit more spark to him, in series 4. Another mysterious figure like Parmuk, but without the rape issues this time.

It's ok to talk about the ending of the series on here without spoilers - in fact, we already have done so, in great detail!

I don't think there is any difference between what the UK and the US see, is there? It is not censor-worthy stuff?

I think the issue with Matthew was that the actor took the option to leave and there was simply no choice but to kill him off. I think that Mary and Matthew peaked during Christmas 2011, tbh. I would love to see her replace Matthew with someone with a bit more spark to him, in series 4. Another mysterious figure like Parmuk, but without the rape issues this time.

Interesting comment about Pamuk - do you really feel like it was rape? I feel like it was more of a seduction - I thought they made it clear that the moment she saw him, Mary was in major lust for him. Yet, I remember him pushing her against the wall to kiss her without permission not to mention coming into her room - so I guess a case can be made that he took advantage of her. But later she told Matthew that it was lust that drove her to allow Pamuk into her bed.

Poor Edith, though. They have not done anything to let her be happy - I'm pretty sure the horrid "Mr. Rochester" editor will eventually choose his mad wife and Edith will, yet again, be totally bereft of love.

While I understand they could not keep Robert and Cora estranged forever, I was proud of her standing up to Robert following Sybil's death and saying all the things that we were thinking about his horrible judgment.

Disappointed beyond belief that Thomas is still around and I will go insane if he starts in on Bates again.

Guest Anonymous

I think it was rape because she said "no". I think the overall storyline was "muddled" because the of the 21st C screenwriters' fantasies that sometimes "no" means "yes" and women across the ages sometimes just need to be persuaded by a "nice" strong man.

As for Poor Edith, I can see her rocking herself in the next bed along to the Editor's wife unless she miraculously gains some self-respect from somewhere. Ideally, I'd like Shirley Maclaine's character to whisk her off to the US for a bit of fun, but I imagine that treat might now fall to Martyred Mary and Poor Edith's lot will be to fall ever deeper into a life of misery and disappointment.

I'm actually glad Thomas is still around. He has become a bit of a pantomime baddie, and his storylines are predictable, but I like that not everyone is so damn worthy.

I bought season 3 through Amazon video and watched the whole season. I can't figure out if

Matthew's death

is going to be interesting or a "jump the shark" moment.

I bought the UK version - how does it differ from the US version?

I don't think so, only that it is shown in the UK a few months before it is shown in the US.

What's the deal with O'brien? Is there a reason she's such a vindictive witch?

It's never really specified. Somewhere along the lines she makes a comment that she's served Cora for ten years. She's probably bitter about where she's at in life and might want a higher place in society but it's out of her reach.

It's never really specified. Somewhere along the lines she makes a comment that she's served Cora for ten years. She's probably bitter about where she's at in life and might want a higher place in society but it's out of her reach.

I would really like to see some backstory on O'Brien sometime. She seems very unhappy with her lot in life and I would like to bet that there's some major disappointment, either personal or professional, in her past.

I have heard talk of a DA "prequel" that would go back to when Lord and Lady Gratham met and married. Maybe O'Brien's history can be worked into that one!

I would really like to see some backstory on O'Brien sometime. She seems very unhappy with her lot in life and I would like to bet that there's some major disappointment, either personal or professional, in her past.

I have heard talk of a DA "prequel" that would go back to when Lord and Lady Gratham met and married. Maybe O'Brien's history can be worked into that one!

Same here. O'Brien is a complicated character and it would be nice to see what makes her tick.

Same here. O'Brien is a complicated character and it would be nice to see what makes her tick.

I've wondered if Alfred is really her son, not her nephew. I also wondered if that's why she befriended Thomas in the earlier series - because she had a son close to his age.

I've wondered if Alfred is really her son, not her nephew. I also wondered if that's why she befriended Thomas in the earlier series - because she had a son close to his age.

Good question! I hadn't thought of that possibility.

Affairs did happen back then and if Alfred is her son she would've had to cover it up so she wouldn't be dismissed.

Archived