IGNORED

Downton Abbey

contrary

Guest Anonymous

I enjoyed yesterday's episode so much that I'm watching again, on ITV player. :D

I love Lady Mary's "married" clothes and makeover and really enjoyed her alliance with her Grandmama over the American grandma's money.

I was totally squicked out though by Matthew's conversation with Lord Grantham over the honeymoon. "My eyes have been opened" :angry-screaming:

Looking forward to seeing the clothes at Edith's wedding!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many times can Matthew and Mary have the SAME conversation?

"I can't believe you won't help my family."

"I'm sorry, my darling. I would feel like a big fake and a meanie if I did. And if you push me any more on the subject I might just raise my voice at you."

"Well it's too unfair."

And it looks like they're doing it again next week! Argh!

I imagine this will be a constant theme for this season, and I agree its annoying. Especially now that Mary, while still annoyed, always seems to end it with a "now kiss me!"

Loved Mary and Violet's plotting. Ditto the downstairs plotting against Thomas.

Isobel and her smug "forward thinking" smugness are annoying me.

(edited to make picture smaller)

I'm a bit sad that they didn't show the actual wedding, as it would've been nice to see, but I love Cora's mother and I hope we get to see more of her, as well as Sybil and Branson.

I'm a bit sad that they didn't show the actual wedding, as it would've been nice to see, but I love Cora's mother and I hope we get to see more of her, as well as Sybil and Branson.

From the brief clips I've seen of Cora's mother she looks like a fun character.

I really wish we could've seen Sybil's wedding dress.

The wedding would have been lovely to see. Shame they felt the need to cut that out. This episode was good but... I am also losing patience with Mary. I realise that women's rights are a bit of a joke for most people in this era, but does she have to be such a doormat post-marriage? You're going to lose your home, have a meaningless title, be a complete joke and your husband can stop that but he's decided to martyr himself on Lavinia's memory. For heaven's sake, smother him while he's sleeping and inherit the money yourself!

I was so sad to see Mrs. Hughes ill. I know an important character is being killed off this season, but was hoping it was someone from the family. Not sure why, I just figure the staff have enough crappy stuff to deal with, why do they need to get ill an die too?

Also disappointed that Ethel hadn't risen above her circumstances. I was so hoping that she'd take the advice given last season and move to the city, claim to be the widow of a soldier and start over. I really did want to see her come back as someone successful. Maybe as society got a little more wild post-war, that she and maybe Mary or Edith would meet at a party in the city to which they'd both been invited.

I share some of your annoyance with Mary, but I think from her perspective, she's scared of losing the only life she's ever known, and that can be hard. I hope Matthew or someone is able to save Downton. I was thinking about Edith's betrothal to Sir Anthony Strallan and if that might somehow help the family's fortunes, if he might be able to help at all. I have to say, I'm intrigued that Ethel is back and am curious what she'll bring to the plot, but saddened that Mrs. Hughes might be killed off this season. She's like the glue that holds everything together where the servants are concerned.

Ooh, I didn't even think about Edith! Remember when she said that it was unfair that her father was so accepting of Sybil's marriage to the chauffeur, but when Edith finds gentleman with money, something, and something else, he's against it? I'm almost certain she mentions his money when they're having that conversation. Perhaps Anthony's a lot richer than everyone thinks... maybe he made a killing in railways after the war (unlike a certain Earl!) and can put in the cash to save Downton.

Edith would so hold it over Mary for pretty much the rest of their lives.

I agree with you about Mrs. Hughes. She's such a reliable character and makes Carson a lot more likeable. Without her around he'd be a lot harsher on the rest of the staff.

I'm still getting over the 'Have you done something jolly with your hair' comment :lol: Already a winner amongst my friends.

Mary CANNOT inherit...that's been the problem all along, and Lord Grantham has expressed frustration over it. The laws at the time didn't allow her to inherit.

I think it's easy to look at her and be annoyed from our own 21st century perspective, but (and especially for Mary), I think it's less to do with her wanting to "keep up the lifestyle to which she is accustomed", and more to do with the noblesse oblige ideal; that as the manor around which the village and the local economy is built, the Crawleys have a responsibility both to maintain it and to present to the village that all is well.

I agree it's rapidly becoming outdated, even in 'show time' as the 20s approach, but it's still a generations-long ideal (and I think Mary and Lord Grantham would say it's a real responsibility) that Mary is not going to just breeze through with an "oh well, times are a-changin!".

Matthew on the other hand...annoys the shit out of me. At least Mary is complex. Matthew is the one dimensional shining Golden Boy with perfect ethics and morals. I hope he develops some depth because most of the time I just want to smack him.

Bugger, I was forgetting Matthew's role. My hope was that Mary would smother him in his sleep before Matthew gave away the money, inherit it and then save Downton. Of course once Matthew's gone then the estate passes on to the next heir. I don't suppose she's up for marrying the next one.

No wonder Mary has to be so nice. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

NOOOOO!!!!! Poor Lady Edith. :violin: :violin: :violin:

Her dress was the nicest so far, too. Poor, poor Lady Edith.

I KNOW I KNOW :( :(

Convenient about the inheritance moral issue HA!

Guest Anonymous

The inheritance denouement was a bag of shite, after all the build-up. :?

I'm glad for Mrs Housekeeper getting the all-clear, but does this mean we still have a death on the horizon? :?:

Perhaps with Matthew being a co-owner of Downton, he will have some say in where the money is invested. Robert has proven he's not too good at that.

Oh, poor Edith... She needs to go see Gran in Newport. Her dress was stunning and everyone was so happy... She hasn't always been my favourite character, but I really warmed to her in series 2.

Looking forward to the Tom/Sybil Irish problems next episode. Hope we get some shots in Dublin.

Was glad about Mrs. Hughes, and Mr. Carson's reaction. Loved the O'Brien/Thomas conflict. I'd shy clear of both of them in a fight...

Perhaps with Matthew being a co-owner of Downton, he will have some say in where the money is invested. Robert has proven he's not too good at that.

Oh, poor Edith... She needs to go see Gran in Newport. Her dress was stunning and everyone was so happy... She hasn't always been my favourite character, but I really warmed to her in series 2.

Looking forward to the Tom/Sybil Irish problems next episode. Hope we get some shots in Dublin.

Was glad about Mrs. Hughes, and Mr. Carson's reaction. Loved the O'Brien/Thomas conflict. I'd shy clear of both of them in a fight...

Edith :cry: :cry: :cry:

I was able to catch up with season 3 online.

I'm very curious what happens with Sybil/Branson next week.

Poor Edith! :crying-blue: I loved her dress and then for that to happen to her. Last season a friend and I lamented "Throw Edith a soldier boy! Even a wounded one, she'll take him!"

I loved some of the dresses in episode 3 and want to make them now. I can't emborider worth a damn so it's brocade for me.

I admit to not caring much for Edith, but last night's episode just made me want to hug her. :cry: I'm definitely looking forward to next week.

I cried. Poor Edith. I really felt like she would finally have her moment. The way they captured it was wonderful though, her discarded veil billowing down the stairs was lovely.

The whole money issue was weird. It basically proved Matthew can be flaky and disloyal but then he was saved by plot? I don't accept this. I mean....what are they going to do with it?

Just downloaded the first episode of the new season. Loved her dress, loved Branson, loved Sybil, Carson and Matthew and Mary. A bit over Anna/Bates and Daisy should really quit.

Guest Anonymous

A fabulous review of last night's episode, from the RT: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-10- ... go-sex-mad

Especially enjoyed the RT's account of Tom's tomfoolery last night...

...Tom announced that he'd left Sybil in Ireland because they were both on the run from the Garda. Tom hadn't done anything wrong: yes, he was there when some British toffs were run out of their house and it was burnt down, and yes, he'd been to all the planning meetings, but when it happened he felt bad. He was basically totally innocent.

A fabulous review of last night's episode, from the RT: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-10- ... go-sex-mad

Especially enjoyed the RT's account of Tom's tomfoolery last night...

...Tom announced that he'd left Sybil in Ireland because they were both on the run from the Garda. Tom hadn't done anything wrong: yes, he was there when some British toffs were run out of their house and it was burnt down, and yes, he'd been to all the planning meetings, but when it happened he felt bad. He was basically totally innocent.

:lol:

Thomas is gay again! Hooray!

Archived