IGNORED

Downton Abbey

contrary

I didn't see last week's so I watched it and last week's back to back.  Yes it was hate watching.  The 'need' by Julian Fellowes to give EVERYONE a story is making me stabby.  Really, I didn't need the Sprat and whatshername stuff.  The entire house of il repute made me want to throw things at the tv.  and does this mean that Mary can pull the stick out now?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, clueliss said:

I didn't see last week's so I watched it and last week's back to back.  Yes it was hate watching.  The 'need' by Julian Fellowes to give EVERYONE a story is making me stabby.  Really, I didn't need the Sprat and whatshername stuff.  The entire house of il repute made me want to throw things at the tv.  and does this mean that Mary can pull the stick out now?

I thought the whole "house of ill repute" thing was awesome considering that Downton probably would be one under those standards.

• 2 weeks later...

The Tom Branson character has become very tiresome.  All he ever does is lecture Mary.  

Any predictions on how the show ends next week?

I think Edith will get back with her boyfriend and finally get her happily ever after. Maybe she and Mary will bury the hatchet.

23 minutes ago, kpmom said:

The Tom Branson character has become very tiresome.  All he ever does is lecture Mary.  

I think Edith will get back with her boyfriend and finally get her happily ever after. Maybe she and Mary will bury the hatchet.

That's the problem with Downton for me, all of them seem tiresome. 

24 minutes ago, kpmom said:

In each other's backs?

Tom seems to have become a Greek chorus or maybe even a Deus ex Machina.  (My knowledge of Greek drama needs a bit of refreshing.)  He doesn't seem to have much role to play at Downton since he came back from America other than a go-between with Mary and Henry.

I took a couple of tests on the PBS Downton Abbey pages yesterday about which Upstairs and then which Downstairs character you are.  I am Violet, the Dowager Countess and Carson, btw. 

ETA:  I think I saw Edith with Bertie in a preview of Sunday's show.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  I'd love to see Edith become a Marchioness!

Tom's role definitely changed after he came back.   Agree about the "deus ex machina" role, seems like he's there to set Mary straight (which he did wonderfully after Mary spilled the beans about Marigold) and keep her from continuing what he considers a stupid mistake in letting Henry go.  

Mary definitely got her ass handed to her several times.  While there's times I like to root for her there's times I really think she's lucky to have anyone willing to be around her, especially Edith.     

Predictions for last episode:   Edith gets back with Bertie, some twist of plot allows Tom to stay at Downton and while this has been a lesser plot thread, I would like to see how the Isobel / Lord Merton saga wraps up.  I have a soft spot for Lord Merton, he seems such a nice guy, albeit too darn tolerant of his awful sons and clueless about the elder son's conniving fiancee.  

I am watching the last episode.  You will love it!  :my_biggrin:

I was actually sad that it all ended "happily ever after."  After all the tragedy and hardships, to tie everything up in a neat little bow was kind of annoying.  I still loved the show. 

What will happen to the "real" abbey now? Werent they relying on the show to pay for it?

11 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I was actually sad that it all ended "happily ever after."  After all the tragedy and hardships, to tie everything up in a neat little bow was kind of annoying.  I still loved the show. 

What will happen to the "real" abbey now? Werent they relying on the show to pay for it?

Highclere Castle (Downton in the series) has a productive estate, and also opens to the public. The TV series has given their visitor numbers a huge boost, which if it follows the pattern of houses used in other series, will last for a few years. I don't think they are searching for money to repair the roof!

@Buzzard,  it's not quite without a bit of sadness.  Carson was forced to retire due to that tremor in his hand.  I was glad though that Barrow became the DA butler and the rest of it.

Barrow will now become to George and Sibbie what Carson was to Lady Mary.  

• 2 months later...

I started watching just a couple of months ago, and now i'm on season 3. Lady sybil has just died. I'm crying my eyes out.

3 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I started watching just a couple of months ago, and now i'm on season 3. Lady sybil has just died. I'm crying my eyes out.

That's one of the saddest episodes! Keep on watching! 

On Thursday, June 02, 2016 at 7:16 AM, Fundie Bunny said:

I knew it was coming and I still sobbed. I really loved her character. I read that originally it was supposed to be Matthew an Sybil who were to marry. That would have been an interesting dynamic.

On Friday, March 04, 2016 at 11:38 AM, nokidsmom said:

I would like to see how the Isobel / Lord Merton saga wraps up.  I have a soft spot for Lord Merton, he seems such a nice guy, albeit too darn tolerant of his awful sons and clueless about the elder son's conniving fiancee.  

I loved Violet's smackdown of Amelia Cruickshank. When Violet said she would feel bad for Larry Grey if she didn't dislike him so much, I shouted out YES!! Amelia and Larry were definitely a match made in hades.

9 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I knew it was coming and I still sobbed. I really loved her character. I read that originally it was supposed to be Matthew an Sybil who were to marry. That would have been an interesting dynamic.

I also knew it was coming. I mean, it's been 4 years, I have been pretty much spoiler. I think it was even worse to know what was coming than not knowing it. You see her okay and happy with her baby, her father being an ass...

9 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I also knew it was coming. I mean, it's been 4 years, I have been pretty much spoiler. I think it was even worse to know what was coming than not knowing it. You see her okay and happy with her baby, her father being an ass...

OMG, yes, he was a total jerk. I wanted to slap him several times. I liked that Elizabeth McGovern got to have some actual acting scenes during and after Sybil's death, instead of her normal head tilt and sighing reaction that is what she is usually stuck with.

Someecards did facebook style recaps of Season 3 & 4. They are a hoot. Here is the one for the episode you mentioned:

http://www.someecards.com/entertainment/tv/downton-abbey-facebook-recap-season-3-episode-4/

Archived