IGNORED

Black man/White woman (AKA why TTH & readers are stupid)

Guest AudreyParker

Guest Anonymous

There was a post on The Thinking Housewife's blog that really cheered me up. TTH and one of TTH's readers, Jeannette V., were ready to pounce on advertisers for using the black man / white woman combo in their ads. The implication was that the advertisers had intentionally chosen a black man and a white woman for their advert in order to be controversial, shocking, and thrilling.

The ad that had caused so much controversy was this one:

ad-1.jpg

Ha! This is proof that TTH and her readers are in some kind of time warp! Not only is their fear of an interracial couple something that should have been left in the 1950s, but this couple is not even a couple. It's Jane Krakowski and Tracy Morgan from 30 Rock. So it's not so much a sexy interracial couple as a funny comedy pairing. If these ridiculous racists had watched the advert before freaking out about it, they would have known this.

In case anyone doubted the stupidity, Jeanette V. also posted this picture of another black man / white woman combo in advertising:

featured_001.jpg

Jeannette was so offended by the advertiser's choice of models that she even said:

I will not be purchasing any of that business’s products.

What's wrong with this one? For one thing, the woman is Asian.

Ha ha ha!

thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2012/09/advertisers-love-the-thrill-of-black-manwhite-woman/

Im not sure what the second advetisment is selling but its pretty and cant fathom why they got their panties in a wad. Its not 1950 ..hell its not even Alabama before 2000, " Following a November 7th ballot referendum, Alabama becomes the last state to officially legalize interracial marriage,"

Her pal Kidist had a fit of the vapours for her, on her own blog, about the second photo. They're like an unholy alliance of wtf-ery. cameraluc.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/enhancing-asian-woman.html

TTH also quotes this gem about interracial marriages in a recent entry:

People are tuned into members of their own tribe in a way that is unique, profound and everlasting. It’s hardwired into you. It can’t be imitated or learned or acquired. It helps enormously to have that working for you in a spousal relationship. Doing without it is like swimming upstream.

That’s why interracial marriages are the exception rather than the rule, because they’re extra hard work. The example of the assimilation of the Chinese Jews [mentioned by the reader Shefalia] shows how interracial marriage leads sooner or later to homogeneity and not more diversity.

It's like these people stepped straight out of another time into today. And race doesn't equate with culture. I'm culturally German, mixed-race, and live in the UK. Race has never been an issue in dating, cultural differences have. Bizarrely, communication helped.

thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2012/09/the-stubborn-realities-of-race-and-marriage/

:lol: :lol: :lol: That second pic is hilarious!

TTH & Friends are against "interracial pairing" in general. That's when I stopped going there to be shocked, because they sit there writing seemingly thoughtful pieces on why people of different "races" shouldn't pair up, even insisting on using the word "male" instead of "man" - it really is a white supremacy site and originally I would go because holy crap on a cracker their anti-woman stuff could gain traction, that stuff is in right-wing politics now, so wanted to keep an eye on them. But the other stuff? Crazier than squirrel pie and most people would never go along with them, even if some right wingers adopted the attitudes and tried to tie it in with God, abortion, and anti-Communism.

Im not sure what the second advetisment is selling but its pretty and cant fathom why they got their panties in a wad. Its not 1950 ..hell its not even Alabama before 2000, " Following a November 7th ballot referendum, Alabama becomes the last state to officially legalize interracial marriage,"

Oh yay, me and the Mister can go to Alabama now yaaayyy :happy-cheerleaderkid::happy-jumpeveryone::happy-wavemulticolor:

Over 50% of marriages end in divorce. Does she think it's all inter-racial couples? Does she seriously believe all marriages are not hard work? Having to work at something isn't necessarily a bad thing. It usually makes the end result more rewarding. I guess it's easy to think marriage isn't like swimming upstream when you don't have a true voice of your own and are subservient to your headship.

I swear one of the best things about having a black father and a white mother is knowing that just by existing I'm pissing off people like her.

What is this I don't even.

http://cameraluc.blogspot.ca/2012/09/en ... woman.html

Kidist is creepy as fuck. I actually wanted to have a bath after reading this. She's gone past "common or garden racist" territory to become "blogger with serious mental health issues".

Kidist-chan, here's a wee tip for you. The model is not "trying to be white". That would be you.

Over 50% of marriages end in divorce. Does she think it's all inter-racial couples? Does she seriously believe all marriages are not hard work? Having to work at something isn't necessarily a bad thing. It usually makes the end result more rewarding. I guess it's easy to think marriage isn't like swimming upstream when you don't have a true voice of your own and are subservient to your headship.

I swear one of the best things about having a black father and a white mother is knowing that just by existing I'm pissing off people like her.

:D :D :D :D :greetings-clappingorange:

Are interracial couples surprising at all anymore? I mean, really? If you're SHOCKED to see an interracial couple, that might say more about you than the advertiser. Are ads featuring interracial couples actually a rarity in the U.S., or are these people just completely nuts?

Guest Anonymous
Are interracial couples surprising at all anymore? I mean, really? If you're SHOCKED to see an interracial couple, that might say more about you than the advertiser. Are ads featuring interracial couples actually a rarity in the U.S., or are these people just completely nuts?

Oh, they're just nuts. Not only do they disapprove of interracial couples, but they seem to get freaked out when a black man so much as sits next to a white woman.

Question: If I am Aussie with one Scottish and one Aussie parent and my husband is a Kiwi with with one Irish and one Kiwi parent and he grew up in NZ, Thailand and Fiji before moving to Aus, are we an interracial couple? :lol: I don't understand why these people are obsessed with colour.

People in my hometown (teeny conservative town) stare at my hubby and I. Mostly older people. He is Latino and I'm white. We find taking my blue eyed blonde haired nephew out with us amusing there as we get stares and whispers, along with confused looks.

Here we don't get any looks (Chicago) except for a few exceptions sometimes.

Dunno. Some people really need to get with the times.

Uhhhh, being a different color does not mean you're in a different culture. Color and culture are not at all the same thing, at least in a lot of places. Sure, there might be minor differences between your families, but that's true even if you're from totally the "same" background. I'm white, married a white dude, we were both from the same church, same area and everything, and our family backgrounds still felt like they were from different planets.

This stupidity is not worth getting upset over. It's so blatantly rediculous.

What is this I don't even.

http://cameraluc.blogspot.ca/2012/09/en ... woman.html

Kidist is creepy as fuck. I actually wanted to have a bath after reading this. She's gone past "common or garden racist" territory to become "blogger with serious mental health issues".

Kidist-chan, here's a wee tip for you. The model is not "trying to be white". That would be you.

:shock: That was one of the most disgusting things I've read recently. All I got out of it is white women are good, all other people of different ethnicities are bad. As for TTH, she's a wackadoodle and needs to spend more time thinking about things instead of just having racist, narrow minded, knee-jerk reactions to them.

My parents were a mixed race couple (Dad was Caucasian, Mom is a third generation Japanese-American) AND a mixed religion couple (Dad was a lapsed Episcopal, Mom is Zen Buddhist). They married fairly young (Mom was 20, Dad was 24). They had a very loving relationship, that was only ended by my father's death last year. They were married almost 38 years... Dad died a month shy of their anniversary.

They had the problems sometimes, but they were generally from the outside.

I laughed when the Kidist wrote (and TTH agreed) about how the Asian women was obviously made up to look more "white". Uhm....coloration of the hair has been popular in east asia for years now and the eye liner makeup is to outline and make the eyes appear more prominent because it looks NICE.

Yet, somehow everything that Asians do to make themselves attractive is actually to make them look white?!?! And all to attract white males??? I think my Chinese cousins who dye their hair and have Chinese husbands may need to read that memo.....

I wonder how much Kidist's blood will boil if she knew that I, a Chinese, married a white guy! Oh nosssss!! Oh, and I did it without coloring my hair or putting on eye liner. I guess she'd still think I'm that manipulative Asian tart who preyed on unsuspecting white guys so I can marry into a superior race. I'm still not sure how anyone can live in today's world and still think like that. Does anyone know Kidist's story?

All I can see in this post is a hot, shitless man I wouldn't mind having sweet sweet fellowship with.

My parents were a mixed race couple (Dad was Caucasian, Mom is a third generation Japanese-American) AND a mixed religion couple (Dad was a lapsed Episcopal, Mom is Zen Buddhist). They married fairly young (Mom was 20, Dad was 24). They had a very loving relationship, that was only ended by my father's death last year. They were married almost 38 years... Dad died a month shy of their anniversary.

They had the problems sometimes, but they were generally from the outside.

Yeah. Similar to my family (dad is third gen Scots-Irish, lapsed Catholic, mom is an immigrant from Japan, Mahayana Buddhist). They have a great relationship, and have been married 37 years.

All I can see in this post is a hot, shirtless man I wouldn't mind having sweet sweet fellowship with.

yeah that.

Also, while TTH is right that relationships with people who are different can be harder, I think that the color of skin isn't a difference that really matters. Attitudes and upbringing are more important. If the black man and the Asian woman grew up in the same neighborhood, went to the same schools, and had parents with similar values, are their outlooks actually different? My husband grew up upper middle class in New England and I grew up working poor in the south. We sometimes run into issues about things like money for instance. But even with the occasional issue, having a relationship with someone from a different background is worth it. Not to be trite, but love can overcome!

Yeah. Similar to my family (dad is third gen Scots-Irish, lapsed Catholic, mom is an immigrant from Japan, Mahayana Buddhist). They have a great relationship, and have been married 37 years.

It's funny this was brought up today, I'm half Greek and half Taiwanese. My husband is black. Tonight we were in Walmart and an older woman told me I should not have gotten pregnant cause ny baby won't know what it is.

Of course I said something like I'm sure he will know he's a human just like the rest of us. I'm not too sure what you are though, other than an old bitch.

I know its wrong to talk to elders that way but these hormones make me crazy.

It's funny this was brought up today, I'm half Greek and half Taiwanese. My husband is black. Tonight we were in Walmart and an older woman told me I should not have gotten pregnant cause ny baby won't know what it is.

Of course I said something like I'm sure he will know he's a human just like the rest of us. I'm not too sure what you are though, other than an old bitch.

Oh, yes... The good old "what are you?" question. Some people just cannot understand that everybody, regardless of their race, has a racial identity process. It is different for multi-racial people than for others, but it is present for everybody.

Congratulations, btw!!

Conversations like this always remind me of the time we had two musicians staying with us. One was black and one was white. I was a total xenophobe and talked far more to John-Colin - the black one; because he was English and I could understand him better than Lucas, the classic scandinavian ;-)

Congrats! And I think your response was spot-on. The nerve of that woman to tell a stranger about whether or not she should have a baby! :evil:

"What are you" conversations are so irritating. Not even 'who', but 'what'. Here's a bingo card: (sorry about the size, somehow I can't shrink it)

Archived