IGNORED

Fundy response to Bill Nye

kpmom

I lurk on a Christian homeschool forum. I wondered when they'd get around to Bill Nye and his views on evolution and creationism, and they didn't let me down.

I think this was my favorite comment so far;

"It's the reverse of what we do. We *know* the Bible is true and God is real, and we are sad when folks teach their children differently. I find it hard to stomach when people of other faiths or no faith teach their children against the ways of God. I strongly believe it to be harmful to children.

It's not surprise to find that "they" believe us to be doing our own children a disservice."

Blessings,

Lisa R.

I found the "people of other faiths", and referring to people who believe in evolution as "they", particularly offensive.

Anyway, here's the link to the discussion;

chfweb.com/index.php?t=msg&th=81461&start=0&S=e01f450715aee8eeeb4d59a728d2d507

"It's not [sic] surprise to find that "they" believe us to be doing our own children a disservice."

right back at you, honey.

Bill Nye was on C2C last night with call-ins. Very good show a couple of fundies called in all butt hurt claiming he was persecuting xtians. Bill said he didn't point at a religion, he was pointing out a POV that had no scientific basis.

Thank you kpmom, I was looking for this!

Don't you just love when they break out the "it's true because we say it is" rebuttal? They have no evidence other than a book with no basis in fact, whereas Nye has hard empirical evidence on his side. Guess who I'm going to believe.

Just wanted to add this comment I saw on that forum today;

"I saw an interview with him the other day on the TODAY show. He's crazy!!! Crazily deceived. According to him all Creationists are scientifically illiterate and if Creationists were in charge there would be no advancements in technology. I think he has forgotten many a Christian scientist who have help shape our technological and scientific world as we know it."

Linda

wife to dearest Tom for 23 years,

mom to Lydia (19), Samuel (16), Logan (11), and Silas

First of all, I'm wondering which "brand" of Christianity she is talking about. I doubt many fundamentalist, take- every -word- of- the- bible -literally, Christians have helped "shape our... scientific world as we know it". I just don't see how a scientist could serve those two masters.

I don't doubt many scientists have belonged, and continue to belong, to some mainstream Christian religions, but I sincerely doubt the scientists who have truly changed and shaped our world were fundamentalist, bible- is- the- inerrant -word- of -God, people.

Second of all, Bill Nye didn't say Christians were scientifically illiterate, he said Creationists were.

Obviously this commenter does not believe a true Christian could be anything but a Creationist.

What the fundies seem to miss out on is how friggin' amazing evolution and prehistoric development is. You can totally apply the idea of it being guided by G-d and see that the earth's age is not being represented literally but figuratively. Compare Genesis to the essentials of the Big Bang and evolution. Genesis talks about nothingness, then dead spheres swirling around. Then there was light and light separated the darkness, then the waters receded to create land etc..... Its all rather accurate if not highly detailed. Genesis is the fictionalized version of earth creation. As for evolution, it has the general order of small simple organisms being created before more complex ones.

Why can't they see that they could still keep G-d in the picture while teaching full on evolution and Big Bang to their kids? All they have to do is accept that 7 days was more like 7 eras in time, not actual 24 hour days. You can describe the creation of man as not being instantaneous, but a process where different kinds of men were ultimately rejected in favor of our current state.

Its so silly to keep up this "The Bible is 100 percent accurate and we read it completely literally despite what silly Science has to say". Why not just say its all guided by G-d and you have to read more deeply into the Bible to see that there's more than what's on the surface.

"I saw an interview with him the other day on the TODAY show. He's crazy!!! Crazily deceived. According to him all Creationists are scientifically illiterate and if Creationists were in charge there would be no advancements in technology. I think he has forgotten many a Christian scientist who have help shape our technological and scientific world as we know it."

"Scientifically illiterate" pretty much defines Creationists.

Bill Nye was on C2C last night with call-ins. Very good show a couple of fundies called in all butt hurt claiming he was persecuting xtians. Bill said he didn't point at a religion, he was pointing out a POV that had no scientific basis.

I was listening to parts of it a few minutes ago. I love how 1 man said that "You worship at the altar of Evolution". Um, you don't believe in science, you ACCEPT it. :lol:

I am entirely unsurprised that fundies who aren't smart enough to understand science are also utter failures at forum etiquette.

The hot pink, 20-pt, centered signature espoused by one user too eloquent to add anything to the discussion but "Arg!" is my personal favorite.

What the fundies seem to miss out on is how friggin' amazing evolution and prehistoric development is. You can totally apply the idea of it being guided by G-d and see that the earth's age is not being represented literally but figuratively. Compare Genesis to the essentials of the Big Bang and evolution. Genesis talks about nothingness, then dead spheres swirling around. Then there was light and light separated the darkness, then the waters receded to create land etc..... Its all rather accurate if not highly detailed. Genesis is the fictionalized version of earth creation. As for evolution, it has the general order of small simple organisms being created before more complex ones.

Why can't they see that they could still keep G-d in the picture while teaching full on evolution and Big Bang to their kids? All they have to do is accept that 7 days was more like 7 eras in time, not actual 24 hour days. You can describe the creation of man as not being instantaneous, but a process where different kinds of men were ultimately rejected in favor of our current state.

Its so silly to keep up this "The Bible is 100 percent accurate and we read it completely literally despite what silly Science has to say". Why not just say its all guided by G-d and you have to read more deeply into the Bible to see that there's more than what's on the surface.

This isn't actually true, not even getting into the issue of two conflicting creation stories. As an example, the first creation story lists that sun and moon after the creation of Earth, which is just very innacurate. But it doesn't matter anyway because it was allegory and not a history textbook.

Guest Anonymous

I was reading the KJV (cause you know the fundies adore it) and check this out:

Genesis 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens

Generations. As in more than one day, week, or year.

I was reading the KJV (cause you know the fundies adore it) and check this out:

Genesis 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens

Generations. As in more than one day, week, or year.

Wrong definition of generation. This one means "creation of". A generation of people is so called because they were born in about the same time period.

This isn't actually true, not even getting into the issue of two conflicting creation stories. As an example, the first creation story lists that sun and moon after the creation of Earth, which is just very innacurate. But it doesn't matter anyway because it was allegory and not a history textbook.

Oh dear baby jesus christ on a cracker. How I hate hearing fundies tell me that "there is NOT two creation stories! Genesis 2 is just expounding on what had already been said!!!eleventy!!!" It makes me stabby.

Guest Anonymous

Wrong definition of generation. This one means "creation of". A generation of people is so called because they were born in about the same time period.

Oops. My bad. Thanks for clearing that up.

Archived