IGNORED

Ski Skirts

Jinger_Cat

Oh my. Apparently, this is where the Maxwell ladies got those adorable "sporty" skirts they wore hiking. (From a blog comment and answer). http://modestactivewear.blogspot.com/

Check out the "ski skirt" about halfway down the page. Yes, ski skirt. :shifty:

I dont mind people wearing stuff like this. They just have to make sure they can be safe while wearing a ski skirt. I am all for comfort if you can still do what you want to do safely.

Seriously I still don't understand why skirt=modesty, Wearing pants under a skirt seems redundant. Just wear the damn pants.

My comment is at least they are promoting exercise amongst fundie women by creating semi practical exercise clothing. I can't imagine denim frumpers motivating too many women to go run, ski, play tennis etc.

When I was marathon training in 2009 I had an Orthodox Jewish woman training in my group. She wore a knee length tech skirt with capri yoga pants under it and long sleeved tech tops. She seemed pretty comfortable. To be honest see a lot of fairly modest running skirts out on the trail. They are popular not just with fundie religious types.

Riffles

The girls I made these for were thrilled that they could finally go skiing.

Ugh. No. They could always go skiing, just your ridiculous rules prohibited them from doing so. I don't get why outerwear must be skirt-like as well! Judging by that ski outfit I imagine two things: 1) it is a great way to fall on your face and 2) snow up the cloaca!

Seriously I still don't understand why skirt=modesty, Wearing pants under a skirt seems redundant. Just wear the damn pants.

If you wear pants there's two issues: (1) you're wearing men's clothes which is forbidden (people argue over whether femmy looking pants explicitly made for women are okay or not, but some don't accept even those) and worse yet (2) men can see where your legs join your hips, meaning your pelvic area, they can see your legs come together and will be INSTANTLY obsessed with your VAG and thoughts of sexytimes 24/7. They will sin, and YOU will be responsible!!!! :roll:

As someone sitting here wearing a pair of men's tighty-whities underneath a pair of fairly form-fitting yoga pants, I'm not buying any of it, but those are the usual reasons.

Meanwhile though I thought tennis was always played in skirts for women anyway? I suppose the problem is the skirts are too short?

snow up the cloaca!

LOL!! :lol: that's gotta hurt...

I dont understand it either. Men wore robes back in biblical times and I dont understand how that is different then a dress. I am all for both men and women wearing skirts/kilts. Wear whats comfortable, just make sure it something that is safe for the activity that you are doing. I think thats whats lacking in American culture. We have lots the ability to be sensible about what you are wearing.

Edit: I see freshmen and seniors in college wearing open toe shoes in the chemistry labs. I just want to slam my palm into their foreheads and tell them to think. I sometimes wonder if they have the critical thinking skills to understand that flip flops in the lab could physical harm.

I can kind of understand walking or running in a skirt but white water rafting? I'm pretty sure no reputable company would allow a client to go out on the water in a skirt. It would be a huge risk.

This is a WTF moment for me. For too many years women's active outdoor wear was expensive, and largely lacking in design for purpose. Some of us we had to choose to adapt boys wear to our needs if we were petite. I despised the woolen jumpers I had to wear to play flied hockey in 1967, no less ironing the oxford peter pan collared shirts that had to be worn below, and then the bloomers worn underneath for modesty. By 1980 we had real sports wear for climbing rocks and mountains and skiing and boarding down hills. Advances in design and textile engineering and kinetic studies have given us state of the art gear that fits, wears well and is largely affordable. Please I cannot look at these regressive photos. Wasn't it the seven sisters who were photographed going downhill in dresses?

Here's another idea for modest wear on the slopes.

ski-nuns-on-skis-web.jpg%3Fw%3D900

She recommends that the purchasers wear ski pants under the skirts. I'm not sure that I could ski with all that material around me. Does solve the snow problem.

She recommends that the purchasers wear ski pants under the skirts. I'm not sure that I could ski with all that material around me. Does solve the snow problem.

Yeah, wearing the snow pants under would stop the snow from entering your dirty area, but you would end up looking like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. She also suggests wearing stirrup pants, I assume made out of some sort of jersey. I remember as a kid wearing those because they were in fashion (oh early 80s, you sucked), and getting them wet from snow was a horrible experience.

That would make it cumbersome for me. I dont know if it restricts the girls movement so they cant be safe though. I personally would not buy them because I would need regular snow pants under them. I could see wearing a circle skirt over ski pants but then again, I am the strange girl that wears dresses with jeans.

When I saw this top i thought it might be about the skhoop skirts. (do a google image search, their website doesn't show much until September 7). At first I thought it was an Alaska Only thing, i'd never seen them anywhere else, but I can see why fundies would be drawn to them. However, I've never seen anyone ski in them. Put them on when done? Yes. Ski? No. You get HOT when skiing. Well, cross country. I haven't downhill skied since I was a kid.

The weird overall contraption just seems odd to me.

When I saw this top i thought it might be about the skhoop skirts. (do a google image search, their website doesn't show much until September 7). At first I thought it was an Alaska Only thing, i'd never seen them anywhere else, but I can see why fundies would be drawn to them. However, I've never seen anyone ski in them. Put them on when done? Yes. Ski? No. You get HOT when skiing. Well, cross country. I haven't downhill skied since I was a kid.

The weird overall contraption just seems odd to me.

I had one of those skhoop skirts! I used to waitress at a place where the uniform was a rather short (and prone to wrinkle) 'kilt'. I bought a skhoop to go over it when it was freezing outside (I walked to work in all kinds of weather). I also used to wear it to outdoor raves in the winter!

Oh, good Lord. How??? Why??? Is wearing thick, padded ski pants really immodest? When we go skiing we can hardly tell the guys from the girls anyway, unless someone is wearing pink. (That's usually a girl.)

This is a WTF moment for me. For too many years women's active outdoor wear was expensive, and largely lacking in design for purpose. Some of us we had to choose to adapt boys wear to our needs if we were petite. I despised the woolen jumpers I had to wear to play flied hockey in 1967, no less ironing the oxford peter pan collared shirts that had to be worn below, and then the bloomers worn underneath for modesty. By 1980 we had real sports wear for climbing rocks and mountains and skiing and boarding down hills. Advances in design and textile engineering and kinetic studies have given us state of the art gear that fits, wears well and is largely affordable. Please I cannot look at these regressive photos. Wasn't it the seven sisters who were photographed going downhill in dresses?

Here's another idea for modest wear on the slopes.

ski-nuns-on-skis-web.jpg%3Fw%3D900

I remember women's basketball back in the day when female players couldn't cross the half court line. So very dumb. I also remember women's basketball uniforms that were one piece with skirts and bloomers underneath.

I had one of those skhoop skirts! I used to waitress at a place where the uniform was a rather short (and prone to wrinkle) 'kilt'. I bought a skhoop to go over it when it was freezing outside (I walked to work in all kinds of weather). I also used to wear it to outdoor raves in the winter!

The only reason I don't have one is the cost, plus I would really only wear it for maybe one week a year. If this winter starts off like last, though, I'll probably invest. They seem very cozy, if a tad ridiculous.

The women's clothing company Isis makes a ski skirt; it's a blue/grey colour that hits at the knee. The Isis one is meant for spring skiing and to be worn over lighter spring pants (or base layer, according to the rep). Back when I worked in a ski shop (free mountain passes and gear discounts!!) we would get a few women every season come in and squee over it. The skirt was most popular with a certain crowd who also wore white snow pants (like you wouldn't get oil from the lift on those!) and spent apres-ski in their ski skirt (minus the pants, now) flirting with the guys half their age. Quite far removed from the fundie demographic of this modesty ski skirt!

Anyway, I can't imagine trying to teach someone to ski who was wearing a skirt. At least it seems loose enough (although maybe not) to teach someone "pizza" instead of shoving them down the hill with just "french fries"....

Edited afterthought: pizza, french fries... I'm surprised Smuggar hasn't taken up skiing.

When I saw the Maxwell skirts, i thought Adidas was sponsoring fundies now. Perish the thought.

OT Dead proud of myself. Took me months to work out a Jumper is actually what I would call a 'pinafore' Get the whole 'frumper' thing now.

Where I come from a jumper is a sweater.

Is the frontmost nun wearing a belt of cheese-its? Why...?

As far as jumper = sweaters goes, that confused me for a while reading Harry Potter. Picturing the boys in jumpers was just... strange! (And don't get me started on English kids crawling around in hedges and tunnels and whatnot carrying "torches". It took me years to understand why this wasn't a massive fire hazard.)

Oh, good Lord. How??? Why??? Is wearing thick, padded ski pants really immodest? When we go skiing we can hardly tell the guys from the girls anyway, unless someone is wearing pink. (That's usually a girl.)

If you can't tell the guys from the girls, isn't that awful-awful-awful because boys and girls are just THAT different? Or something?

As far as jumper = sweaters goes, that confused me for a while reading Harry Potter. Picturing the boys in jumpers was just... strange! (And don't get me started on English kids crawling around in hedges and tunnels and whatnot carrying "torches". It took me years to understand why this wasn't a massive fire hazard.)

If you can't tell the guys from the girls, isn't that awful-awful-awful because boys and girls are just THAT different? Or something?

Haha 'torches' the nuances of language can make for fun.

Pants equal knickers here. I love to read fundies saying pants :lol:

no

seriously?

So people are just not allowed to know you have legs at all, in any situation! Real women do not bifurcate!

Says ex racer who would brave all the elements in only a sheen of catsuit, plus as much thermals as I could fit under there without getting lumpy. (before life caught up with me and I got sadly post baby lumpy, and developed my own insulation!)

I dont think, if I wore this I would even be able to ski with my boots done up fully, I cant imagine anything more restricting or indeed dangerous for my rather louche, slapdash low gravity skiing style. Perhaps thats the idea - it would certainly stop you doing jumps, moghuls and anything involving a bit of oomph or effort. Bit of a shame, poncing about in a demure little snowplough with this daft engine on

Dunno why, but she also appears to have a wooden flute at her waist, and the nun next to her has a hip flask. Are these "mainstream" nuns...?

See, I have to figure out how to keep a skirts only child WARM in a New England winter now.

I have one who is Aspie. When she was three, she refused to ever wear pants again. I fought her tooth and nail until I realized it was ridiculous to fight over what *she* wore and I quit. I did require she put pants UNDER her dresses/skirts, since she preferred to be upside down and I didn't want the world to see her underwear.

She's nearly 14 and she still only wears pants on a rare occasion (like she forgot to wash all of her clothes and it's that go to to school naked).

Well, that worked in the south where we've lived her entire life. However, we moved to New England this spring, and I have NO idea what I'm going to do to keep her legs WARM this winter.

Those overskirts seem like a terrible idea for helping her stay warm waiting for the bus and playing the snow (no way this Southern gal is going actual skiiing, there are plenty of hillls on our farm and I'll buy them sleds but that's as far as I go).

I'm getting fleece snowpants for the kids to put over their clothes and the only thing *I* can think is that she could put the ski pants *under* her skirts, then stash them in her locker during school.

I thought maybe some of these modesty sources could help me solve this dilemma, but I don't feel any closer with their ideas than my own. I would love to try to convince her to just put on the PANTS, but I've done this with her for 11 years and I know she's not going to do that. She would rather freeze to death than wear the pants. It's not a modest issue with her. It appears to be a sensory issue.

She also wears super high heels to school. Part of her sensory stuff is that she toe walks and she's found that unlike a boy, she can totally hide this by simply wearing 3-4 inch heels, so so much for the modesty idea, lol.

See, I have to figure out how to keep a skirts only child WARM in a New England winter now.

I have one who is Aspie. When she was three, she refused to ever wear pants again. I fought her tooth and nail until I realized it was ridiculous to fight over what *she* wore and I quit. I did require she put pants UNDER her dresses/skirts, since she preferred to be upside down and I didn't want the world to see her underwear.

She's nearly 14 and she still only wears pants on a rare occasion (like she forgot to wash all of her clothes and it's that go to to school naked).

Well, that worked in the south where we've lived her entire life. However, we moved to New England this spring, and I have NO idea what I'm going to do to keep her legs WARM this winter.

Those overskirts seem like a terrible idea for helping her stay warm waiting for the bus and playing the snow (no way this Southern gal is going actual skiiing, there are plenty of hillls on our farm and I'll buy them sleds but that's as far as I go).

I'm getting fleece snowpants for the kids to put over their clothes and the only thing *I* can think is that she could put the ski pants *under* her skirts, then stash them in her locker during school.

I thought maybe some of these modesty sources could help me solve this dilemma, but I don't feel any closer with their ideas than my own. I would love to try to convince her to just put on the PANTS, but I've done this with her for 11 years and I know she's not going to do that. She would rather freeze to death than wear the pants. It's not a modest issue with her. It appears to be a sensory issue.

She also wears super high heels to school. Part of her sensory stuff is that she toe walks and she's found that unlike a boy, she can totally hide this by simply wearing 3-4 inch heels, so so much for the modesty idea, lol.

Do you think she would wear tights under her skirts? Hue makes some great winter went tights. I have a pair of knit tights I call my "sweater legs" because they look like sweaters for your legs. Also, how about 80's style leg warmers?

I wear running leggings under my skirts on the coldest winter days in Chicago (I take a train to work so I need to keep warm on the walk to and from the station as well as waiting for the train). I also have several pairs of wool socks that go up to my knee that I will wear with the leggings. And coats that go down to the knee helps when keeping warm too. I also can't recommended highly enough a good pair of winter boots....I have found out from experience you unfortunately can't get away with the el cheapo boots if you want your feet to stay warm and dry.

Archived