IGNORED

Treated Like a Dog

Chasingthedog

I'm not 100% sure this belongs in snark or not, so move if need be.

This is a really interesting article with a different prospective on dominance and submission, from a dog trainer who was raised fundy and forced to submit. I remember when I first read about the Pearls (on here) my very first thought was "My God. You don't even treat dogs like that..."

Maybe it's just really fascinating because of my background in dog training, but I thought I'd share.

awesomedogs.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/treated-like-a-dog

That was moving.

I've read some other things of Yvette's, and she often has great insight.

I'm not 100% sure this belongs in snark or not, so move if need be.

This is a really interesting article with a different prospective on dominance and submission, from a dog trainer who was raised fundy and forced to submit. I remember when I first read about the Pearls (on here) my very first thought was "My God. You don't even treat dogs like that..."

Maybe it's just really fascinating because of my background in dog training, but I thought I'd share.

awesomedogs.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/treated-like-a-dog

I am really glad you shared this. I came from a fundie home, went to a Baptist school and all. The shit I lived through still causes me a ton of issues in life. When I moved out, I totally rebelled. Eventually I found my own way but not before a little trip to a mental institution and lots of therapy. In fact, I am still in therapy. And this is one of the things we have been discussing.Being forced to "respect" your parents.

Hell, I didn't respect them, I completely terrified of them! How this helped me I will have no idea. Because I am no longer a christian. I really don't subscribe to the whole religion thing. It took me a whole screwed up childhood and 14 years of a submissive marriage but I finally gave up on the "loving god" thing. I heard I was going to burn in hell since I was little, so what was the point?

It took a lot of therapy for me to realize that I was allowed to have an opinion and I was allowed to live on my own. Brainwashing does a number to a person. Reading this article, it dawned on me WHY I still have problems. It was the abuse, the "training" to "be sweet" and never cry and always give and never worry about myself.

I think therapy will be good this week. Now If I can just manage to take that anger I let loose in there and bring it out here and put it to good use, I would be wonderwoman!

momma4critters, I'm sorry you went through all that and are still having to deal with it.

Chasingthedog, Thanks for posting this. I was raised similar and have many friends who were, and I can see a lot of the same issues coming up as we got older and became adults (I still have major issues with assertiveness and with trust).

I didn't really know anything other thank spanking, yelling, and the occasional time out (usually following one or both of the other) before I had children and it was actually reading up on dog training and trying to train a formerly stubborn/high-strung dog that made me re-evaluate the whole idea of using force and punishment to change behavior. Luckily for my son, I got pregnant with him during the time period of training the dog and it made me also look at different ways of parenting and realize that spanking and force weren't the answer for people, either.

Archived