IGNORED

Why witnessing to non-Christians rarely works

AtroposHeart

It's ridiculous I just roll my eyes now and move on. I've given up trying to explain that me one day waking up and believing in Jesus is as likely as me believing in santa clause. It's also the same reason threatening me like the op said with hell doesn't work.

I think I've told this story here before, how when my husbands uncle found out that I was Jewish he said that he would "sit her down and explain some stuff and take care of that nonsense!".....while I appreciate my father in law taking care of that for me, part of me has wanted to have that convo with Uncle B for the entire 7 years since it happened and explain a few things to him!

BTW, my mother-in-law has cried on the phone to my SIL about me sending my kids to hell, and how she doesn't understand why I won't tell the kids about Jesus. I think she might have been high at the time.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been evangelized a few times in the past week. I wish they would not get angry when they give me a line straight out of the Jews for Jesus manual and I give them the answer I memorized 1850 evangelizers ago. Like the "why is Elohim plural" argument. I already know exactly where they are going and I am prepared with an answer. More often than not, they get angry when I have an answer, and it is one that somewhat disproves Christianity. So I would like to add to this brilliant list: don't get mad when your evangelizee has a good reason for not sharing your faith. This is not persecution of Christians. Christianity is the default religion. Most non-Christians have considered it because it is all around us and the path of least resistance. We did not become Christian despite this, because we saw something that was illogical. If you don't want to know, then don't ask.

I'm curious - what's your answer? The only thing I can think of is something like "I don't believe in him so why's plurality matter?" but I figure it's something slightly ...smarter, lol.

I'm curious - what's your answer? The only thing I can think of is something like "I don't believe in him so why's plurality matter?" but I figure it's something slightly ...smarter, lol.

Because sometimes Elohim is singular. A weird intricacy of Hebrew grammar.

The place that the Christian is trying to bring me: because Elohim is plural, there must be more than one person in God = Trinity. Okay, it's a leap. But especially so when you consider that Moses is referred to as an elohim and also someone else (Samuel??). Unless you want to postulate that Moses is also a Trinity, you must concede that sometimes the plural form is used for a singular entity.

Because sometimes Elohim is singular. A weird intricacy of Hebrew grammar.

The place that the Christian is trying to bring me: because Elohim is plural, there must be more than one person in God = Trinity. Okay, it's a leap. But especially so when you consider that Moses is referred to as an elohim and also someone else (Samuel??). Unless you want to postulate that Moses is also a Trinity, you must concede that sometimes the plural form is used for a singular entity.

Thanks, I knew there was more to it than I was coming up with! :)

My now deceased fiance used to invite them right in. He would act delighted to see them, make coffee, offer food and welcome them like they were long lost friends that he hadn't seen forever. Think, "Oh my God, I am so glad you're here! It's been too long!" I saw him hug a JW once. He was so creepily over the top that first the women refused to come anymore, and soon word got around to the men that he was crazy and not to be trusted because he was so friendly. I always laugh when I think back on that now. Probably the missionaries are so accustomed to getting told off that they have no idea what to do with someone who is happy to see them!

Unfortunately, any rejection of attempts at conversion usually just result in reinforcing these self-centered attitudes in the evangelical.

hahahaha. And converting makes it even worse!

My late father used to have a hand made sign he would put on his front door: No hawkers or missionaries.

There was an addendum sign at election time: Politicians welcome but may be subject to verbal abuse!

I miss him and his sense of humour.

Archived