IGNORED

VF's Father & Son Mountain Retreat

GeoBQn

http://www.visionforum.com/news/blogs/d ... /08/10328/

One hundred years ago, the famous polar explorer Ernest Shackleton placed an ad in the London papers that declared, “Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.â€

I have read about Shackleton, and you--Doug Phillips--are no Shackleton. Among other things, he would not consider staying at a ranch in Colorado to be a "hazardous journey."

Since the Duggars are increasing their VF involvement, this looks like a great opportunity for JimBob to bond with his sons in a way that doesn't include pushing them out of the way to win at paintball.

Yeah, a weekend getaway at a resort with fully-loaded cottages, a pool and a hot-tub. Sounds like a really hazardous journey. :roll:.

It is interesting to see Dimbulb and J'chell start to be more involved in VF than Gothard. Probably because VF would appear to be more palatable to the general public than Gothard, and probably has a larger market share........ :whistle:

#DougPhillipsIsATool

Map and compass basics. Astronomy and GPS in land navigation. Welp, JimBoob will get lost, straight off the bat. And if somehow he doesn't, his son might just repay that paintball incident with a little tomahawk or knife accident. :whistle:

I know that I've heard the name Shackleton but I didn't know much about him so I went to the BBC history section. He sounds like a complex, interesting historical figure that Doug Philips couldn't come close to being.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_f ... nest.shtml

Rejecting his father's wish that he become a doctor, he joined the merchant navy when he was 16 and qualified as a master mariner in 1898

This goes against much of what Vision Forum teaches. Sons are supposed to obey their glorious Christian fathers without question. It sounds as if Shackleton did not do that. Honoring him might give some of the Vision Forum kids the wrong idea.

http://www.south-pole.com/p000098b.htm

As Shackleton returned to England, in May of 1917, the war continued to rage on in Europe. At 42 years of age, Shackleton was one year beyond conscription age. Even though authorities were lowering acceptance standards, joining the Army meant a medical exam; under no circumstances would he allow Army doctors to listen to his heart.

and

By August 1917, Shackleton was bombarding the War Office with offers to go to France to serve on front-line transport. He tried the Foreign Office for a mission to Italy. But all attempts resulted in failure

For all their love of the military and adventure, I don't see any of the Vision Forum men doing anything that slightly endangers them. They sure aren't following in Shackleton's footsteps and trying to join the army to fight in a war. All those Vision Forum men just want to play at being brave but they don't want to actually do anything courageous.

All those Vision Forum men just want to play at being brave but they don't want to actually do anything courageous.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yeah, a weekend getaway at a resort with fully-loaded cottages, a pool and a hot-tub. Sounds like a really hazardous journey. :roll:.

I dunno. Sharing a hot tub with Dougie might indeed qualify!!! :dance:

Guest Anonymous

I dunno. Sharing a hot tub with Dougie might indeed qualify!!! :dance:

Especially if he brings his anaconda.

Dear Doug Phillips (is a tool). I have three bookshelves of Shacklelton and eight binders that are filled with copies of primary documents. You sir are no James Sackleton, Doug Phillips you are a tool.

Doug Philips is a tool Obama Romney Tax Returns Olympics London 2012 . Ok, that's done...

Interesting how he compares a nice end-of-the-summer-vacation to winter In the antarctic.

Shackleton's brother Frank was a thief, and also gay. Bet that get's left out. Doug probably wishes he had a gay bother.

Doug Phillips is a tool!

And because I do so love trolling VF facebook, I left this on the Hazardous Journeys fb page.

Private Sector Space Exploration Launched: Unmanned Capsule Headed for the Space Station.

This ushers in a new era of space travel, history has been made.

http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/ ... lang=en-US

SpaceX Launches Private Capsule on Historic Trip to Space Station

m.yahoo.com

3Like · · Share

3 people like this.

Sola Marisol Awesome, just think if Vision Forum and the Hazardous Journeys society got in on this, one day some manly men would be able to explore Uranus!

2 seconds ago · Like

Doug Phillips is a tool!

And because I do so love trolling VF facebook, I left this on the Hazardous Journeys fb page.

:laughing-rolling: And this is why FJ has become my entertainment of choice :clap: .

I couldn't resist, I have the mind and sense of humour of a 12 year old boy.

Pretty sure you have to believe in science to understand astronomy. Don't even get me started on GPS. Doug Phillips is a tool.

"Doug Phillips is a tool" is now the 4th drop-down option when I type it into Google. This is thrilling.

I love how the VF people treat this as some dangerous trip that will make boys into men! As we all know, dangerous retreats typically include outdoor pools and indoor basketball courts! If these men really want to know what it's like to live dangerously, just go to a third world country where people have no access to drinking water, medical care or the protection of local police. Now, I understand the real reason is to allow for father and son bonding time, which is pretty great. However, why do spend so much time stressing the "manliness" of their trip? They do the same with the women's tea thing, stressing the "femininity" of such an adventure. In their attempt to stress gender stereotypes, fundies really go overboard that it's laughable.

"Doug Phillips is a tool" is now the 4th drop-down option when I type it into Google. This is thrilling.

:clap:

<>

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done FJ!

We've all done our bit and manifested an annoyance for Dougie and the interns that won't go away!

Pretty sure you have to believe in science to understand astronomy. Don't even get me started on GPS. Doug Phillips is a tool.

Oh Dougie, whether of not you believe in Uranus, it does exhist.

Oh Dougie, whether of not you believe in Uranus, it does exhist.

I'm sure Peter Bradrick could find it for him, if he asked nicely :lol:

I'm sure Peter Bradrick could find it for him, if he asked nicely :lol:

Bad, so bad :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Doug Phillips is a tool.

The idea of Doug teaching a course on any of those six courses frightens me. I hope no one thinks that a map & compass course from VF is enough to keep them alive if they decide to wander off into the mountains and get lost. And it IS possible to have survival training, experience, and still die. If they plan on hiking, where is the avalanche training? Oh god, interns, please buy a can of bear spray and learn how to use it. I know the Rockies aren't Alaska, but there are still creatures up there who do not see you as the top of the food chain.

I never knew it was possible to be both insulted (at the idea that going to a resort = hazardous journey) and concerned (what if they wander off the resort after hearing about someone's summit?) at the same time.

VF probably pays Duggars more than Gothard does these days. Gil Bates took over the Gothard speaking tour. Not sure who'll get it next year. But the Duggars are a tad worldly these days for the Gothard circuit. Untucked shirts! Josh having facial hair from time-to-time! No matching outfits!! No, no, no in Gothard land. But, no fear, they're still in it up to their eyebrows. Why else would one girl be a midwife, one a wedding photographer etc, etc.

Dear Doug Phillips (is a tool). I have three bookshelves of Shacklelton and eight binders that are filled with copies of primary documents. You sir are no James Sackleton, Doug Phillips you are a tool.

Slightly lesser Shackleton fan-girl here, but I'm with you. Doug Phillips is a tool, who couldn't hold a candle to the man. Shackleton would be spinning in his grave.

Archived