IGNORED

Louisiana Republican Thinks Christianity the Only Religion

GeoBQn

This woman is a moron - does she not even READ legislation she votes for? If she only thought it meant (her version) the founders' religion, means she's an antisemite too.

From her FB page:

The Louisiana Legislature recently passed a Resolution expressing our support of Israel as a sovreign nation and to protect herself using any and all means necessary. The people of Louisiana wish Israel shalom. State Rep. Valarie Hodges" on The Israel Project's timeline.

Either she doesn't realize Israel isn't a Christian nation, or she thinks that's where all the Jews live.

From her FB page:

The Louisiana Legislature recently passed a Resolution expressing our support of Israel as a sovreign nation and to protect herself using any and all means necessary. The people of Louisiana wish Israel shalom. State Rep. Valarie Hodges" on The Israel Project's timeline.

Either she doesn't realize Israel isn't a Christian nation, or she thinks that's where all the Jews live.

No, apparently - and you're going to laugh if you haven't heard this before - apparently some fundie Christians believe that until Israel a. meets its Biblical boundaries and/or b. is full up with all the Jews, the Second Coming can't happen. And we want the Second Coming to happen, for some reason.

Also, Jews aren't Muslims. God, for some reason, likes the Jews. It's important that we irritate the Muslims while appeasing God's chosen people, even though they're too stupid or something to convert to Christianity.

I never said any of it made sense.

Having lived both just outside New Orleans and then moving to Shreveport before I got out of Louisiana, I feel qualified to say: New Orleans is awesome, though the climate is my idea of Hell, and north Louisiana sucks balls. It reminded me strongly of Georgia except it was a bit more Catholic, but way more boring that Georgia was.

You should have been there the time my ex-boyfriend and I went over to the liquor store just after arriving in Shreveport, on a Sunday, and found the Good Stuff physically roped off. You could only get wine or beer or premade daquiris on Sunday. That's when we realized that apparently a lot of the liquor laws are decided on the parish level. In this case apparently the Baptist parish level. (Do Baptists have parishes?)

Nothing that comes out of Louisiana surprises me. You could easily cut the state into two, maybe three, pieces; culturally it is very very divided.

You lived in Louisiana and don't have any concept of what they meant by parish? The counties/districts are called parishes, and like most states, individual counties or districts determine local laws, including liquor laws. You can't buy most alcohol on sundays where I live either, or it may be after one you can buy. Not sure. I don't drink.

Having lived both just outside New Orleans and then moving to Shreveport before I got out of Louisiana, I feel qualified to say: New Orleans is awesome, though the climate is my idea of Hell, and north Louisiana sucks balls. It reminded me strongly of Georgia except it was a bit more Catholic, but way more boring that Georgia was.

You should have been there the time my ex-boyfriend and I went over to the liquor store just after arriving in Shreveport, on a Sunday, and found the Good Stuff physically roped off. You could only get wine or beer or premade daquiris on Sunday. That's when we realized that apparently a lot of the liquor laws are decided on the parish level. In this case apparently the Baptist parish level. (Do Baptists have parishes?)

Nothing that comes out of Louisiana surprises me. You could easily cut the state into two, maybe three, pieces; culturally it is very very divided.

I was going to PM but apparently I'm not able to yet on the forum. Could you elaborate a little? Girlfriend of two years is moving down to NOLA due to circumstances outside our control and mentioned today that she was worried about the cultural difference, particularly because she got a whole lot of shit for being gay last time she lived in a southern state. I figured that New Orleans seems pretty liberal to me, but I'd love to hear what you think. If you have the right permissions, could you drop me a message?

Sorry for the side-track. Back to lurking.

This woman is foolishly assumptive not to realize "religious schools" include all religions, not just Christianity. And, she also makes me feel ashamed to be a Louisianian. :oops:

On the bright side, my parish sells alcohol on Sundays!

I was going to PM but apparently I'm not able to yet on the forum. Could you elaborate a little? Girlfriend of two years is moving down to NOLA due to circumstances outside our control and mentioned today that she was worried about the cultural difference, particularly because she got a whole lot of shit for being gay last time she lived in a southern state. I figured that New Orleans seems pretty liberal to me, but I'd love to hear what you think. If you have the right permissions, could you drop me a message?

Sorry for the side-track. Back to lurking.

I know a bit about LA due to my job (not from living there) and as with any larger city NOLA is more gay friendly. In general NOLA is more alternative lifestyle friendly than other places in the south. Not exactly San Francisco, but in the south you will find few other places that welcoming.

I know a bit about LA due to my job (not from living there) and as with any larger city NOLA is more gay friendly. In general NOLA is more alternative lifestyle friendly than other places in the south. Not exactly San Francisco, but in the south you will find few other places that welcoming.

I lived there for 2 years and go back about every other year or so. NOLA(specifically French Quarter) might be gay friendly,but you need to make sure you live in a gay friendly neighborhood. It is still very backwards down there in most of the areas outside of the city. I would check with the local GLADD and see exactly where they recommend. Maybe start here http://www.bbnola.com/new-orleans-gay-friendly.php

Heck, we have the same problem over here. I'm opposed to the changes proposed for the school system but some people's opposition is founded on the "fact" that the ebil Hizb (Hizb-ut Tahrir) will instantly be enabled to set up a thousand Muslim schools and radicalise every Muslim in the land and then they'll blow all the rest of us up or some shit. This seems highly unlikely to me. (We only have a handful of Muslim schools on either side of the border right now).

So too the panic over Anjem Choudry's organisation (Sola will know who I mean). Those were the guys who were in the famous photo with the placards saying "Behead all those who oppose Islam". What was not mentioned was that there are about 20 of them, and I mean that literally. 20 people who nearly all other Muslims think are insane. It's like saying the Stalin Society are going to seize control of the UK government next week.

To be honest if I was a Muslim I'd be very worried about how things are going. There's so much Islamophobia right now...

You lived in Louisiana and don't have any concept of what they meant by parish? The counties/districts are called parishes, and like most states, individual counties or districts determine local laws, including liquor laws. You can't buy most alcohol on sundays where I live either, or it may be after one you can buy. Not sure. I don't drink.

I was joking about Baptist parishes, okay? I know what a Louisiana parish is! And yes I know a lot of liquor laws are local but it was an extreme change. I was trying to be funny. But honestly you shoulda seen my ex's face, it was hilarious. I still think physically blocking the aisles off with plastic netting was just stupid -- couldn't the clerk just say "Nope, can't sell you that today" instead? Most places where I've lived I either was too young to drink or the differences between counties were indistinguishable.

I can't say I'm up on the gay-friendly areas, as I left there ten years ago, but I can't imagine being gay being a problem in NOLA proper. Except for climate and location, it's not "The South." The college my brother went to briefly in Natchitoches (up in the northernish part of the state) had orientation classes specifically for students from NOLA, it's sort of considered another planet by most of the state. It's also a lot more fun than most of the state!

I was joking about Baptist parishes, okay? I know what a Louisiana parish is! And yes I know a lot of liquor laws are local but it was an extreme change. I was trying to be funny. But honestly you shoulda seen my ex's face, it was hilarious. I still think physically blocking the aisles off with plastic netting was just stupid -- couldn't the clerk just say "Nope, can't sell you that today" instead? Most places where I've lived I either was too young to drink or the differences between counties were indistinguishable.

I can't say I'm up on the gay-friendly areas, as I left there ten years ago, but I can't imagine being gay being a problem in NOLA proper. Except for climate and location, it's not "The South." The college my brother went to briefly in Natchitoches (up in the northernish part of the state) had orientation classes specifically for students from NOLA, it's sort of considered another planet by most of the state. It's also a lot more fun than most of the state!

Where did you live? We lived in Ponchatoula, less than 1/2 an hour from Britney Spears. :/

Hell, at least they sell beer and wine. You can't buy any alcohol at all on Sundays were I live. It sucks. Most backward law I've ever seen. I hate living in a red state.

Hell, at least they sell beer and wine. You can't buy any alcohol at all on Sundays were I live. It sucks. Most backward law I've ever seen. I hate living in a red state.

I live in Connecticut, one of the bluest states there is, and, until a few weeks ago, you couldn't buy alcohol of any kind on a Sunday (except for drinks at a restaurant), and could only be bought in a liquor ("package") store (beer was sold in grocery stores, though). A couple of years ago, I was in a CVS (chain drug store), and a couple came in looking for the liquor section. They were gobsmacked when people told them they had to go across the street to the packy to get it.

http://www.privateschoolreview.com/religiousSelection/typeReli/17/stateid/LA

http://louisiana.educationbug.org/public-schools/

There are four Islamic schools in Louisana, with a total of 383 students. There are 727,000+ public school students in the state.

0.0005%. That's what she's afraid of?

Thank you! I wondered about that after she claimed that there were "a thousand muslim schools that have sprung up recently" :roll: I would ask if she's ever even been to one, but I think I know the answer to that.

I also love how the article is primarily based on her flip-flopping on the issue of school vouchers. Maybe, if you don't actually support a parent's right to educate their child in whatever religion they choose, you shouldn't support your state's tax dollars going there in the first place :doh: What a freaking moron.

I would say it's a good thing that she's being so obvious in her bigotry, but I have a feeling most of LA would agree with her rather than catch on to the double standard.

Terrytown. Gretna, really, on the West Bank which is of course east of NOLA proper, not far from Algiers.

I miss the food dreadfully.

Terrytown. Gretna, really, on the West Bank which is of course east of NOLA proper, not far from Algiers.

I miss the food dreadfully.

I miss the food too. That is why we go back so often. DH makes great etouffee and gumbo, but can't make beinets and cafe au lait taste the same no matter how hard I try.

I live in Connecticut, one of the bluest states there is, and, until a few weeks ago, you couldn't buy alcohol of any kind on a Sunday (except for drinks at a restaurant), and could only be bought in a liquor ("package") store (beer was sold in grocery stores, though). A couple of years ago, I was in a CVS (chain drug store), and a couple came in looking for the liquor section. They were gobsmacked when people told them they had to go across the street to the packy to get it.

I don't think blue laws have anything to do with red/blue states these days. Colorado (a red leaning purple state) only got rid of the no-alcohol sales on Sunday law a few years ago (but you still can't buy a car on sunday). Maryland, which is a blue stronghold, only allows alcohol to be sold in liquor stores-and has a 10% tax. Grocery stores aren't allowed to sell alcohol at all (but legend has it one store per chain is allowed)....so no cheap Trader Joe wine here.

I miss the food too. That is why we go back so often. DH makes great etouffee and gumbo, but can't make beinets and cafe au lait taste the same no matter how hard I try.

Where is the "like" button?

Ditto on the food, especially the coffee and beignets. (never lived there, only visited)

That I know--I was just responding to Childless's comment on limited liquor sales in a red state. Blue laws have pre-existed the concept of "blue states" for centuries.

Archived