IGNORED

Pencil Liner

Ofglen

Since @ShepherdontheRock started the thread on liquid liner, I thought I'd start one on pencil liner. Anyone have any recommendations for good pencils that don't break the bank? I'm not so bad at the application, I just can't find a good stick liner that has high pigmentation and doesn't smudge, smear, or disappear instantly. I have super oily lids and nothing lasts. I'm currently using the Revlon Colorstay retractable stick with the smudger at the end and it's just total crap. 

I've been in the business of using Nyx chubby sticks. I've also found Rimmel has good options.

But if you REALLY want something to last and you have oily lids, my advice would actually be to invest in a really good eyeshadow primer. I use Urban Decay's and it's basically transparent and anything on over it stays for literally forever.

Seconding the Urban Decay primer! I can wear full eye makeup to crossfit and it won't budge through my gross sweaty mess. It's $20, but will last 6-8 months with daily use, so it's a pretty good deal. Keeps both eyeliner and shadow in place.

Sephora's store branded eyeliner pencil is pretty good. 11 or 12 bucks I think.

Makeup Forever makes really long wearing eye liner. You can get it at sephora. My current favorite brand for literally all makeup and skin are is Pacifica. I have sensitive skin and also prefer to keep things more natural. I've been using their eyeliner pencil for about 9 months and love it.

3 hours ago, Ofglen said:

Since @ShepherdontheRock started the thread on liquid liner, I thought I'd start one on pencil liner. Anyone have any recommendations for good pencils that don't break the bank? I'm not so bad at the application, I just can't find a good stick liner that has high pigmentation and doesn't smudge, smear, or disappear instantly. I have super oily lids and nothing lasts. I'm currently using the Revlon Colorstay retractable stick with the smudger at the end and it's just total crap. 

I'm not sure of your price range, but my favorite is MAC's eyeliner pencil. I use the black retractable one, and I've used it for years. It's around $20.

Trust me on this. Use Smashbox 24 Hour Eye Primer. That will help keep eyeliner on. Also, you can use a very small amount on the bottom to help keep your eyeliner from smearing. I typically use gel liner, but I do own several Clinique Quickliner Entense liners that work fabulous. The trick to using them is doing one eye at a time and using either the tip to smudge or a pencil brush. Once they set they will not move. 

Third on Urban Decay eye shadow primer! ELF's is pretty good too, you just run out quickly. 

I could never find an eyeliner pencil I liked, but finally found one a month ago. Maybelline's retractable "Unstoppable" pencil is really great. And I have the shakiest hand ever. 

I'm another fan of Urban Decay's eye shadow primer, as it works with everything and eye shadow and liner stay in place until I remove it.

I'm currently using the Wet N' Wild Take on the Day Primer. I used to use the UD primer too, and I love it! But I honestly like this one a bit more. It's a billion times cheaper and works just as well in my opinion, which is ridiculous considering the price. I have blepharitis though, so my eyelids are especially oily, which is probably why I still have trouble with eyeliners. It's also why I always use shadow primer though. It sounds ridiculous but it keeps the oil on my lids from going into my eyes and burning them. Or maybe it keeps my eyelids from producing oil? I can't believe I just wrote that out. That's so gross oh my god.... Anyway, I usually wear shadow primer even when I'm not wearing other eye makeup. 

I've stopped wearing eye makeup and especially mascara as much since I got the blepharitis diagnosis, and I basically just use eyeliner in place of mascara now, to define my eyes. It's easier to take off and it doesn't irritate my eyes. 

Thanks for all the liner suggestions! I'm really excited to try these out!

18 hours ago, Escapefromfundiedom said:

Makeup Forever makes really long wearing eye liner. You can get it at sephora. My current favorite brand for literally all makeup and skin are is Pacifica. I have sensitive skin and also prefer to keep things more natural. I've been using their eyeliner pencil for about 9 months and love it.

I've heard a lot of people talking about Pacifica recently. I've never tried anything by them somehow! I need to check out their liner. 

@Ofglen, I've had blepharitis too. had it on and off for several years.  I've pretty much stopped wearing eye make-up because if it.   Hoping I can add it back for special occasions if I do a good job at removing it.

2 hours ago, VGL said:

@Ofglen, I've had blepharitis too. had it on and off for several years.  I've pretty much stopped wearing eye make-up because if it.   Hoping I can add it back for special occasions if I do a good job at removing it.

My ophthalmologist told me that blepharitis never goes away, it can just flare up. Did yours tell you something different? I only got the Dx last summer, so I'm still learning. It doesn't feel like mine has ever completely gone away, but I've definitely figured out how to keep it under control better. I've had to stop wearing contacts because of it, which bothers me, because I used to be a daily contact wearer. :( 

I haven't completely stopped wearing eye makeup, but I do wear it less frequently, and I don't wear mascara anymore. It just irritates my eyes too much.

By the way, what do you use to clean your eyes? My doc suggested Johnson's baby shampoo, but I found it too drying around my eyes. I switched to Ocusoft wipes, and those had too much exfoliating power for the sensitive skin around my eyes and were teeny tiny, and so just recently I've switched to Flents, which are pretty much perfect so far. http://www.amazon.com/Flents-Personal-Eyelid-Cleansing-Count/dp/B002SV3GDC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1454389957&sr=8-6&keywords=eye+wipes

Sorry for thread drift! 

My doctor didn't really say anything about it not really going away.  I will ask her at my next appointment.

I used baby shampoo for awhile.  My doctor told me to use q-tips and warm water to scrub the base of the eyelashes.

Right now I'm using a facecloth in the shower.

I have been alternating between various oils and using Boots Organics All Bright makeup remover.

Sweet almond oil (and extra virgin coconut oil, ever the panacea) work quite well.

The trick is being able to wipe it away. I'll have traces of black whatever underneath my eyes until I finish washing the rest of my face in the bath/shower half the time.

But I might try baby shampoo next, lol!

I feel like I've met my soulmates in this thread! I had a flare up of blephartis a few years ago, as well. I used Johnson's baby soap for a long time to remove my makeup. I've just come to realize that I just have to be careful about what products I use, specifically eye liner and mascara. I didn't know that it never goes away but I haven't had issues in quite a while. Now I use jojoba oil and a cotton ball to remove eye make up and it works great. Very gentle, too. 

I also like UD's eyelid primer but I still have problems with make up staying. I've given up on eyeliner and just use a wet brush and eye shadow for work days. I'll use a liquid liner when I go out but even then, it ends up on my lids. My skin isn't particularly oily (I imagine the jojoba oil probably makes my lids a little oilier), but I would KILL to find an eyeliner that doesn't end up in my eye creases and a mascara that's not always under my eyes.  

Love this sub-forum - I'm really behind with anything make-up related (official reason: I have better things to do with my time, real reason: I don't think I'm pretty), and would like to up my game a little.

I wear hard contacts, have dry skin, dry eyes and live in a very cold, dry climate. I have fair skin that starts to show some age signs, and blue eyes that are on the small side. I love how eye-liners look, but haven't got the faintest clue on where to begin with a product that doesn't irritate my eyes and skin and is hard-contact friendly (pro tip: if any speck of dirt gets between a hard contact and a not-so-hard cornea, it feels just like being stabbed in the eyeball with a skewer). 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

@AuntCloud use a pencil rather than liquid eyeliner. Do not apply to the water line, but instead just at or below the lashes. This will cause the eyes to appear larger also, and be sure to use a quality eyeliner such as Urban Decay 24/7 liner. To further help it stay in place, their primer can be spread below the eye as well, which will help it stay in place even better.

Oh wow, thanks @Stoned Fundie! Please realize I googled "water line" for the first time ever last week, so I'm out of my depth here.

I promise not to scrimp on good eye liner. Luckily Sephora carries them and there's one about 5 minutes from my office. I've never used primer before (my bathroom walls don't count). *excited* I promise to report back. 

Archived