IGNORED

Anderson Cooper is... Gay...

Buzzard

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really news. Everyone knew.

I always thought he kept it on the down-low because when he was in an intolerant country working, he wouldn't be executed. I'm talking about America of course. ;)

Well, duh. But good for him for saying so publicly. It's disappointing to me, because he so handsome. He's kind of my old guy crush. And he's a Casper American which is great.

He is only 7 yrs older than me. :shhh:

My mother will never watch CNN again :roll:

Gloria just wrote a tell all book about her lovers. Anderson was interviewed about it and said TMI.

I was fortunate enough to meet him in New Orleans. He is even more beautiful in real life than on television. His eyes are piercing and perfect.

I remember when I told my mom he was gay a few years ago after she asked if he was married. She almost fainted. Not because she's homophobic, but I think she really thought that maybe one day I could meet him and he could become her son-in-law. Or maybe she thought she had a chance? She and my dad have bowed to him since his Katrina coverage and she thinks he is the greatest thing because he acts exactly how good Christians should act (even if he might not be a Christian).

I have mixed feelings about this. It bothers me that straight is still assumed until someone officially announces otherwise. I never came out as straight, and he shouldn't have to come out as gay. It also shouldn't matter for him to do his job.

On the other hand, those things shouldn't matter but they do, and his coming out might give courage or support to other gay people who do actually feel the need to hide it.

I feel the same way, Bananacat. I hope that some time in our lifetime it won't matter anymore, you know? A person can dream.

I had thought that we welcomed Anderson in as a Patron Saint, but it doesnt seem to be official.

Our Patron Saint of Free Jinger is St. Alan Rickman

Our Patron Saint of Intelligent, Educated Women is St. Rachel Maddow.

I propose that Anderson become the FJ Patron Saint of children - including those oppressed by fundies and ebil natural disasters.

I think it is wonderful that society is changing such that people feel more comfortable being openly nonheteronormative.

Although, when my husband told me the news, I spent several minutes arguing with him that it wasn't new and that AC had been out for ages.

I can't wait to go to work and tell my co-worker. I've been saying this for years and she just refuses to believe me :lol:

From what I can tell, he's wasn't exactly IN the closet before....he just lived his life and didn't make public statements about his private life. It wasn't a secret that he was gay. This was just the first time that he purposely made a public statement that he was.

I figure, on the surprise scale, it ranks somewhere below Ricky Martin announcing he was gay, after he had already fathered twins with a surrogate. Or, as a friend put it, "in other news, there are 7 days in a week".

Now, let's see if I can finally figure out how to post a YouTube video:

/pbEKX828Z2A

ETA: I give up. Here's the link to his last giggle fit:

6423242697_b9e120246f.jpg

Man, seeing that picture give me chills. For anyone that hasn't seen the video, I feel like I have to share it anytime Anderson's name comes up, he's a true hero - (don't click if you're squeamish about blood) -

1j5_2B0TR1U

I always had a picture in my head of Anderson Cooper with a nice wife and kids. I was surprised that he turned out to be gay, but does it really matter to me? No. Just because a picture is shattered in my head doesn't mean it's bad. It just means I'll now have to form a picture in my head of him with a nice husband and kids, and that's just as great and sweet as well. Can't wait to see how his dating life will go. Hope he finds a good guy to be with.

As for the video of him saving that boy in Haiti....awww! Definitely deserves to find a good guy to be with!

I can only imagine Dougie and crew watching that video, imagining themselves as AC and creaming their pants at the idea of actually doing something brave.

I can only imagine Dougie and crew watching that video, imagining themselves as AC and creaming their pants at the idea of actually doing something brave.
But they aren't that brave and they won't ever do something like that. And more infuriating, Dougie and crew will keep insisting that gay men and women are the downfall of society. They will watch that video and then keep insisting that The Gays Are Evil!!

Ok, I need to stop. I'm really annoyed now (again).

From what I can tell, he's wasn't exactly IN the closet before....he just lived his life and didn't make public statements about his private life. It wasn't a secret that he was gay. This was just the first time that he purposely made a public statement that he was.

I think that sums it up. He has been with his partner for awhile now. It was reported that when he bought his last house that they bought it together or he bought it for them. There has also been pictures of the two of them out and about and the other gentleman was identified as his boyfriend. Anderson never confirmed or denied his sexual orientation really, but he hasn't really spoken much about his private life in general. I've heard him talk about his brother's suicide and how the media's response ot it taught him how not to do it; how he went to Burma to make his own news videos about what was going on there because no one was paying attention to it and to get credibility as a journalist because no one took him serious because of who his family was. Other than that he has kept his private life private.

I'm happy that he came out. I can't get too fussed about the idea of "coming out" as gay being something that people feel they need to do, or that hetero is something that is assumed, because I would imagine that most of the population identifies as predominately heterosexual. Whether you view it as deviant or not, it's still a minority. Anyway, I'm glad that he doesn't feel like he needs to keep it under wraps anymore. Yay Anderson!

Congrats, AC! Even if your sexual orientation were common knowledge, coming out publicly is a great thing. Maybe one day it will not be needed, but it helps now. The homophobes like to downplay how many queer people there are, but every public coming out is one more nail in the coffin of homophobia.

I get the feeling that maybe Anderson decide to officially come out, because maybe he and his partner Benjamin want to start a family. I predict they will married in NY within a year and then a few years they will adopt or have kids via surrogacy. Anderson has talked about wanting kids in the past.

I had thought that we welcomed Anderson in as a Patron Saint, but it doesnt seem to be official.

I propose that Anderson become the FJ Patron Saint of children - including those oppressed by fundies and ebil natural disasters.

PLEASE!!! From your keyboard to Alecto's ears! I'm so happy he's come out publicly, because nobody should have to live in a closet, even a teeny bit. Also, JUST LOVE HIM and now I love him more.

Congrats, AC! Even if your sexual orientation were common knowledge, coming out publicly is a great thing. Maybe one day it will not be needed, but it helps now. The homophobes like to downplay how many queer people there are, but every public coming out is one more nail in the coffin of homophobia.

Well said. :clap: We need this right now.

Or, as the fundies think, we're building a gay army. By the way, we meet on Fridays. Rainbow cookies, kool aid, and manifestos for all. Also, we do disco night twice monthly on Saturdays. Come one, come all!

Well said. :clap: We need this right now.

Or, as the fundies think, we're building a gay army. By the way, we meet on Fridays. Rainbow cookies, kool aid, and manifestos for all. Also, we do disco night twice monthly on Saturdays. Come one, come all!

Cookies and disco night? I am so there.

And though mah boo's homosexuality is hardly a secret, I am so glad Anderson officially came out. I just love him so much, and I want the best for him. He's good people!

I have loved AC and his guts and hutzpah for a long time; what a guy. (And I've known he was gay since about the time I started to swoon for him when he was covering Katrina. I was crushed, I tell you, crushed.) He's Gloria Vanderbilt's kid and because of that could probably be a lazy daisy trust fund kid, sitting on his arse and doing nothing but spending Mommy's money. Instead, not only does he make his own way in the world, but he does it by doing... that. No spoiled rich kid, there. Kudos to him for coming out and being a role model for the poor kids who're being bullied and told every day (often by their own PARENTS) that who they are is wrong.

I have loved AC and his guts and hutzpah for a long time; what a guy. (And I've known he was gay since about the time I started to swoon for him when he was covering Katrina. I was crushed, I tell you, crushed.) He's Gloria Vanderbilt's kid and because of that could probably be a lazy daisy trust fund kid, sitting on his arse and doing nothing but spending Mommy's money. Instead, not only does he make his own way in the world, but he does it by doing... that. No spoiled rich kid, there. Kudos to him for coming out and being a role model for the poor kids who're being bullied and told every day (often by their own PARENTS) that who they are is wrong.

I'm afraid well-connected and privileged people like Anderson Cooper and Stella McCartney are a thing of the past. Yes, they had it much easier to make it in their chosen professions (journalism and fashion design) but they actually had to pay their dues. Now some little brat (oh hi there, Bristol Palin) just gets things handed to her or him without putting in the work, effort or getting an education.

Hey, I like Chelsea Clinton and Jenna Bush Hager, but are they truly the best TV journalism can offer? More likely they got their gigs with NBC based on their last names, and some talented young person with the education, skills and experience got the shaft, and is now saying "Do you want fries with that?"

I'm afraid well-connected and privileged people like Anderson Cooper and Stella McCartney are a thing of the past. Yes, they had it much easier to make it in their chosen professions (journalism and fashion design) but they actually had to pay their dues. Now some little brat (oh hi there, Bristol Palin) just gets things handed to her or him without putting in the work, effort or getting an education.

Hey, I like Chelsea Clinton and Jenna Bush Hager, but are they truly the best TV journalism can offer? More likely they got their gigs with NBC based on their last names, and some talented young person with the education, skills and experience got the shaft, and is now saying "Do you want fries with that?"

I actually think Chelsea has the potential to have some real chops. Maybe she's had things handed to her (Dad was Prez, after all), but she's also worked hard and gotten a good education (hear that, Bristol?), and has the potential to really be someone on her own. I just remember her being this quiet stability during ol' Bill's bad boy uproar, impeachment, all that. She was really young at the time, too, and I don't know many girls who could have simply kept it all together, maybe helped Mom and Dad keep it together too, and in the public eye, no less. She did. I don't know enough about Jenna these days to know what she's like, and Bristol... well, spoiled rotten brat gets knocked up and rides Mom's (dubiously acquired) coattails for all they're worth. That'll peter out soon enough. No substance, and no long term success deserved. IMO.

Archived