IGNORED

Nun: Jesus ‘spent more time with poor people than anybody'

dawn9476

• 3 weeks later...
That was easy to do in Jesus' time because most everyone was poor. I am so glad I live in this time than that time!

You must live a very sheltered life or choose not to see them. I see the poor people all around me. Some have mental health problems. Others, are just going through a hard time.

I hope by donating to shelters and volunteering at them.

You must live a very sheltered life or choose not to see them. I see the poor people all around me. Some have mental health problems. Others, are just going through a hard time.

I hope by donating to shelters and volunteering at them.

This. It's just as easy to spend most of your time with the poor these days as it was in Jesus' time. And they need just as much help, if not more.

I always find it confounding when people who thump The Bible and sprout the good book, trying to tell others to be more Jesus-like, are often so Un-Jesus like themselves and filled with such hatred and bigotry for their fellow-man.

I believe there is a quote that says something like, I haven't got a problem with Jesus or his teachings, but its his fanclub I can't stand! Pretty much sums it up for me!

and would just like to add this if I may too which actually gave one of my religious friend pause for thought (for about 1 minute);

jesus-did-i-stutter.jpg

I always find it confounding when people who thump The Bible and sprout the good book, trying to tell others to be more Jesus-like, are often so Un-Jesus like themselves and filled with such hatred and bigotry for their fellow-man.

I believe there is a quote that says something like, I haven't got a problem with Jesus or his teachings, but its his fanclub I can't stand! Pretty much suns it up for me!

and would just like to add this if I may too which actually gave one of my religious friend pause for thought (for about 1 minute);

jesus-did-i-stutter.jpg

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Concidentally, I was at a Tom Chapin concert yesterday at the Guthrie Center (the original "Alice's Restaurant" church/house). Tom continues to support his late brother Harry's foundation, World Hunger Year, now known as WhyHunger.

Thanks for the reminder that it's time to send the foodbank check again.

Hey you, fundies? Perk up, listen and learn. That means YOU Doug Phillips (Is a tool), BRADRICK!, Botkin sisters, Stevie Maxwell, Jim Boob And Juterus, etc. Jesus was interested in loving and helping people, not judging them.

That was easy to do in Jesus' time because most everyone was poor. I am so glad I live in this time than that time!

What perfect alternate universe are you living in?

• 2 weeks later...

What perfect alternate universe are you living in?

I live in the universe where I live a better life than a Roman emperor did 2,000 years ago. I am not rich by today's standards but I am wealthy in so many ways compared to the kings of 2,000 years ago and I am very thankful for that. We do have poor people anymore but if Jesus were around now he would ask a lot of people what they are complaining about? I hear people say they are poor and they have cars, too much food, heat in the winter, and health care when they need it and they are so better off than a king from long ago. I know a family from Belarus and they all laugh at what Americans think is poor because they lived it and I hear them talk and can not imagine what they must have had to go through.

I live in the universe where I live a better life than a Roman emperor did 2,000 years ago. I am not rich by today's standards but I am wealthy in so many ways compared to the kings of 2,000 years ago and I am very thankful for that. We do have poor people anymore but if Jesus were around now he would ask a lot of people what they are complaining about? I hear people say they are poor and they have cars, too much food, heat in the winter, and health care when they need it and they are so better off than a king from long ago. I know a family from Belarus and they all laugh at what Americans think is poor because they lived it and I hear them talk and can not imagine what they must have had to go through.

Oooh I'm gonna pull out the popcorn for this one. Y'all have fun ;)

Before I return to work, I just want to add:

1) As long as there are people living on the street, especially children, it is a Christian's duty to still help the poor. And yes, there are still a lot of people and children on the streets. And not all of them are crazy and deserve help.

2) If you believe the Bible to be the Living Word of God, Jesus' words should not change. If he says, "Help the poor," he didn't mean "help the poor, unless 2000 years from now when the standard of living is much better, then forget the poor." Nope, he didn't say that.

3) EVEN if the poor's standard of living is not qualifying to your standards, just walk down south to good ol' Mexico. Doesn't take long to see that the poor do indeed still exist. Ohh! We still have Guatemala, all of Africa, most Asian countries, Russia, AND [fill in the blank].

Okay, back to work for me... :whistle:

Also, while your standard of living is obviously pretty nice, the fact is that there are more poor people today than in Jesus' time, just by simple population growth numbers. 1 billion people on the planet today live in dire poverty, meaning food insecurity and housing insecurity, unable to meet their or their family's basic needs.

And the fact that you and I live the way that we do, with a gluttonous, wasteful existence, makes it all the more galling and, dare I say, sinful, that more than 1/6th of the world's children do not have enough to eat.

Are you for real? I have a great idea. Go to a homeless shelter, and talk to the people there. Go talk to some seniors who have to decide whether to buy their medications or food.

And don't even get me started on health care. Because that is bull-shit. We don't have health care when we need it unless we have insurance. I agree with the previous poster who asked, what the hell AU are you living in?

I have worked with poor people. Take off your blinders, and your rose colored glasses and open your freaking eyes. YOu might actually learn something.

Thanks, next time I need some gibberish I'll know who to call!

I thought MeganC is the one in a poly relationship who also attends a church than runs a "womens shelter" that seems to funnel younger women seeking help into poly relationships with church members? Her posts are quite interesting, she seems to have a unique perspective on a host of topics.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10891&p=330133#p330133

I'll be sure to tell the guy who sleeps in our local park curled up in a blanket, tucked up against a retaining wall to stay out of the wind that he's much better off than a king 2000 years ago and shouldn't consider himself poor.

Are you kidding me? Try reading Jonathan Kozol's "Amazing Grace: The Lives of Children and the Conscience of a Nation". While it's a few years old at this point, I remember clearly his vivid descriptions of immense urban poverty in this day and age. It's horrifying and sad. And Kozol's talking about children in the USA, not even scratching the surface of global poverty and living conditions.

Oh MeganC, you're a cutie pie, I tell you what! Bless your heart!

:lol: :lol:

OH my, coffee, meet laptop. THAT is a fantastic start to my day!

There were plenty of rich people in Jesus' time too.

Anyway, as a Christian, I do find this whole topic very convicting. It is too easy to get so absorbed in day to day survival and allow oneself to forget that one day I believe Jesus will be asking me what I did to show love to those in need. Gulp.

(And "did I stutter"? Hilarious!)

Weather MeganC is correct or not it does not change the message. This is what bothers me so much about these fundies. They care more about modesty than helping those in need. If they do help the poor it's in some big public way like going to a mission trip so everyone can tell them how great they are.

I see MeganC is back. I was hoping she was gone for good when she disappeared earlier. Well, somebody get out the rug shampoo.

Archived