IGNORED

Town fines people $20 for swearing in public.

tabitha2

It's unenforceable.

If the folks in that town wanted to pull that law off the books by demonstrating just how stupid it is, they could get a large group of them together, go downtown, and have a chant-fest.

For a minute I thought that town was in Utah, as Mormons would love to have such a law passed.

I just told my husband about this. His response was 'fucking hell'. Don't think we'll be moving to that town.

Haha they did something similar in a UK town for a while, it was totally unenforcable.

I should think they'll eventually have some legal trouble since the citing will be at the discretion of LE. It's not like the appropriated Carlin's list. Free speech will eventually over ride the towns need to hand out $20 tickets.

I just told my husband about this. His response was 'fucking hell'. Don't think we'll be moving to that town.

You're husband's awesome! ;) By the way, is FJ slow today or is it just me?

Bloody hell, what a bunch of fucking wankers.

I wonder if they'd recognize "bloody" and "wankers" as swear words? They're pretty mild, but certainly on the rude side! Thanks to a former Aussie coworker I have incorporated "bloody" into my vocabulary though "wanker" just doesn't sound right with an American accent.

":1jyus9x0]It's unenforceable.

If the folks in that town wanted to pull that law off the books by demonstrating just how stupid it is, they could get a large group of them together, go downtown, and have a chant-fest.

Most of the protests I go to are exactly that.

I'm usually all for manners, but freedom of speech overrides those, so fuck that noise.

Bloody hell, what a bunch of fucking wankers.

I wonder if they'd recognize "bloody" and "wankers" as swear words? They're pretty mild, but certainly on the rude side! Thanks to a former Aussie coworker I have incorporated "bloody" into my vocabulary though "wanker" just doesn't sound right with an American accent.

Bloody may even be blasphemy :shock:

to crack down on loud, profanity-laden language used by teens and other young people in the downtown area and public parks.

Nothing like a bit of ageism to promote your cause :roll:

Sure, most of the people I've noticed swearing loudly and at strangers (like the kid who called me a wanker on the bus) are teens or young adults, but it's still ageist to attribute all such behaviour to young people.

It's a fucking stupid fine.

I think bloody is a corruption of the mediaval phrase by-our-lady and thus counts as an oath, (like by the rood, or by the cross) so not a swear word

tho you might get slapped by the chap in the other thread for blasphemy if hes of a more catholic bent

and I know someone has to mention George Carlin so here

[link=]http://www.hotlyrics.net/lyrics/G/George_Carlin/The_History_And_Many_Uses_Of_The_Word_Fuck.html[/link]

Oh, I didn't know where it came from. She certainly used it like a swear word. :)

I'm 36 and can swear it up in their public parks if they'd like. Shit.

Archived