IGNORED

Priest On Nun Crackdown: 'Vatican Is Hypocritical"

doggie

Great letter. What's the line on when, and not if, he gets officially reprimanded for this?

Someone in the comments called it 'apparently a public resignation letter.' That's about right. I can't imagine he'll be allowed to carry on after this. A shame. The Catholic Church is in dire need of people who tell it like it is.

In other news: nuns like these are awesome! Hope the priest doesn't get fired from his position; because it would show what has always been known: the Vatican is a hypocritical organization. They old fuddy-duddy men should be looking at themselves; not at others to blame for their members' corruption. Maybe it's themselves who're corrupted; le gasp!

I think we're going to see a new Catholic church break off from the Vatican.

I rather see the Vatican break off from all catholic churches. way to much death and poverty caused by it.

I rather see the Vatican break off from all catholic churches. way to much death and poverty caused by it.

QFT because you're awesome like that. I wish we have a cake icon so I could give 1 to you. Or do we have 1 already that I don't know about? ;)

I have worked with a number of Nuns, not Catholic, I have found all them to be the most interesting and educated group of women. Interesting story-I worked at a Catholic Hospital in the ER, the ER was run by a Nun who happen to be an MD. One night she invited me and couple of the other new nurses, residents and Doc to a poker party. Being new and wanting to be part of the team I said "YES". Couple days later one of the old timers asked if I was going to Sister XXX poker party, said "YES" she just laughed and told me to bring a lot of change. I went, there were 4 nuns and 6 other people. Nun's cleaned our clock. I continued to go even through I lost money because they were so interesting. A couple of years ago I had family medical issue, the person who gave my husband and I the strength to get through it was the Sister. She did not care that we weere Jewish, all she cared about was our well being and well being of our son. I hold Nun's in the highest regards, they are the people who have made things happen.

I also know personally the Nun that was ex-communicated three years ago, she has to be one of the most caring and wonderful person known to man. I told someone if I could only have half of her compassion, I would be a better person.

This whole thing is the Vatican version of the war against women

I really wish American Catholics would finally leave th church en masse. Let's face it...the average American Catholic has premarital sex, uses birth control, vote liberal and a good portion support abortion choice as well as gay marriage. Perhaps Elle is onto something where we might see a break within the Church, or in the very least flocks moving to Anglican denominations (ie Catholic Lite).

I really wish American Catholics would finally leave th church en masse. Let's face it...the average American Catholic has premarital sex, uses birth control, vote liberal and a good portion support abortion choice as well as gay marriage. Perhaps Elle is onto something where we might see a break within the Church, or in the very least flocks moving to Anglican denominations (ie Catholic Lite).

That's what I tell my boyfriend: "You could go Episcopalian. You know, "Catholic Lite. All the ritual, half the guilt." He does not appreciate it.

When we were growing up, several Catholic sisters lived across the street from us. They were the principal and several teachers at the local Catholic girls' high school. I never saw any of them in a habit. They had a dog, they had parties with friends (well, typical parties for women in their late 40s and 50s!), one of the sisters was a whiz on the grill and another was a wine aficionado. They were great ladies. There are male religious who are wonderful people, too. I've had personal experiences with one or two priests/friars who were really sensible and thoughtful men.

Virtually every Catholic who I know IRL uses artificial contraception and doesn't even think of religious implications; the reasonable priests recognize that the birth control boat has long since sailed. They're celibate men who have never personally experienced the pressures of raising a family. Your average priest has never had to worry about how he'll afford the next baby because his wife will have to quit her job, all while layoffs are happening at work and the parochial school tuition for the oldest is coming due.

For kicks, read the Catholic Answers forums now and then. If a married couple with kids dares to admit to using condoms in conjunction with NFP because they can't afford another baby, they're excoriated for not trusting God enough. If the husband has had a vasectomy - even before becoming a Catholic - he's encouraged to have it reversed. If an unmarried celibate woman says she uses the Pill to help with painful periods, she's told that the Pill is evil and is just masking the problem and that she needs to find a good pro-life OBGYN who won't use "abortifacient" drugs in a woman who isn't having sex to begin with. And if a woman dares to say that she finds it emotionally challenging to use NFP and be unable to have sex with her husband for half of the month, she's shamed and told that perhaps that means she should stop using NFP with a "contraceptive mentality" and just have another baby! These people are so rabidly anti-contraception that it's a little frightening to read. Many of them would be perfectly happy to outlaw birth control use for all of us and are utterly fixated on birth control as a major cause of society's ills.

That's what I tell my boyfriend: "You could go Episcopalian. You know, "Catholic Lite. All the ritual, half the guilt." He does not appreciate it.

Yes there is much aversion to the "proddies" eh? I think sometimes that is the big reason that keeps US Catholics from going to the Anglican churches. I know within the Irish American community there is a lot of suspicion of Protestant denominations going back to when Britain ruled Ireland and there was a lot of discrimination against Irish Catholics.

It is really sad that the Vatican is going after the very people who do all the work for their causes while they just sit on their high horse and count the money.

It is really sad that the Vatican is going after the very people who do all the work for their causes while they just sit on their high horse and count the money.

Can't let their wimminfolk get too uppity and make decisions on how they spend their time and resources. Christ this is the last bastion of the Catholic Church that has any dignity, and the patriarchial asshats in Rome shit all over them. Look boys, you have enough problems in your own fold to worry about...don't think you can distract everyone by picking on women who actually do good works in their communities.

Fuck the pope, cardinals, archbishops and bishops who support this shit.

I think we're going to see a new Catholic church break off from the Vatican.

There is already a "broken away" Catholic church that split from the main church after Vaticanum I. (when the infallibility of the pope was declared, they said they couldn't follow that dogma).

I think you find them mostly in the German speaking countries, they are known as "Altkatholiken (Old Catholics): No mandatory celibacy for priests, women priests, remarriage of divorced people is allowed.

I think many people would like the "normal" Catholic church adopt those things.

Btw, most nuns I know, and I know quite a lot of them, are really independent, strong personalities and have progressive views they keep to themselves, because they want to be nuns.

Btw, most nuns I know, and I know quite a lot of them, are really independent, strong personalities and have progressive views they keep to themselves, because they want to be nuns.

Of course they do because they are on the front lines. They work every day with the the people that the Vatican and conservative catholics label the "enemy." They know first hand how poor women really stuggle with the choice to terminate their pregnancy. They see first hand how important having access to birth control is to a poor woman and how having another kid will just send her family further into poverty.

There is already a "broken away" Catholic church that split from the main church after Vaticanum I. (when the infallibility of the pope was declared, they said they couldn't follow that dogma).

I think you find them mostly in the German speaking countries, they are known as "Altkatholiken (Old Catholics): No mandatory celibacy for priests, women priests, remarriage of divorced people is allowed.

I think many people would like the "normal" Catholic church adopt those things.

The "Old Catholic" Church, among the things already mentioned, also does blessings for same-sex unions. They don't recognize same-sex unions as marriages, so there's no sacrament involved, but it's a step up from the RCC, in my books.

Archived