IGNORED

Mayim Bialik

Wolfie

Is that maybe because, oh, I dunno, those vaccines hadn't been developed yet??!! My parents weren't vaccinated against polio as children, because that vaccine wasn't available until 1962. Even though I had asthma, I wasn't vaccinated against the flu until I was an adult because the vaccine wasn't routinely available until then.

QFT. I'd like to have avoided getting chicken pox, and possibly later in life shingles, but the vaccine didn't exist when I was 7 and contracted the disease!

The part about the flu vaccine is just plain weird. Why do some people think there's nobility in suffering for things easily prevented. I'd like a world where the flu, and every other contagious disease, has been eliminated, thank you very much.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She was a girl named Blossom in a TV show by the same name. DD loved the show.

I loved her in Blossom (and in the movie Beaches). And then she sort of dropped on the face of the Earth until I came across a tidbit of her having a PhD in Neuroscience. Smart girl. She's a good writer. I'm a little surprised that she still acts and have not seen her current show. Not sure how she keeps all the balls in the air, but something she said on her blog makes it sound like she's not swimming in money.

I think she's pretty interesting. I agree with her on a lot of things, but I can also see where she had a lot of views in similar with some of the more crunchy fundies (and me, to a degree).

For those who haven't seen it, she was also on "What Not To Wear" a few years ago, which was interesting because she had certain modesty standard she was trying to keep as well - they cut a lot of the talk about them in the episodes, but they were brought up in all of the articles I read about it at the time.

Full episode here:

nSP7SEHmjqg

For the "elimination communication", I wouldn't have a problem if it weren't for some of the things I saw on the documentary that I originally knew Mayim practiced it from. Including people who allowed their children to use the bathroom outdoors and, in one gross example (it may have even been Mayim), someone who was allowing their child to pee in the sink of a grocery store public restroom.

Basically, if someone let's their kid (as opposed to an accident) go to the bathroom somewhere I might sit, walk, or wash my hands- it's not just their perogative anymore.

The 2 moms I know who do it dangle the kid over the toilet- like she kneels down, rests the kids legs on hers, dangles the butt over the toilet and the kid goes. But they've got girls. I'd imagine if it were a boy, just holding and aiming. If they're at home, they use a potty- like the kind you start toilet training a kid with. And the kid wears a diaper, but mom only goes through 2-3 diapers in a day. I considered trying it for girl fetus, simply because the thought of washing 2x the cloth diapers~ my son HAS to wear cloth, YAY eczema, we have a dr's note and EVERYTHING ~ we're not going to bother with disposables if we're already doing it. BUUUUUT then I realized, I'm not that ambitious, and that definitely does NOT fit into my "lazy parent" agenda.

I'm attachment parent by default. I'm too lazy to take out the stroller (or put it in the trunk from the garage) , so I have a sling that I just leave in the car. I'm too lazy to formula feed (OMFG I HATE WASHING DISHES) so I breast fed and co slept because i'm too lazy to get out of bed in the middle of the night. However, its what works for us. Some women- breastfeeding does NOT come easy and formula feeding is a dream compared to the epic struggle that they're facing with breastfeeding. Some parents prefer a crib and I do wish my son had taken to his a bit better because once he became mobile co-sleeping became an epic pain in the ass. But I do vaccinate. Oh hells yes. The ONLY one he hasn't gotten yet that he should is the chicken pox vaccine and he is scheduled to get that one in 2 weeks. (Big family event coming up in just under a week, since its a live vaccine - I don't want a spotty child in family photographs and our dr said "no prob in delaying a week or 2"). I'm sorry, not vaccinating is just... I dont' understand WHY anyone would not do it. Unless you as a parent have a history of reacting to a certain specific vaccine... i just don't understand.

And honestly from what I understand, the whole basis of "attachment parenting" is supposed to be being incredibly attuned to the needs of your individual child. Um, isn't that just called PARENTING!?!? (unless your'e Michael Pearl)

What gets me is so many people I know keep forwarding crap of hers to me "OH YOU DO ATTACHMENT PARENTING ! AND YOU'RE JEWISH SO IS SHEEEEEEEEE".

Two words - split pants.

Very common in a lot of places, until fairly recently the paper diapers have gotten a market foothold.

I had cotton diapers as kid myself, I've done my business outside plenty of times but only as an adult (and if it is #2 I bury it properly thankyewverymuch).

There's a difference between an emergency and a way of life.

Also I think there is a huge difference between the side of the road and in a busy public area. My son just potty trained at a little over two and I've already once had to have him go on the side of the road but I don't think him peeing in some grass is as gross as on a sidewalk where people are going to be walking. Or in a sink, that's really disgusting.

I don't get how someone can be a scientist and be strongly relgious at the same time?

Sometimes it's hard to tell. I've been driving for hours in remote places in the middle of absolute nowhere, finally really needed to go, we pulled to the side of the road in a place with a very narrow road (because it's in the middle of absolute nowhere) and very very grown up weedy overgrowth immediately off of the road, so... I did my thing right there by the road...

...only to have the only other vehicle we've seen for HOURS and HOURS come right up there!

Dammit.

Aside from that though I've read plenty of threads on imamother about if it's okay to have kids pee on trees at the side of public parks, in Israel. I have to admit this makes me wonder, what, does Israel not have public toilets in parks? In Japan they pretty much always do, even if there's not paper at least there's a secluded hole to pee in. Public water spigots too.

I'm continually amazed at the lack of public bathrooms in the US though, too. Far too many places, the only legal place to pee requires you to buy something. Parks near me now (in IL) plenty of them don't have toilets, some of them do but half the time they're locked.

And honestly from what I understand, the whole basis of "attachment parenting" is supposed to be being incredibly attuned to the needs of your individual child. Um, isn't that just called PARENTING!?!? (unless your'e Michael Pearl)

What I never understand is the idea that "attachment parenting" is so awesome and much better for ALL children. I tried co-sleeping with my son but he slept much better with his own space. Isn't allowing your child to do what suits them the best being more attuned to their needs that forcing some philosphy on them?

Interesting tidbit (or not), her husband used to be Mormon. On their first date she told him she could never marry someone who wasn't Jewish. Later on he started the conversion process and he converted before they got married. Also, she's vegan.

I'm totes confused on where it says she *exclusively* breastfed until her child was 3 yo? Breastfeeding a 3 yo is a different beast than exclusive breastfeeding.

I don't get how someone can be a scientist and be strongly relgious at the same time?

I'm not a scientist in a professional sense but I am strongly religious and take a very keen interest in science (and no, not Creation Museum style pseudoscience either). I buy New Scientist magazine. The televised Royal Institute lectures are my favourite secular part of Christmas. I am 100% opposed to the teaching of creationism in schools (I most certainly believe in evolution). For me, a love for science is an expression of my love for God and I see no conflict between my faith and my love of science. It's an extension of the principle of stewardship, personally.

What I never understand is the idea that "attachment parenting" is so awesome and much better for ALL children. I tried co-sleeping with my son but he slept much better with his own space. Isn't allowing your child to do what suits them the best being more attuned to their needs that forcing some philosphy on them?

That's what I understand attachment parenting is SUPPOSED to be you adjusting your parenting according to the needs of your child. But apparently if you dont' cosleep, non vaccinate, breastfeed until the kid is 11, UR DOIN IT WRONG. My toddler loves co-sleeping. Mom and dad? not so much. He's a flipping bed hog. How a 28lb human can take up an entire queen size bed is beyond me but he does it. We had to move him to his own room for mama's sanity, but as soon as my husband leaves for work, I have a curly haired tyrant demanding cuddles. :shock:

But the elimination communication thing does fascinate me, particularly when some friends came home from China with their newly adopted baby and were telling us about the baby outfits. They have a slit opening in the crotch and that is how they go. No diapers except on airplanes and places like that. We weren't sure exactly how that would work outdoors in public though.

There is quite a nice courtyard garden in my block of flats here in China but yes, the flower beds and sometimes the pavements are full of baby/toddler poops. Sometimes more than dog poo, because the dog owners pick up after the fur babies. It is probably worse than most places as there are several prize government schools as well as international schools in the area, so there are more children about than usual.

Used to like Mayim's quirkiness, can't get over the anti-vac stance now. If these people are so damned worried about the number of vaccines why don't they just vaccinate against polio and rubella and fucking serious shit that maims/ kills and leave off the chicken pox/ flu (which I guess she considers a "fun" childhood illness rather than something potentially fatal because most people have had a case with no lasting effects?) Who the hell thinks polio is a fine thing for children to have? Sorry if I shouldn't have brought up vaccination on this thread, I've been away for several days.

There is quite a nice courtyard garden in my block of flats here in China but yes, the flower beds and sometimes the pavements are full of baby/toddler poops. Sometimes more than dog poo, because the dog owners pick up after the fur babies. It is probably worse than most places as there are several prize government schools as well as international schools in the area, so there are more children about than usual.

Used to like Mayim's quirkiness, can't get over the anti-vac stance now. If these people are so damned worried about the number of vaccines why don't they just vaccinate against polio and rubella and fucking serious shit that maims/ kills and leave off the chicken pox/ flu (which I guess she considers a "fun" childhood illness rather than something potentially fatal because most people have had a case with no lasting effects?) Who the hell thinks polio is a fine thing for children to have? Sorry if I shouldn't have brought up vaccination on this thread, I've been away for several days.

Apparently, polio is not serious enough to warrant being vaccinated for. Because you know most cases are "mild" that's what I was told. Excuse me rolling my eyes so far back in my head that I give myself a neckache and a hernia....

The moms I "know" [message board] who EC use Ziploc containers and leave them all over the house. It was a running joke on the cloth diaper board among the ECers about their lost pee containers. So I was so thinking what if they wash them out and send left overs home with people in the pee containers.

I don't find her that weird.

I breastfed my son for longer due to allergies. I did NOT like nursing a toddler and certainly wouldn't have done it if I could have fed him other food. I have met a few LLL moms who don't introduce solids until 12 months or so. I cannot see denying a not allergic 8 month old some banana because of some fear it will "destroy the breastfeeding relationship".

I also read that Mayim doesn't buy her children toys because she doesn't want them to become materialistic. She also sleeps with mattresses on the floor with her children.

I enjoy TBBT and think that Amy (Bialik's character) and Bernadette saved the show pretty much, but I really have to separate my enjoyment of Bialik's character and Bialik herself. It irritates me that someone who has a neuroscience PhD would be so caught up in incredibly anti-science ideas.

Totally agree, especially with The Big Bang Theory. Don't get me wrong, I always loved it, but you could tell it was getting stale. Amy and Bernadette basically own the show now, along with Sheldon of course.

Has anyone actually read her book...I doubt she'd be exclusively bfeeding a 3 y/o as attachment parenting goes along with what kids want/need - and definitely kids are asking for solid food well before this point. I am still bfeeding a child who's almost 3, and I can guarantee you most of her diet is solid food/drink.

I always liked Mayim, but I too agree that she's way out there (a wingnut as someone mentioned). She re-appeared on my radar when she was on What not to wear. I don't think Stacey and Clinton's work had any lasting value.

I can't figure out how she can be simultaneously so smart and on the other hand to believe in certain whackjob philosophies.

I also read that Mayim doesn't buy her children toys because she doesn't want them to become materialistic. She also sleeps with mattresses on the floor with her children.

She was interviewed on Nightline a few weeks ago. She sleeps with the younger son and her husband sleeps with the older one, though it wasn't clear if it was in the same room.

She was interviewed on Nightline a few weeks ago. She sleeps with the younger son and her husband sleeps with the older one, though it wasn't clear if it was in the same room.

No toys, no diapers, breastfeeding at age 3, and sleeping in the same bed with the kids... In a weird way, this makes me think of Steve Maxwell and his extreme control freakery. Mayim's kids can't even eat, sleep, play, or go to the bathroom without Mommy right there. Probably some weird ex-child actor hangup. Maybe Mayim feels she was forced to grow up too soon and so she's keeping her children in a dependent infant state for as long as possible? Whatever the reason, it does not sound like a psychologically healthy way to raise kids. And how can that possibly be good for one's marriage?

Apparently, polio is not serious enough to warrant being vaccinated for. Because you know most cases are "mild" that's what I was told. Excuse me rolling my eyes so far back in my head that I give myself a neckache and a hernia....

'Mild' polio: just a little paralysis, walk it off ya load!

Elimination communication has been around in one way or another for many years. During the 1940's my grandmother used to have my mom and her siblings sit on a little pot after every feeding (she breastfed) and before and after naps. They were all potty trained by the time they were a year old.

I was born in 1963 and my mom did the same for me (she also breastfeed which was not very common then), I was potty trained by the time I was a year old and so were my brothers.

So there is something to be said for it, and I might have tried it had I known more about it when my kids were little.

I like Mayim, I like that she just comes out and states that this is the way they raise their kids if anyone is interested and how she doesn't take a militant stand on whether her way is right or wrong, but just that it is what works for her family. Her boys seems happy and well adjusted.

The truth is that by the time a kid is 20, no on really cares how long they did or didn't breastfeed, when they stopped using a bottle or pacifier, when they stopped sucking their thumb, when they started eating solid food, or when they were potty trained. Hell, they can even get all the vaccines they missed out on as a child if they want.

Hell, they can even get all the vaccines they missed out on as a child if they want.

Unless they're dead from illnesses that could have been prevented by vaccinations, like measles or rubella. But you know, that's a real 'whatever' decision, perfectly analogous to breastfeeding schedule debates. :roll:

Archived