IGNORED

Jessa Duggar's "Parenting" Skills

Buzzard

Yeah, I'd buy the whole "can't remember siblings names" except it was Jessa specifically telling Hannie to say "Yes, ma'am." Jessa kept telling her, "be respectful. Say 'Yes, Ma'am'". It was a power play struggle and that was Jessa's way of exerting the power. I don't know that I blame Jessa though. 18 year olds have no business raising a houseful of children.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What distubed me is that Johanna and Jordyn were sleeping on the floor. Jordyn was up against a pillar. They got to read a story in the beds, why not just let them nap there? And, is it me or is 5 a bit old for napping? If my kid was 5 and didn't want to nap, I wouldn't make her. I don't have any, but by 5 a kid is often in Kidergarten, full day Kidergaten in some areas. I'm not sure if they still do naps but it seems a bit too old.

PSA: As a kindergarten teacher I must say that kids do not get enough sleep

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/how-ma ... gh/AN01487

I've seen five year olds become physically ill from exhaustion after starting school. :cry:

The Duggars do not seem to encourage sibling relationships in any way that I could identify with. With the buddy system and all the age gaps and gender rules... it's naturally complicated. I don't think they want the kids to be close, I think they prefer them as isolated as possible all the time.

I must say that I was annoyed with Boob when he left Jordyn alone in the muddy front yard to go into the house and call Michelle.

And, is it me or is 5 a bit old for napping? If my kid was 5 and didn't want to nap, I wouldn't make her. I don't have any, but by 5 a kid is often in Kidergarten, full day Kidergaten in some areas. I'm not sure if they still do naps but it seems a bit too old.

I'm 26 and I still enjoy naps when I can get them :P I actually took naps until I was 6. I had morning kindergarten so I took a nap with the rest of kids at daycare when I got back from school. I was definitely tired enough and it would have been boring to stay awake anyway with all the older kids at school and all the younger kids sleeping. In first grade I frequently fell asleep on the long bus ride home from school, as did several others my age. But I also babysit a 4 year-old who doesn't like to take naps so I guess every kid is different.

I must say that I was annoyed with Boob when he left Jordyn alone in the muddy front yard to go into the house and call Michelle.

I thought I noticed a J-boy in the background. Not that Boob should have left the poor baby in the mud either way.

I do wonder if the camera guys sometimes involuntarily get involved in some child minding.

It was bad enough that she was wandering around by herself in the mud, but even worse, the child was BAREFOOT. It wasn't midsummer- the grass was still brown, and I think there was even a little bit of snow left on shady parts of the lawn.

I've noticed that the Duggars don't seem to dress for the weather. I've also seen the kids outside in short sleeves in the winter.

I still like naps, too. I sometimes fell asleep in grade 1 in the afternoons (math) because I was used to napping. I was 5 1/2; late December baby...

I wish that FJ could take up a collection and buy princess canopy beds for those three toddler girls, something that would make them feel special.

Did you hear Michelle say that Jessa will run a tighter ship than Michelle ever DID???? Umm, no Michelle, you are still running a ship and you are not done raising your children, so please do not talk about it like it's in the past. That is my advice to Michelle and now to DimBulb. If your child is crying PICK HER UP!!! I wanted to reach through the TV and pick her up for them. Free Jennifer! ETA: Free Jordyn too since she was actually the one crying. Oops, thanks marmalade.

I now have coffee all over my keyboard! DimBulb - I love it!

I think it is a bit of a southern thing, so in that context it might be ok. I have heard mothers calling children "ma'am" as in "No, Ma'am, we don't do that". It sounds weird to non-southerners but after 14 years in the south I am used to it.

HAAA. i'm a carolina girl, displaced to michigan...my kids know i'm serious when they hear the NO MA'AM!

I did say "yes ma'am, yes sir" to my parents, grandparents, and other adults, but i can't imagine doing so to a sibling, even a significantly older one...nor any teenager.

My 4.5 year old naps, and i do remember napping in my kindergarten classroom.

Even when my girls outgrow naps, i can see still having a "quiet hour" in the middle of the day. Momma (er, i mean all of us) needs that down time.

I wish that FJ could take up a collection and buy princess canopy beds for those three toddler girls, something that would make them feel special.

Mark my words. Someone from TLC will see this complaint and there will be an episode all about bed shopping just as a response to us. That's what the series has become now - just a futile attempt to silence all criticism.

Arkansas winters are roller coasters. That 2' of snow got pushed up into piles (you in the north know what I'm talking about) and I remember there were big piles in Wal-Mart parking lot, and I thought one hot day, "That's the end of those piles." It was just a few days later.

As the mom of a kid who didn't wear shoes unless absolutely forced, and then only sandals, I'm not bothered by barefoot kids in cool weather.

I have thought the same thing. Pool together the money to get them beds and rent a small UHAUL and drive up to the house (maybe on a da when we know they are filming muahahaha) and just go in and fix those poor little girls up!

When my boss was two, her older brother taught her to call him Supreme Being :)

Another truly sad thing about the Duggar sibling relationships is in the same breath they argue when you have a large family your siblings are your best friends, yet they set up all this parenting crap.

So, I was watching the new episode of "19 kids and counting" last night and the part where Jessa was talking to Johannah to sleep really bothered me. First off, Jessa is 19 years old and a sister, not a mother. The way she was talking to Johannah was more like in a motherly tone than a sibling would do. Also, Jim Bob was at home with them as well, so how come he wasn't there to talk to Johannah on going to sleep? I'm sorry, but if you're a parent and can't even handle your own child without an older one helping you, it's a sign that you need to stop having children.

I feel like this whole "leave it up to God" is a sham, IMO. These people who follow that belief disregard the fact that the older ones are going to be the ones parenting the younger ones. This whole buddy system is crap too because, as stated, it's all about the older ones being a parent to the younger ones. JB apparently can handle taking care of toddlers but then when you throw in Johannah into the picture, all hands are off and then Jessa has to take care of it. I wonder if Michelle and JB have ever put their younger ones to nap, beside for Josie. It reminds me of that comment that Jessa said in an older episode how taking care of the younger ones is not part of Jim Bob's "jurisdiction". Really? Being a father is not part of your jurisdiction? Since when did it have to be a chore for you to raise your own kids?

No wonder why Jana has seemed so gloomy lately; she's probably tired of being a mother and having to raise her own siblings. It would not surprise me if she has a guy in mind whom she wants to court but can't because "God" (honestly, I believe "God" in the whole courtship/marriage process is the dad deciding) is not ready for her to do that yet.

Any thoughts?

I did say "yes ma'am, yes sir" to my parents, grandparents

:o I really don't want this to come out sounding the wrong way, but I'm really surprised that you called members of your own family sir or ma'am. To me doing that would be incredibly, incredibly formal; in fact it would never have occurred to me in a million years to call my parents or grandparents that! Sir and ma'am (or madam, as it more commonly is over here) are what you call strangers, not members of your own family. Well, strangers and teachers (though female teachers are called Miss not Ma'am or Madam, even if they're married).

Mark my words. Someone from TLC will see this complaint and there will be an episode all about bed shopping just as a response to us. That's what the series has become now - just a futile attempt to silence all criticism.

This.

Just to add, obviously I find the idea of calling siblings sir or ma'am really weird, though I suppose that as Jessa is the SOTDRT teacher she needs to exert some authority with the younger children. I still think she should use some other method of doing so though.

Did anyone else see that there is now a COMPUTER in the girls' room!?!!? I wonder if it has internet! OMG access to the world and not all out in the open!

I now have coffee all over my keyboard! DimBulb - I love it!

I love it too but, alas, I can't take credit for it. That nickname has been floating around for a while now. It may have come from the old board but I seem to remember it from TWoP.

Did anyone else see that there is now a COMPUTER in the girls' room!?!!? I wonder if it has internet! OMG access to the world and not all out in the open!

It's been there for ages. I believe Jana knows the password (or at least that's what Boob said in one episode). Maybe there's hope for her yet.

It's been there for ages. I believe Jana knows the password (or at least that's what Boob said in one episode). Maybe there's hope for her yet.

That is if Jana still has the power of the password. It may have been taken away from her.

My children call me and other adults Ma'am or Sir, but not their own siblings. That's just weird. Your siblings are your peers!

I'm big on respectfulness and good manners. I am an attachment parent and do not spank or really discipline much at all in the traditional sense, but I like being around polite people who respect others, whether they are adults or children. I show my children extreme courtesy and they return it.

I'd hate to think (but know its likely true) that the older girls spank the younger kids. Sad... thats not something siblings should do.

Archived