IGNORED

Personhood USA

dairyfreelife

In trying to look up what exactly the personhood amendments said, I found a site called Personhood USA. The site has petitions for every state for people to sign. I thought I would share what the petition for my state says (bolding mine):

Dear West Virginia Lawmaker:

Every year that goes by, over one million children in the womb are brutally murdered through abortion.

The key to unraveling this tragedy is a simple one and it has been known since before Roe v. Wade.

It is Personhood.

During oral argument of Roe, Chief Justice Warren Burger explained to pro-abortion attorney Sarah Weddington that by declaring “by statute that a fetus is a person for all constitutional purposes†a state could outlaw abortion.

By stripping personhood from the unborn, their right to life was revoked. By returning personhood to the weak and the powerless, we can restore their dignity and right to life as human beings. It really is that simple.

African slaves were denied their personhood and were therefore treated as property, bought, sold, and bred as animals. Jews were not considered full persons, so their property could be confiscated and their people eliminated. When Spanish conquistadors colonized America, many wealthy landowners fought to convince the Spanish crown that non-Christian “indians†were not legal persons and could therefore be enslaved.

Personhood is the key to all human rights.

That is why at the heart of the Roe v. Wade opinion is the following heartless pronouncement, written by Justice Blackmun, “the word ‘person’ ... does not include the unborn.â€

Not once, since 1973, has the Supreme Court been challenged to reconsider Blackmun’s terrible words.

With federal and judicial tyranny at its apex, we the undersigned request that our West Virginia legislators stand up for life in a bold and principled way.

We, the undersigned urge you to support a personhood measure that recognizes that the preborn child is a person with the unalienable right to life.

We, the undersigned expect you to stand up for the values of the people of West Virginia by no longer cowering to a federal and judicial tyranny that mandates the destruction of our morals, our families, and our posterity.

We, the undersigned will hold you accountable for your action or inaction in bringing about and supporting a personhood measure, and we will vote accordingly.

Don't you just love the guilt and emotional language in here. You don't sign this measure and you will be labelled as a horrible person equal to the Nazis, Andrew Jackson's measures, and Slave owners and destroying all morals by allowing "people" to be brutally murdered against their will!

personhoodusa.com (If you click on Join the Movement, there is a map at the bottom that can link you to your state's petition if you want to read it)

And what are women? Walking uteruses? They are so up on their history of slavery, they must understand that before women had the power to self-determine through limiting the number of children they have, women were also treated as property and virtual slaves.

Oh, silly me. I forgot. That is entirely the point of all this.

And what are women? Walking uteruses? They are so up on their history of slavery, they must understand that before women had the power to self-determine through limiting the number of children they have, women were also treated as property and virtual slaves.

Oh, silly me. I forgot. That is entirely the point of all this.

Well some species of animals ended up getting rights against being abused before women and children did..... maybe these person hood people think women should be treated worse than animals again? Which is stupid but I'm finding more and more people in this country lacking brain cells.

In order for their argument to work, they need to show that a fetus has the same complex thought pattern that a person has. The fetus needs to have some recognition of self in order to be considered a person.

In order for their argument to work, they need to show that a fetus has the same complex thought pattern that a person has. The fetus needs to have some recognition of self in order to be considered a person.

Well, newborns and babies don't have an awareness of self, but I consider them people. The difference between unborn and born is independence imo. A newborn is a living, breathing, functioning human being and gets the same status of rights as all humans. A mother can revoke her claim and sign off her rights as a mother and the newborn can be mothered by someone else. Before birth, the fetus is dependent on its mother for survival and only its biological mother. The bill ignores that little fact that without mom their is no baby, but after birth if there is no mom, they can find another mom to care for the infant. (This isn't to say that dad can't take the child, just stating the mom replacement can be done after birth).

Interesting how they reference the time before Roe v Wade without acknowledging that abortions still took place, but were much more dangerous and expensive.

I guess they have to ignore history, because to contemplate that even after a constitutional "personhood" amendment abortions would still take place within the US would make their heads explode.

Well, newborns and babies don't have an awareness of self, but I consider them people. The difference between unborn and born is independence imo. A newborn is a living, breathing, functioning human being and gets the same status of rights as all humans. A mother can revoke her claim and sign off her rights as a mother and the newborn can be mothered by someone else. Before birth, the fetus is dependent on its mother for survival and only its biological mother. The bill ignores that little fact that without mom their is no baby, but after birth if there is no mom, they can find another mom to care for the infant. (This isn't to say that dad can't take the child, just stating the mom replacement can be done after birth).

My argument only works for a fetus. A fetus is a parasite until it can survive outside the womb. If they want to say that a fetus is a person then they need to show that they do have complex brain activity and some level of self awareness. Babies have complex brain activity and may even have some self awareness. They are able to make connections in their brains at a fast rate.

Someone should connect them with Godwin's Law :roll: Abortion is not the Holocaust.

Someone should connect them with Godwin's Law :roll: Abortion is not the Holocaust.

You're saying removing a cluster of cells from a uterus is not the same as executing a family of 12? Harlot! [/sarcasm]

I read another Holocaust survivor story this weekend, so comparing an abortion to the trauma of losing your livelihood, possessions, and eventually family members bugs me more than usual today.

Archived