IGNORED

New Smith video

PBrooke

Ok I had to fast forward through a lot of the capts stroking himself and teaching bible and BS to his kids. And then the wife was as boring as paint drying. But there were some photos of the holiday ball and one of the DDs talking about betrothal and courtship. It was like watching paint drying.

Capt did say something that was curious in the intro, "Something came up so we're going to film a day in our family's life".

Yeah, I'm wondering if it has to do with the "documentary"/reality show that they filmed about courtship. But since it looks like most of this was filmed in fall 2011, that doesn't make sense - they would've had all that courtship filming stuff ironed out by then I'd think.

EDIT: Unless, maybe the courtship doc didn't get picked up, or even if they did, maybe he's trying to get a reality show going for them, so this is to show companies how... awesome they are?

The courtship part was lame, very lame. These fundy film makers really need to take a couple community college classes on the subject, their stuff is junk.

Oh my God, I'm dying laughing at the musical interlude with all the kids playing backup instruments and Bret with the ENTIRE melody, first on trombone and then on trumpet. So. Bad. The kids aren't bad, but the "Bret is the star and he's not even that good" bit is.

More thoughts (as I'm still watching): I see MamaAnt's family is still doing church with the Smiths. Also, good to see Bethany is still taking dance (or at least was when this was filmed) - it was obvious from one of the earliest videos that Bethany in particular took dance (the one with the cheesy choreography) and I always wondered if they allowed that as they got deeper into fundiedom. Now I wonder if the older girls took dance as well - they didn't seem as into it in the early video, and it's always Bethany who's figuring out the dances for the balls, etc.

The more I'm watching the more this seems an obvious "pilot" or commercial for... something. They aren't just stringing together home movies, they're introducing themselves, explaining things.

For contrast in production skills watch that trailer for the courtship doc. Light-years in difference.

EDIT: This must've been filmed all over the place - she says Bb is expecting a baby, when Bb had that baby last... spring? Summer?

Double edit: Oh, I could've sworn the first link I saw said it was in 2011, but I guess it was fall 2010. That makes more sense.

Okay, I just started and this is so odd. I've only seen the trailer and tiny tiny bits of the videos and it's weird to see the kids. I'm used to pictures!

...it's weird to see the kids. I'm used to pictures!

Same here :D

I browsed some other Captain Bret videos on YouTube and he surely is one hell of an annoying fool :roll:

His voice alone is capable of making me jump off the balcony! His smugness... Don't get me started... Jim Bob actually isn't that bad, after all.

Also, this got to be one of the worst videos ever made:

That poor guy... I could hardly watch his "acting" (but I must say I would have probably done even worse job if I had to play with Capt Bret...). Alan wasn't that bad, but his voice was very different from what I had imagined. Same goes for Katie, she sounded like a teenager but she has to be in her mid twenties in this film.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say, I already lost the point :) Probably just that if you thought these people are weird based on the photos you've seen, wait till' you see them live on the film...

Hilarious point: During their Bible study or whatever that is, Bret starts up a video "from the campground meeting about revival in the land." Pretty sure he's referring to a video he made from a meeting back in like 2006 (it might actually be on youtube, but I don't feel like checking). In short, he's putting on a video of HIMSELF blathering on for his kids to "study." Poor Bethany must know that video backwards and forwards by now. Bret really does take the cake for power-tripping patriarchs. I almost hope they DO get a reality show so more people can see this.

Mrs. Cap'n Bret is incredibly attractive and way better spoken than I'd've imagined.

I'm still not clear what the family live on -- what does Bret do for a living, when he isn't keeping bees, leading chuch or playing music?

Anybody else unamused by the women wearing hats (or shawls over their heads) in the parlor during the church service?

"Day in the life" features, books, videos and such are terrifically difficult to do well, in my observation. Sadly, Cap'n Bret didn't do well.

I've been watching bits and pieces of the video (can't bring myself to watch the whole thing 'cause Bret is sooo idiotic it's painful). I just came across a part where Bret's wife (forget her name) says that Bret's mother is married to the Mortons' grandfather! As if all the siblings marrying each other wasn't odd enough, the grandparents are married as well! I assume this is a second marriage for both? Does anyone know more about this?

Yeah, I think they met after the Katie and Alan got married. I think they were both widowed, and they got married around the same time as either Kressant or Rachel, can't remember which (though granted I think they got married within about a year of each other).

Yeah, I think they met after the Katie and Alan got married. I think they were both widowed, and they got married around the same time as either Kressant or Rachel, can't remember which (though granted I think they got married within about a year of each other).

Right before Rachel. Rachel and Wes danced at their wedding. You know, cause holding hands doesnt count if you're moving.

Archived