IGNORED

got to love ben and jerry's

doggie

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268743/conten ... d=CYGnLEDS

Vt.'s Ben & Jerry's issues pro-gay marriage flavor

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) - Vermont-based ice cream maker Ben & Jerry's is supporting gay marriage in Britain by repackaging an apple pie flavor as Apple-y Ever After.

The subsidiary of the global food and cosmetics conglomerate Unilever is issuing the newly labeled ice cream in the United Kingdom, where the government has said it plans to legalize gay marriage and has begun public consultation before introducing legislation.

When Vermont passed such a law two years ago, the ice cream company celebrated by briefly repackaging its Chubby Hubby flavor as Hubby Hubby.

Ben & Jerry's has been involved in progressive political causes since its founding in 1978. The company's spokeswoman Liz Stewart says the genders of married spouses matter less than their love and commitment.

Parent company Unilever PLC's other brands include Lipton tea and Dove soap.

Unilever also owns the brand Axe Body Spray though... boo.

Unilever also owns the brand Axe Body Spray though... boo.

What's wrong with Axe? other than that young men use too much of it (it's tht Brut of the 21st century)

What's wrong with Axe? other than that young men use too much of it (it's tht Brut of the 21st century)

Their advertising is atrocious. It consistently portrays women as stupid sex objects.

And why only in the UK? Be brave, Unilever, and take on the much bigger battle/market/issue in the US!

Their advertising is atrocious. It consistently portrays women as stupid sex objects.

Yep. They know their audience!

...and what a horrifying thing that is, not gonna deny in the slightest!

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here. I have no axe to grind about gay marriage (if asked for an opinion, I would probably say, why not?), however, I prefer my food to come without overt propaganda. Nothing against businesses supporting causes they agree with (and if I don't agree with them using my part of their profits for said cause, I can take my custom elsewhere), of course, but this sort of lobbying just gets my back up.

Good for them. Although I'm guessing it's Oh My! Apple Pie they're renaming and I don't see that flavour many places here anyway.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here. I have no axe to grind about gay marriage (if asked for an opinion, I would probably say, why not?), however, I prefer my food to come without overt propaganda. Nothing against businesses supporting causes they agree with (and if I don't agree with them using my part of their profits for said cause, I can take my custom elsewhere), of course, but this sort of lobbying just gets my back up.

You'd prefer propaganda to be insidious?

Unilever in the US also makes Ragu spaghetti sauce.

I heart B&J and Unilever for their pro-love stance.

Isitjustme, I honestly don't understand why you care, especially if you support gay marriage. Wouldn't you rather know what all companies supported? What if a company was anti-woman and you knew because they were clear in their propaganda? Wouldn't it be good to know so you could boycott them?

And why only in the UK? Be brave, Unilever, and take on the much bigger battle/market/issue in the US!

It says right there in the quoted bit that they nationally switched to "Hubby Hubby" when it was locally relevant a few years back. Since same-sex marriage is a state-by-state issue, they covered it when it was their state. Since it's not something that will be nationally resolved all at once, it'd be silly to switch something around every time a new state makes it official.

I love Ben & Jerry's because of their propoganda! I'm so sick of the right's bullshit in my face all the time, it's about time some progressive companies did the same. Ben & Jerry's is one of the few that uses it's advertising for good.

Besides, Cherry Garcia is gawd's gift to me!

Unilever in the US also makes Ragu spaghetti sauce.

I heart B&J and Unilever for their pro-love stance.

Isitjustme, I honestly don't understand why you care, especially if you support gay marriage. Wouldn't you rather know what all companies supported? What if a company was anti-woman and you knew because they were clear in their propaganda? Wouldn't it be good to know so you could boycott them?

Yes, it is good to know and I certainly would boycott such a company. I think my feeling about this type of propaganda (for want of a better word) is that it's less about the issue and more about the company saying, "Look at us! We're so cool and down with the issues! Buy us!"

As I said, it's not wholly rational. This kind of thing just seems to trigger some innate childishness that wants to shout back, "No! Shan't!"

I think my feeling about this type of propaganda (for want of a better word) is that it's less about the issue and more about the company saying, "Look at us! We're so cool and down with the issues! Buy us!"

Actually it's quite the opposite with Ben & Jerry's. Ben and Jerry are 2 old hippies and believe in what they stand for. It started with them not using hormones in the milk they used for their ice cream. They started stating it on the packages to educate their customers about the kinds of nasty things that are sometimes in their food. Do some research about Ben and Jerry the guys. Several years ago the company ran into financial trouble and they sold the brand to Unilever in order to save it, with specific demands about how the brand would continue to be run ( I believe 1 or both of them is still involved with management as well).

Yes, it is good to know and I certainly would boycott such a company. I think my feeling about this type of propaganda (for want of a better word) is that it's less about the issue and more about the company saying, "Look at us! We're so cool and down with the issues! Buy us!"

As I said, it's not wholly rational. This kind of thing just seems to trigger some innate childishness that wants to shout back, "No! Shan't!"

I guess the difference is that B&J has always done this. They're a couple of old hippies who've always made their tastes plain. They've got Cherry Garcia (for Jerry Garcia), Willie Nelson's Peach Cobbler, Stephen Colbert's Americone Dream, Imagine Whirled Peace, Phish Food, Dave Matthew's Band Magic Brownies, Bonnaroo Buzz, and suggestive ones like Karamel Sutra and Schweddy Balls. These are hardly late-to-the-game hipsters.

Actually it's quite the opposite with Ben & Jerry's. Ben and Jerry are 2 old hippies and believe in what they stand for. It started with them not using hormones in the milk they used for their ice cream. They started stating it on the packages to educate their customers about the kinds of nasty things that are sometimes in their food. Do some research about Ben and Jerry the guys. Several years ago the company ran into financial trouble and they sold the brand to Unilever in order to save it, with specific demands about how the brand would continue to be run ( I believe 1 or both of them is still involved with management as well).

Thank you for that. FWIW, I wholeheartedly endorse any drive to bring us safer and more wholesome food, I just don't want to be preached to on other issues, however worthy the cause.

They're a couple of old hippies who've always made their tastes plain.

Great minds think alike!

I guess the difference is that B&J has always done this. They're a couple of old hippies who've always made their tastes plain. They've got Cherry Garcia (for Jerry Garcia), Willie Nelson's Peach Cobbler, Stephen Colbert's Americone Dream, Imagine Whirled Peace, Phish Food, Dave Matthew's Band Magic Brownies, Bonnaroo Buzz, and suggestive ones like Karamel Sutra and Schweddy Balls. These are hardly late-to-the-game hipsters.

So it's unfortunate that they have pressed this particular button of mine since they are clearly good guys.

Let me reiterate that that this is just a pet peeve of mine and in no way a personal crusade to convert others to my point of view. :)

Dammit I'm still waiting for Schweddy Balls to hit my local supermarket. LOVE me some Alec Baldwin.

There's a pint of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough in my freezer, though.

Just read on Wikipedia that Unilever completely owns Ben & Jerry's and neither founder has had any say in its management since 2000. This has considerably redeemed Unilever in my eyes. It's one thing for l'Oréal to manage The Body Shop in an eco-conscious way after they bought it. It's a whole other thing to publicly take sides in a heated debate.

Dammit I'm still waiting for Schweddy Balls to hit my local supermarket. LOVE me some Alec Baldwin.

There's a pint of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough in my freezer, though.

I think schweddy balls is just a holiday flavor. I had to go to 5 different stores before I found it last x-mas and I bought 3 pints for my trouble. I have Cherry Garcia right now in the freezer. I might have to hit that now,thanks to this topic...

I love everything about B&J's. We went to the factory last summer and that picture is sometimes my avatar.

Because it's something currently happening in the UK? In any case, B&J changed Chubby Hubby to Hubby Hubby when Vermont got equal marriage, so I think if there was a chance of national equal marriage in the US they would do the same.

The worst thing about this is that I can't find the apple pie flavour anywhere in the UK, and it's my favourite anyway! /hates chocolatey ice creams

The worst thing about this is that I can't find the apple pie flavour anywhere in the UK, and it's my favourite anyway! /hates chocolatey ice creams

I've found the little tubs in newsagents. Otherwise, I think Tesco have more variety these days. Sainsburys aren't bad for Ben & Jerry's either.

I've found the little tubs in newsagents. Otherwise, I think Tesco have more variety these days. Sainsburys aren't bad for Ben & Jerry's either.

My nearest Tesco is an entire town away (I live in the middle of nowhere on the Hampshire-Berkshire border lol), but my nearest Sainsburys doesn't seem to have more than the usual range. Curse Phish Food and Cookie Dough!

/Haagen Dazs fan

Archived