IGNORED

Progressive Coloring Book

Soldier of the One

Nice! I've been looking for progressive picture/colouring books for my partner's cousin's daughter. And Tango Makes Three is another one I'd like to find.

That looks cute!

There are other coloring books with LGBT content, but I'm not sure if there are any others tacking gender stereotypes.

That is awesome. I kinda want to buy a copy for myself.

I think if you introduce the LGBT (including trans) subject early and treat it as completely normal (as this book seems to do), there's probably not a need to do a big "LGBT talk" later (of course, there will probably be questions about small details) Kids are awesome at accepting that "Of course Suzy has too daddies. Why wouldn't she?" and "Jenny was born "James" but is a girl on the inside. So what?"

I think if you introduce the LGBT (including trans) subject early and treat it as completely normal (as this book seems to do), there's probably not a need to do a big "LGBT talk" later

And luckily, there are a lot of wonderful LGBT picture books these days! I'm kind of sad we didn't have any when I was little. I didn't even see a copy of Heather Has Two Mommies until I was 14.

That looks really cool, too bad the only one who still enjoys coloring is me or I just might buy this. Maybe I will anyway.

I agree in addressing/introducing GLBT issues early on... as if it is actually normal. Coz it is. And kids are great at accepting that :)

Tango! The true story behind that is sweet! And so like human drama. One of the gay penguins broke it off to be with a female.

"Prince Charming searched high and low for the owner of the glass slipper...to find out where to get a pair in his size."

That's just precious!

"But I think honestly, the more ironic, edgy messages (like Prince Charming) will make some parents uncomfortable; not every parent has had the same-sex marriage or cross-dressing conversation with their kids yet, nor do all parents want to."

See, we're hoping we don't have to have an actual talk because we're trying to raise our child to see these things as the perfectly normal variances among humans that they are.

I'm totally buying this for myself. Also, a friend of mine and her wife just had their first children (twins) and when they're a little bigger, I think this would make a wonderful present!

I agree in addressing/introducing GLBT issues early on... as if it is actually normal. Coz it is. And kids are great at accepting that :)

I have been a little unsure of broaching this with my boys who are 5 and 7. Then the other day I heard the younger one say to his brother "you can't marry another boy, can you?" and before I could get a word in, his brother said "yes you can, that's called gay." He had obviously picked up on this at school, and had accepted it a matter-of-fact, which is great. The little one then slightly missed the point by saying "I want to be gay and marry Daddy" at which point I felt obliged to get involved! :lol:

That is awesome, it's just too bad the subtitle is so long and clunky.

I have been a little unsure of broaching this with my boys who are 5 and 7. Then the other day I heard the younger one say to his brother "you can't marry another boy, can you?" and before I could get a word in, his brother said "yes you can, that's called gay." He had obviously picked up on this at school, and had accepted it a matter-of-fact, which is great. The little one then slightly missed the point by saying "I want to be gay and marry Daddy" at which point I felt obliged to get involved! :lol:

When my friend's little sister was 5 or 6 and going through her "boys are icky" phase, she announced to her family that she was going to marry me because two girls can get married now (it was 2003 in Ontario).

Best. Colouring Book. Ever. I don't think I've ever seen a colouring book with depictions of people in wheelchairs. 20 points.

That is so freakin' adorable. I've heard lots of little boys say they want to marry Mommy and little girls say they want to marry Daddy, but a little boy saying he wants to marry Daddy? Somehow cuter than the previous two combined.

I would love it just for the picture of the cowgirl riding the dinosaur because my daughter has a 2 years running infatuation with anything to do with dinosaurs! Love it! LOL

Archived