IGNORED

Rise Of The Religious Right

debrand

http://www.theocracywatch.org/taking_over.htm

Here are some articles on the rise of religion in the Republican party. Some of the quotes go back to the 1960's. I think that the left has been asleep, not believing that anyone could take the religious right seriously.

In March, 1986, I (Joan Bokaer) was on a speaking tour in Iowa and received a copy of the following memo Robertson had distributed to the Iowa Republican County Caucus:

"How to Participate in a Political Party

Rule the world for God.

Give the impression that you are there to work for the party, not push an ideology.

Hide your strength.

Don't flaunt your Christianity.

Christians need to take leadership positions. Party officers control political parties and so it is very important that mature Christians have a majority of leadership positions whenever possible, God willing."

Why doesn't the left have a movement that is coparable to the rights?

As can be seen from the documentation on this page, one of their tactics was to tie up the meetings for hours until people left. Then they appointed themselves leaders and made key decisions. Once they took over the local leadership throughout the State of Iowa, they could control the state party apparatus. After their success in the Iowa '88 primary, they used the same tactic in several other states -- precinct by precinct.

A book that was very instrumental in helping me recognize the religious right for what it is, how it came to be a political force with which to be reckoned, and was the first step in me walking away from it, was Randall Balmer's Thy Kingdom Come: How the Religious Right Distorts the Faith and Threatens America.

If evangelical Christians pause to look at how the sausage was made, so to speak, I doubt they'd be very proud of it.

http://www.theocracywatch.org/taking_over.htm

Here are some articles on the rise of religion in the Republican party. Some of the quotes go back to the 1960's. I think that the left has been asleep, not believing that anyone could take the religious right seriously.

Why doesn't the left have a movement that is coparable to the rights?

I guess I don't understand the question. Why would "the left" want to create an equivalent to the religious right? The closest thing I could think of would be our fab JFC and her comrades, which is not really a match to left -progressive ideas and organizing. I think the left has a harder time producing lock step "movement" liberals because "the left" is not just some sort of negative image of "the right". Left-progressive politics in the US is a very broad, diverse group which covers environmentalists of all types, most labor unions, LGBT activists, anti war, some atheists, some churches....the list goes on. Unlike the right, which attracts authoritarians and is more comfortable with party discipline and the notion of uniting against the evil "other", people and groups who identify as left of center frequently disagree publicly and will work together only on certain issues. It would somewhat difficult for oneI group to take over the left.

I guess you could argue that the Democratic party has been dominated in recent years by neo liberal free traders, but I would argue that they have bought the party quite openly with no attempt at secrecy.

Also, the left has not been asleep, we have been talking for years about the dismantling of the social safety net, weakened workplace safety laws, companies that destroy the environment, and the attack on women's rights. It has now become so blatant that middle of the road folks are finally starting to notice what the nattering nabobs of negativity have been screaming about.

Also, the left has not been asleep, we have been talking for years about the dismantling of the social safety net, weakened workplace safety laws, companies that destroy the environment, and the attack on women's rights. It has now become so blatant that middle of the road folks are finally starting to notice what the nattering nabobs of negativity have been screaming about.

This. It's just that there's been the attitude that we can't go backwards.

This. It's just that there's been the attitude that we can't go backwards.

The problem of the left is one of diversity. When you have a monoculture like the RR its easy to get everyone behind the bus and push. But when you really do have a big tent of diverse opinions its hard to follow a single leader. The news media doesn't help. The rise of right wing hate radio and tv have been a way to galvanize a bunch of sheeple behind a single talking head spouting the script.

Sharlet, In The Family, writes about the early influence of the RR with Nixon, Bill Gothard was on the scene then.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.†- Sinclair Lewis

I agree that people want to believe that we can't go backwards. And the right has been really successful at convincing the poor and downtrodden that other groups of the poor and downtrodden are to blame for all of their woes. Keep the people fighting amongst themselves and they'll never notice the real villains.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.†- Sinclair Lewis

I agree that people want to believe that we can't go backwards. And the right has been really successful at convincing the poor and downtrodden that other groups of the poor and downtrodden are to blame for all of their woes. Keep the people fighting amongst themselves and they'll never notice the real villains.

This. The whole "you can whatever you want if you just work hard enough" part of the American dream has turned into nightmares for a lot of people. But God forbid we look at societal issues...

Archived