IGNORED

Authentic Manhood/Men's Fraternity

ThisOlGirl

So I was in my son's room looking for my favorite plastic Coca-Cola cup and I found some sort of certificate on the floor. It said that my son now had all the information to start the "Authentic Manhood" curriculum. The certificate has the names of the principal, a couple of the football coaches (my son plays football), and some people designated as "facilitators" and "mentors". My son has never mentioned this group, curriculum, or whatever it is, and he's never been interested in any extracurricular activities except football. So I asked him what it was. He said he didn't know, that it was something from a long time ago that's been in his backpack for awhile. I googled Authentic manhood and got this:

http://mensfraternity.com/

About Men's Fraternity

Men's Fraternity Classic is the original curriculum authored by Dr. Robert Lewis that helped launch the Authentic Manhood movement. Men's Fraternity Classic is a series of three one-year-long studies, beginning with The Quest for Authentic Manhood (24 weeks), followed by Authentic Manhood: Winning at Work and Home (16 weeks), and concluding with The Great Adventure series (20 weeks). More than just a rally or a Bible study, Men's Fraternity provides men with an encouraging process that teaches them how to live lives of authentic manhood as modeled by Jesus Christ and directed by the Word of God.

Men's Fraternity was designed to help men come together and strengthen each other through weekly sessions that combine biblical teaching and small group interaction.

These time-tested resources have been used all over the world to equip men to make their pursuit of noble manhood a lifelong priority. Church leaders and lay members are using the series to energize the men of their church and to connect with men in the community. Many men also use the series in their own personal pursuit of authentic manhood.

All the info I can find is fairly vague (at least to me), but the fact that they're promoting Courageous on their website is a bit of a red flag for me. I will be calling/emailing the school bright and early tomorrow morning to get some info and to express my concerns about religion being promoted at a public school and without my knowledge and/or permission. Unfortunately, it will most likely fall on deaf ears--this is Texas, after all.

Does anyone have the scoop on this group? Sounds a little Dougie-ish if you ask me.

I don't know, I couldn't see any links to VF/ATI, but maybe someone who is more familiar with theology could comment. They seem to be southern Baptist/evangelical .

texanonline.net/news/mens-fraternity-now-used-at-6000-sites

I don't know, I couldn't see any links to VF/ATI, but maybe someone who is more familiar with theology could comment. They seem to be southern Baptist/evangelical .

texanonline.net/news/mens-fraternity-now-used-at-6000-sites

Yeah, I didn't think it was connected to VF, it just reminded me of Dougie with all the talk of Authentic Manhood, Biblical Manhood, manliness, manmanmanmanblahblahblah. On the bright side, it didn't seem to make much of an impression on my son, since he couldn't even remember what it was all about. It still kind of pisses me off that they have this in public schools, though.

Doesn't matter if its Texas, its still illegal. Contact your ACLU branch to see what they suggest-even if you're not interested in legal action, they might be able to keep this information for future legal battles.

Yeah, Authentic Manhood sounds a lot like Beautiful Girlhood and Courageous Manhood or whatever the VF counterpart is. I would be angry too if I heard this was going on in public schools. Plus, it sounds like it's meant for adult men and it's a little disturbing to hear that they're pushing it on young men/boys in high school who are at an impressionable/exploring age. I tried to find some info on the pastor's background, but couldn't find anything more than ads for the program and that one news article. But I'm sure there will be people here who have heard of him or know something about him.

Doesn't matter if its Texas, its still illegal. Contact your ACLU branch to see what they suggest-even if you're not interested in legal action, they might be able to keep this information for future legal battles.

+1

I would be pissed as hell, if my son brought that home from school without anyone consulting me first. I would call tomorrow and FLIP MY SHIT.

EDIT: Just imagine if we handed out the Authentic Womanhood curriculum, based on feminist theory or witchcraft or... anything in the world that didn't promote primroses and intact hymens?

Archived