IGNORED

Essential oils instead of antibiotics?

Dinorah

I will join the Great Neosporin War!

Iodine and alcohol are antiseptics, not antibiotics. :whistle:

So, then, what distinguishes Neosporin as an antibiotic? The stuff I'm reading says that antibiotics get transported through the lymphatic system to destroy bacteria within the body whereas antiseptics only reduce external sepsis. So Neosporin penetrates well enough to actually kill bacteria internally?

I know it calls itself an antibiotic. I'm just trying to understand that in light of the difference between antibiotics and antiseptics.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emmie, which one was that? What I gathered from her links is that there is some evidence that certain forms of staph/MRSA may be becoming more resistant because of overuse of OTC topicals. I am more or less convinced by this, although I don't think it's one of the more serious problems relating to resistant microbes. Also, I didn't see any research that confirms the link, just some discussion that there "may" be one. I do think it is likely that there could be some link, but I haven't seen any proof. "May" is easy to say.

http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2004/feb ... gents.html

This one says in one of its KEY POINTS:

The judicious, prophylactic use of antiseptics may prevent the development of infections that will minimise antibiotic use, as well as promoting healing.

Yeast is a fungus and is treated with anti-fungal medications. Not the same as antibiotics, which kill bacteria. I once tried treating a yeast infection with yogurt--by topical application, not by eating it. MAJOR FAIL.

It won't cure the yeast infection all by itself, but the tampon or pad soaked in plain yogurt can at least make you feel better while the other stuff kicks in.

At least it worked for me.

When I was pregnant I had a horrible time with yeast infections, and also had a friend going through the same thing only not pregnant. We both started on the probiotic AZO:yeast (over the counter and approved by both of our doctors) and it really seemed to help. Just wanted to throw in my two pence.

It won't cure the yeast infection all by itself, but the tampon or pad soaked in plain yogurt can at least make you feel better while the other stuff kicks in.

At least it worked for me.

Dampen some acidophilus caps with warm water and insert them at bedtime. Don't forget to use a panty liner.

Yeast is a fungus and is treated with anti-fungal medications. Not the same as antibiotics, which kill bacteria. I once tried treating a yeast infection with yogurt--by topical application, not by eating it. MAJOR FAIL. I don't recommend it. Also, if you think you have a yeast infection, it's a good idea to see a doctor even though the anti-yeast meds are now OTC, because it might not be yeast. It might be a bacterial infection, and then you would need antibiotics.

Always see a doctor the first time! when you know the symptoms you can self treat and if you think it's over, just mention it during the next gyn apointment. I had a yeast infection twice, first time went to a doctor, and so much trouble treating it, second time I started probiotics, used tea tree oil washes 2X a day and yogurt once a day in between. Stopped in about a week (quicker than the last treatment I had). Although now I always take probiotics supplements on a daily basis. without a car it's too hard to keep up eating yogurt every other day (which is how I got this one, I just stopped for about 5 days, I was out of yogurt). It's important to know your body and try to see what works before going immediately to medicine IMO, but yeast infections should be properly assessed as such first. Once you know the signs, you're good to go.

Conuly, like you, I avoid medications when necessary, but it seems like you'd prefer all antibiotics to be prescription only. That wouldn't be good. While people do overuse meds, everything from demanding penicillin for a cold to Tylenol the instant a mild fever starts, making everything prescription only would make it impossible for some people to get what they need. I'm one of those people with autoimmunity issues, and simple cuts on me often don't heal for months, and that's with use of antibiotic ointments to keep them from getting infected (I get infections easily). Going to the doctor every time would be too expensive, and end with a lot of trips to the emergency room. So I've been advised by more than one doctor to keep it on hand. (As someone else already said though, for most people just plain petroleum jelly would help them heal as fast. For most people the antibiotics in Neosporin is pointless. I just need it as extra "insurance", and since I'm pretty anti-meds when not actively truly needed, I hate it.)

But a person with normal good health shouldn't need more than REGULAR non-antibacterial soap and water for most cuts and scrapes though, you are absolutely right about that. We so often take clean water and easy access to soap for granted and severely downplay the role these two things have in lessening disease and illness. People in Africa die from infections from minor cuts that we don't have to worry about simply because of our access to soap and water. We're better off just for having clean water to rinse a cut with. But since all the credit for everything goes to vaccines, the role of water and soap has been downplayed, which I think is detrimental exactly because it causes people to rush for medicinal answers first.

My daughter had a fever a few days ago. I posted it on Facebook, and wouldn't you know, a chorus of "Give her Tylenol!" Fevers are the body's way of fighting infection by making the temerapture hostile to invaders. Lowering the fever not only puts some mild strain on the liver, but makes the body have to fight harder to kill bacteria and fight viruses. You're more comfortable for the short-term, but can take longer to get better. Also by trying to eliminate fever it's easier to overlook when someone does need to go in, even to the ER. If an infection is bad enough to hit 105 but you don't know it because of taking meds to lower the fever, then you won't go in and get help.

The general public needs to be better educated, and doctors need to stop prescribing antibiotics just because a patient expects them.

But there's no money to be made telling people to use regular soap and water, so Big Pharma pushes meds meds meds, and then even dish soap makers get in on it by using antibacterial properties as a selling point (we use antibacterial soap to clean things we used with raw chicken, but otherwise, regular soap).

Boltingmadonna, either you have insurance or live in a country that has national health care. Many Americans can't afford to go to the doctor to have yeast infections diagnosed, and it's extremely uncomfortable to wait until an appointment time. Who wants to be itching like crazy in the crotch region and not be able to scratch as they're going about their day? Not many people can get an appointment the moment they call to lessen their suffering.

The drugs Neosporin uses--Neomycin, Polymyxin B, and Bacitracin--can be given internal to the human body theoretically, so they're considered antibiotics even when used on just the skin.

Iodine and alcohol can only be used on the skin, so they're considered antiseptics.

When they're used on inanimate objects, they're considered disinfectants.

Although not part of the official definitions, antibiotics usually have some way of targeting microbes--hitting some enzyme special to bacteria or something--so that they can work even though all bodily functions are still going--you don't have to change the pH or temperature or something else major of the body for them to work. Antiseptics work by kind-of "drowning" microbes--they change the environment in a big way (pH, oxygen radicals, denaturing all the proteins) that can't really be used inside the body.

It's a mostly unimportant distinction that I felt compelled to make anyway.

The drugs Neosporin uses--Neomycin, Polymyxin B, and Bacitracin--can be given internal to the human body theoretically, so they're considered antibiotics even when used on just the skin.

Iodine and alcohol can only be used on the skin, so they're considered antiseptics.

When they're used on inanimate objects, they're considered disinfectants.

Although not part of the official definitions, antibiotics usually have some way of targeting microbes--hitting some enzyme special to bacteria or something--so that they can work even though all bodily functions are still going--you don't have to change the pH or temperature or something else major of the body for them to work. Antiseptics work by kind-of "drowning" microbes--they change the environment in a big way (pH, oxygen radicals, denaturing all the proteins) that can't really be used inside the body.

It's a mostly unimportant distinction that I felt compelled to make anyway.

Good to know!

Aha. That makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, Neosporin is a so-called antibiotic...maybe that's why Conuly thought this article was relevant?

She said she is against using alcohol and iodine as well.

I am completely against antibacterial household products like soaps and cleaners. A lot of them get in the waterways without degrading and have a negative effect on the diversity. Also, waste remediation depends on bacteria.

In some people (me!!!) antibiotics always come with a yeast infection unless I do something to stop it.

I am not recommending this, talk to your doctor, etc, but what works for me is an old wive's remedy of putting plain probiotic yogurt in the areas where the areas where the yeast gets to be an issue. I don't know if this would cure an existing infection, but it keeps it from developing. You feel a little weird putting yogurt in your hoo-hoo, but I hate yeast infections.

If it is a systemic issue, I think a prescription anti-fungal would be something to discuss with your doctor. But all of this crap comes with side effects, another thing to keep in mind.

I have the same problem, Emmie. I swear, if I even look at an antibiotic, I get teh ebil yeast! It's a good thing that I rarely use them (I don't think I've had an antibiotic since 2005 post-operatively (that I can remember anyway).

But with yeast in general, I have found your yogurt thing to be quite helpful. Here's a trick (this should not be construed as advice for anyone else - I'm just saying what works for me!): Take the tampon out of the cardboard (has to be cardboard applicator) and put the two applicator tubes back together and fill the tube that would normally contain the tampon with the plain yogurt. Freeze. If that oh-so-special itch comes along, insert, and believe me, this makes it feel much better pretty darn quick-like. :D

I have the same problem, Emmie. I swear, if I even look at an antibiotic, I get teh ebil yeast! It's a good thing that I rarely use them (I don't think I've had an antibiotic since 2005 post-operatively (that I can remember anyway).

But with yeast in general, I have found your yogurt thing to be quite helpful. Here's a trick (this should not be construed as advice for anyone else - I'm just saying what works for me!): Take the tampon out of the cardboard (has to be cardboard applicator) and put the two applicator tubes back together and fill the tube that would normally contain the tampon with the plain yogurt. Freeze. If that oh-so-special itch comes along, insert, and believe me, this makes it feel much better pretty darn quick-like. :D

That is a damn good idea. I won't even get into how I get the yogurt up there... it's not pretty. :lol:

That is a damn good idea. I won't even get into how I get the yogurt up there... it's not pretty. :lol:

Yeah, this is the only way I know that works well :D

On Feelin Feminine there's a whole string of posts on candida prevention. In the last one, the author advocates not taking anti-biotics in order to avoid candida, but to use essential oils instead

feelinfeminine.com/?p=9304

Right aftewards, however, she admits to having had an infection as a consequence of not using essential oils properly after wisdom tooth surgery.

I get it that antibiotics should be used sparingly and that they have lots of side-effects, and I'm in favour of natural remedies whenever possible, but there are times were they are needed and are useful. It seems dangerous and irresponsible to me that a 21-yo with no medical training would give this sort of advice to a potentially gullible and not very educated audience. It also turns out that "Lady Abigail"-surprise, surprise-sells essential oils online. Anyway I don't get why some fundies have such a deep aversion to any kind of mainstream medicine. I get trying to have a natural/organic lifestyle, but sometimes it just seems obsessive and paranoid.

Why would you take antibiotics to avoid candida? It is a yeast infection.

I shall enter this war. For an average American who cuts themselves at home where they have access to water and soap there is some evidence that the use of antiseptics is counterindicated. (I will find the study if you want...I think I heard it on NPR) The antiseptics can at times prevent healing or disrupt it.

However, if you are unable to clean the wound or have limited access to soap and water antiseptics should be used.

I don't think there is any evidence to link neosporin to antibiotic resistance to things like MRSA because the three drugs wouldn't ever be used to treat a staph infection. Do I believe it could? Yeah possibly. Mostly I think the benefit is in the pain relief of the +pain formulation and in the placebo effect that you are doing something. The average wound in America shouldn't need a topical ointment to heal.

I'm avoiding the antibacterial argument because frankly I don't know enough about biology to contribute, but I do hate the fundie mistrust of modern medicine - to me it seems very similar to their mistrust of public school teachers and academics. I'm on antidepressants for serious clinical depression and I'm fed up of fundie quacks trying to persuade me that all I need is some berries and some tea tree oil.

And the Dixons seem paranoid as hell in general. They're into a ton of New World Order conspiracy theories.

I still don't know why you would avoid antibiotics as much as possible, but spend >$70 on supplements that you're going to take for over a month (or about that much time and money on essential oils), when you can use yogurt a couple of times for, like, $1. Maybe more if y'all are talking about fancy yogurt.

Also, my paper-cuts generally heal in like, a day, so I don't really slather on petroleum jelly to optimize healing. But I do use band-aids because I'm an enormous wuss.

As someone said up thread probiotic caps inserted in the twithers can be very helpful in battling the yeast beast. I mix the powder in the capsules with warm water and douche with it. Coverage of all the bits is guaranteed. Taught this trick to my old roommate and she swears by it as well.

I read that as "...to avoid candida, the author advocates not taking antibiotics."

Hi! Nice to be back, everybody!

I can't read apparently. You are correct.

And the Neosporin war of 2012 begins.... :doh:

Well at least it is something different! :lol:

What I'm wondering is, why the hell is Neosporin the point of contention? People wash their hands with antibacterial soap every day or use Purell constantly - to me this would seem to contribute to stronger strains of whatever far more than Neosporin, which gets used, what, a handful of times a year, if that? My Neosporin is always going out of date because I just never need it. Even when I was a little kid, I only had a majorly scraped knee maybe once a year.

What I'm wondering is, why the hell is Neosporin the point of contention? People wash their hands with antibacterial soap every day or use Purell constantly - to me this would seem to contribute to stronger strains of whatever far more than Neosporin, which gets used, what, a handful of times a year, if that? My Neosporin is always going out of date because I just never need it. Even when I was a little kid, I only had a majorly scraped knee maybe once a year.

Yea after reading the thread I checked the expiration dates on my two tubes (one lives in the med. cabinet and the other in the camping stuff) one was exp. for two years another exp. for a year. I tossed them.

When I was pregnant I had a horrible time with yeast infections, and also had a friend going through the same thing only not pregnant. We both started on the probiotic AZO:yeast (over the counter and approved by both of our doctors) and it really seemed to help. Just wanted to throw in my two pence.

I don't want to wade into the great Neosporin War, but I did want to put a plug in for AZO because hardly anyone I talk to has ever heard of it. I hate Monistat, etc., and get a yeast infection every. single. time I take antibiotics. The AZO works wonderfully and you can get it at Wal-Mart. I have no idea what's in it, perhaps it's contributing directly to the creation of superbugs and we're all going to die tomorrow because of it, but until I see a study claiming that, you'll have to pry the bottle out of my cold, dead hands. :D

Archived