IGNORED

Essential oils instead of antibiotics?

Dinorah

I have used essential oils/herbs instead of antibiotics many times. I am also friends with several herbalists I can ask and know a lot about medicinal herbs myself from years of experience. I usually give it a week on the natural course and if nothing has changed for the better or it gets worse I will go for the antibiotics. It depends on many things and I am not going to let my kid suffer just to prove I can cure something with oils instead.I don't need to prove anything,I know what works and what doesn't for the most part.

They want to win the "natural mother award" for the week ,that is all it is. I think there pride is showing.. :doh:

Hah. This thread is timely. I took my son to the doctor yesterday under suspicion of ear infection (which he did indeed have) and when I told a friend about it, she asked me what the doctor recommended because when her daughter had an ear infection, she told them to use garlic oil and it cleared the infection right up. I'm tempted to respond, "he prescribed antibiotics because he's a doctor and not a fucking hippie." But that would be mean, but damn sometimes I get tired of the NATURAL SHIT IS BETTER SHIT AND SMELLS LIKE ROSES. yes antibiotics are overused, so stop using anti-biotic soap.

So instead I'll tell her that he prescribed antibiotics with instructions to wait first to see if the body clears it up on its own, so I just squirted breastmilk in his ear to see if that would clear it up or help things along. So far, seems to be working. His fever is gone and he's not nearly as whiny.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use antibiotics sparingly, only when I'm properly sick, with a sinus infection or similar. Luckily my doctor and I are on the same page when it comes to knowing when to get out the big guns and when to just go home, push fluids and rest.

As for essential oils, I always have tea tree and lavender oils in the cupboard. Tea tree is good for cuts and infections (small ones) and lavender is incredibly soothing for bites and burns. Needless to say, if I ever have a large wound, a spider bite or a large burn, I'm going straight to the GP. I do find these oils very useful for basic first aid at home. It's all about balance!

Guest Anonymous

I seem to get oral yeast infections rather than vaginal ones when taking antibiotics. All I do is eat a couple of spoonfuls of plain yogurt several times a day & it seems to work. As for using OTC antibiotic creams/ointments...I don't use them on minor cuts or scrapes, but I do when my headshp scratches me. There is this nasty little bug called cat scratch fever, and it can make you sick. So, I just wash the area, apply antibiotic cream (hate the greasy feel of ointments) on it, and put a band-aid on it.

Edited to add: I discovered this cream called Mario Badescu Healing cream (has no antibiotics)...works wonders on irritated skin. It's kind of pricey though, but a little bit goes a long way.

I didn't get antibiotics or anything when all my wisdom teeth came out. Seven minutes start to finish, a few dry sockets, and not even pain meds in case of pain. It sucked worse than childbirth and I refused to eat for a week.

No, antibiotics (other than topical) are prescription-only in the US.

You have the shittiest medical and dental care providers in the the world.

I didn't get antibiotics or anything when all my wisdom teeth came out. Seven minutes start to finish, a few dry sockets, and not even pain meds in case of pain. It sucked worse than childbirth and I refused to eat for a week.

No, antibiotics (other than topical) are prescription-only in the US.

You have the shittiest medical and dental care providers in the the world.

Guest Anonymous

The only time I've gotten antibiotics for tooth extraction was when teeth had to be cut out. Otherwise, all I have gotten is an instruction sheet, extra packs of sterile gauze, and a prescription for pain pills. I've never had a dry socket or gotten an infection from an extraction.

Wow, they don't do that in the UK. When I had mine out I didn't get antibiotics, neither did my brother who had his out a couple of weeks ago (and still looks like he's been in the ring with Mike Tyson). Obviously if you develop an infection you get them, but you're just told to gargle with salt water here.

Can you buy antibiotics over the counter in the US?

they don't either in France. But I learned it was actually a high risk operation. A friend of mine had her sister who got the operation. It took her 6 months to be able to function again.

Apparently, when they go get the teeth they go near tongue nerves and it's more or less random where those nerves go through. The operation went through some of them so she lost sensation and taste in her mouth. apparently it's only temporary (like maybe in a year or two or maybe never). She also got a major infection on the operation site, could not move her jaw bones anymore, had to be opened again IIRC to get all the pus out. She actually had to switch schools for a lighter study program because she just could not get back the time off she had to take.

I have had three of my wisdom teeth removed, one was easy peasy but teeth from my lower jaw had to be removed surgically. I didn't get antibiotic recipe and in general they don't prescribe antibiotics here in these cases if there isn't infection involved. I only had ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory drug).

The only time I've gotten antibiotics for tooth extraction was when teeth had to be cut out. Otherwise, all I have gotten is an instruction sheet, extra packs of sterile gauze, and a prescription for pain pills. I've never had a dry socket or gotten an infection from an extraction.

Thhats how mine were. All were impacted and had to be cut out. I had a mouthful of stitches. No antibiotics tho.

This reminds me of when a friend told me that she knew a midwife who would take group b strep positive moms who wanted to have homebirths. She apparently treated them by having the woman walk around with a garlic clove up her vagina for 3 weeks prior to the birth instead of antibiotics. So according to her I had "no reason" not have a homebirth (not wanting one was apparently not a good reason). Like hell I'd fuck around with group b strep and the potential for an infection that could kill my new baby.

I don't like how I feel when I take antibiotics and I specifically chose a pediatrician that is very conservative when prescribing antibiotics, but I will absolutely take them and give them to my kids when necessary. And I'm so thankful to have access to antibiotics and modern medicine for myself and my kids. Do these people have no grasp of history?

Thhats how mine were. All were impacted and had to be cut out. I had a mouthful of stitches. No antibiotics tho.

Same - all impacted, plus my upper one was a little too close to my sinuses for comfort. My sinus... cavity... or whatever it's called, extends unusually far down, so my fourth wisdom tooth was left alone (but it's upside down and not hurting anyone). Maybe the antibiotics were overkill (and I never did need that yeast pill) but that was the least painful surgery, with the most obvious benefits, I've ever had, even though I left with a mouthful of stitches. No dry sockets, no more headaches, and I didn't even need the pain pills other than Aleve past the first day.

Guest Anonymous

I wonder if the reason for giving antibiotics after extractions depends on how infected the tooth/teeth are. I know a lot of people who are so fearful of going to the dentist (even those that offer sedation) that they wait until they can't stand the pain anymore? I also think money may be a factor. A lot of people have no dental insurance and have save money or borrow money, and of course the longer you wait the worse the infection. Seems like I remember a hearing about a boy who died from a severe infection due to a toothache that went untreated. His parents didn't have insurance and couldn't afford to take him to the dentist. In my town, we now have a non-profit dental clinic for children on medicaid or AllKids (low cost medical & dental insurance for children in AL), and there are branch offices in other parts of AL as well.

I wonder if the reason for giving antibiotics after extractions depends on how infected the tooth/teeth are. I know a lot of people who are so fearful of going to the dentist (even those that offer sedation) that they wait until they can't stand the pain anymore? I also think money may be a factor. A lot of people have no dental insurance and have save money or borrow money, and of course the longer you wait the worse the infection. Seems like I remember a hearing about a boy who died from a severe infection due to a toothache that went untreated. His parents didn't have insurance and couldn't afford to take him to the dentist. In my town, we now have a non-profit dental clinic for children on medicaid or AllKids (low cost medical & dental insurance for children in AL), and there are branch offices in other parts of AL as well.

The boy you are thinking of did indeed die from an infected tooth, and he is just one of many. I cried when I read his story - a child here in the United States, where we supposedly have the "best health care in the world", died of a fucking infected tooth (can you tell it STILL makes me angry?)?!

The story is here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02116.html

(Link is not broken due to it being a newspaper website.)

There are others, too:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/insurance- ... d=14438171

(Again, unbroken..yada yada)

The boy you are thinking of did indeed die from an infected tooth, and he is just one of many. I cried when I read his story - a child here in the United States, where we supposedly have the "best health care in the world", died of a fucking infected tooth (can you tell it STILL makes me angry?)?!

The story is here:

There are others, too:

where the hell did you hear that? if anything the US has the worst health care system of the OECD countries. IMO if you have to choose between eating that week or going to the doctor, there's something wrong...

where the hell did you hear that? if anything the US has the worst health care system of the OECD countries. IMO if you have to choose between eating that week or going to the doctor, there's something wrong...

Our republican politicians.

Our republican politicians.

well they need to shill out the copayment to get their head surgically removed of their asses....

It was sarcasm, which is why it was in quotation marks.

The story is here:

There are others, too:

I remember that story. Where I live, dentists come into schools and give cleanings and checks to children for free. A couple times a year they have a free clinic open for local children as well and there is a low cost or free (depending on need) dental clinic in town. I can't believe the more 'progressive' states don't have or offer these things. I live in one of the poorest states as well. Makes me sad and angry that these things happen. We have great doctors and health care in this country, except that too many people do not have the access they need to receive it and that it why our health system is so terrible. It's not the best, despite what some say and they do say it. Not when people, especially children die from lack of coverage and people go into serious debt and lose their homes and more trying to pay off medical bills to get the help they need. Those things are why the US fails in healthcare imo.

This reminds me of when a friend told me that she knew a midwife who would take group b strep positive moms who wanted to have homebirths. She apparently treated them by having the woman walk around with a garlic clove up her vagina for 3 weeks prior to the birth instead of antibiotics. So according to her I had "no reason" not have a homebirth (not wanting one was apparently not a good reason). Like hell I'd fuck around with group b strep and the potential for an infection that could kill my new baby.
But Strep B is easy to clear up before birth. It's just a round of antibiotics. Why didn't said midwife write them a script for that? Strep B can even be cleared up with the really cheap antibiotics. I don't understand why anyone would do something so idiotic over something so simple.

look folks, I don't care what you all say about what drug but you must always use alcohol when treating a scrape or wound on your children. Your child could die if you don't!!!1! You wash said wound with soap and water, apply bandaid, give kisses for boo-boo to heal and then sit on the sofa getting knee walking drunk while crying your children have such a bad mother for not keeping them safe. Now, is that to hard to do??!!?!1? I think not!

Wow, they don't do that in the UK. When I had mine out I didn't get antibiotics, neither did my brother who had his out a couple of weeks ago (and still looks like he's been in the ring with Mike Tyson). Obviously if you develop an infection you get them, but you're just told to gargle with salt water here.

Can you buy antibiotics over the counter in the US?

No, you cannot buy antibiotics over the counter here. I was not given antibiotics prior to my wisdom teeth being pulled, not did I get an infection. My dentist doesn't give antibiotics prior to a root canal either. I've had antibiotics when I had an abscessed tooth but that has been the only time.

Just to clarify, in case it wasn't apparent - I didn't have my wisdom teeth out at the dentist. I had to go to a dental surgeon. I was conked out, stitched up, the whole shebang. Obviously have a tooth pulled that has grown in is different - I actually had one pulled when I was young because there was no adult tooth underneath. It was a completely different animal.

Where I live, dentists come into schools and give cleanings and checks to children for free. A couple times a year they have a free clinic open for local children as well and there is a low cost or free (depending on need) dental clinic in town. I can't believe the more 'progressive' states don't have or offer these things. I live in one of the poorest states as well. Makes me sad and angry that these things happen. We have great doctors and health care in this country, except that too many people do not have the access they need to receive it and that it why our health system is so terrible. It's not the best, despite what some say and they do say it. Not when people, especially children die from lack of coverage and people go into serious debt and lose their homes and more trying to pay off medical bills to get the help they need. Those things are why the US fails in healthcare imo.

In our school district we have a program where dental hygienists come in and clean teeth. I don't know any dentists who do the actual cleaning of teeth. If the cleaning shows need for more dental work then that is provided at a clinic at no charge. The program is also available to pregnant woman.

When I was in school in the 1950's in New York every school district had a dental hygienist on staff. Every student got at least one cleaning per year, sometimes two. I loved the dental hygienist we had. In the winter we also got large yellow sunshine tablets (vit C), they were so good. Most of the programs have now gone the way of the dinosaur.

Just to clarify, in case it wasn't apparent - I didn't have my wisdom teeth out at the dentist. I had to go to a dental surgeon. I was conked out, stitched up, the whole shebang. Obviously have a tooth pulled that has grown in is different - I actually had one pulled when I was young because there was no adult tooth underneath. It was a completely different animal.

My wisdom teeth were also impacted, removed by an oral surgeon, had stitches, etc. I still was not given antibiotics nor were any of my classmates. We were in nursing school at a teaching hospital. If we arrived there with our wisdom teeth we didn't leave with them, for the most part. There were a few girls who'd had them removed in high school or who had room in their mouth for them. All of us with impacted wisdom teeth had them removed by Dr. Robert Wilson, who was one handsome man. So we didn't mind, LOL. None of us got antibiotics and only one girl got a dry socket.

Yeah, I was going to mention this too. One reason I doubt somewhat that resistant strains of staph are developing as a result of Neosporin overuse is that Neosporin has never been effective against staph, as far as I now. Because of that, I don't think it could really contribute to resistant strains of staph in particular.

I think the issue with anti-bacterial soaps and neosporin is that they kill off the helpful bacteria on your skin, so any resistant strains of unhelpful bacteria can colonize quickly. We have a problem right now in a major teaching hospital in this city with a really nasty strain of C. difficile that is totally drug-resistant and that makes MRSA look like a minor inconvenience. If a patient with a compromised immune system, or who has been dosed with antibiotics prior to surgery or giving birth picks up this bacteria it takes over in the colon with life-threatening results. A friend of mine went into this hospital last month for back surgery, two weeks later she was in the ICU at another hospital with toxic colon syndrome, and a week later she underwent a colostomy procedure to save her life.

Archived