IGNORED

NLQ's Angel has/had cancer?

Deleted08

Angel's latest post suggests she is quitting blogging.

When all you feel is down when you write When a blog seems vindictive and full of a past that needs let go When your blog is read by people who don't have lives, and just want to criticize yours If those things are true, it's probably time to end your blog. Good luck, readers, and the best of life to you.

I tend to think this might be the best decision for her. Seems like her family has ended up with a lot of problems exacerbated by living so much in the public eye and opening their private lives for all to see. Sometimes healing is best done in private.

Guest Anonymous
Angel's latest post suggests she is quitting blogging.

I tend to think this might be the best decision for her. Seems like her family has ended up with a lot of problems exacerbated by living so much in the public eye and opening their private lives for all to see. Sometimes healing is best done in private.

Long overdue (for her own sake), IMO. Now if Vyckie would stop using her childrens' life stories for personal gain, they might all be able to heal privately.

Yes anniec, I agree. However I do notice that Vyckie has a much-reduced presence on the "No Longer Qivering" blog. Most of the current posts seem to be stories from other people.

I am not a member of their forum however, and have no idea what goes on there. I tried to sign up but was given a message that I had been blocked. Odd because I never had an account there so I don't know what reason she would have to block me ... but whatever. :roll:

Our experience with the Army - As long as you're not dead they want out up and around. My husband had 2 inguenal hernias removed. He could barely walk long enough to go use the bathroom yet they wanted him to come to PT 2 days later, despite having a doctor's note to rest as much as possible. For a month after the surgery they had him walking laps at "his own pace" instead of doing the usual workout. Yeah, I wasn't too happy. The day after the surgery I had to take the doctor's note into the doctor on base to have him excused from PT. I went alone because C couldn't walk. I sat in the waiting room for over an hour at 5 am and finally when it's my turn the nurse asked where my husband was. I said he was at home. She said I couldn't be seen without him there. I said I was dropping off a note for him and he couldn't even walk. She cancelled my appointment, made me go home and bring him there. We lived in an upstairs apartment so I had to practically carry him down the stairs by myself (keep in mind at the time I was a skinny little wimp at 115 pounds so that wasn't easy). We FINALLY get there (after waiting almost 2 hours more in the waiting room, with my husband almost crying from being in so much pain), and when we saw the doctor to give him the note he goes, "So why did you come here? You could have just sent your wife so you could stay home!" UGH. I don't know how they deal with cancer, but excruciating pain doesn't seem to bother them very much.

I served in the military as a doctor and can address both of these questions. It was 20 years ago, but I think that little has changed. First of all, cancer is not a single disease. There are many malignancies. Some have good prognoses and others not so good. If the cancer is diagnosed while the person is Active Duty, they will be treated. Usually the treatment available in the military is quite good, but inconvenient. By inconvenient, I mean that the soldier will be sent to a military facility that provides the care or is contracted by the DOD to provide the care. It could be a thousand miles from the home base even if comparable civilian care is closer. The military member will be treated as an Active Duty member until it becomes clear that the person is not getting well. At that point, procedures begin to medically discharge the person. In many cases, just like a battle injury, the military member who got sick while serving may be entitled to Military medical care for the rest of their lives. Sometimes the care is limited only to the specific ailment that occurred while serving. The military member is also entitled to care (such as it is) at the VA.

Now about the hernia story. Absolutely dead on true. Those are the rules of the military. Even as an Active Duty Physician, I had to actually come in to sick call to get diagnosed with chicken pox (hardly a rocket scientist diagnosis) by another military physician. I could not tell my supervisor over the phone. I had to find someone to bring me in to the clinic. It was stupid. As for the doctor's remark....the doctors most often do not share what we call "Military Mentality". Even doctors who put in their 20 years frequently maintain a certain distance from the group think mentality. But most of the docs in the military are doing a number of years of service either to pay off student debts or to gain a specific kind of training. They do not have power over the rules of the military medical facility and they are often as puzzled by the gyrations as you are.

Archived