IGNORED

NLQ's Angel has/had cancer?

Deleted08

I haven't checked in with her for a few months. Last I knew she had broke up with her husband and was enjoying her time in the service.

I just read the past few months of blog entries...wow I had no idea. That girl has really gone through hell and back at such a young age. Being in the service seems to be such a huge positive in her life...I really hope things only get better from here on out.

I'm really cheering for her. I like seeing my fellow Nebraska girls make it big :-)

I wondered the same thing a few weeks ago but couldn't find anything. i am wondering if she had some form of treatment for a noncancerous condition that required "chemotherapy" such as an autoimmune problem or perhaps a thyroid tumor that requires some "chemotherapy" but not in the "traditional" sense of come-in-for-horrible-IV-medicine-and-lose-your-hair. I like Angel but I do think she has a bit of flare for the dramatic...

I wondered the same thing a few weeks ago but couldn't find anything. i am wondering if she had some form of treatment for a noncancerous condition that required "chemotherapy" such as an autoimmune problem or perhaps a thyroid tumor that requires some "chemotherapy" but not in the "traditional" sense of come-in-for-horrible-IV-medicine-and-lose-your-hair. I like Angel but I do think she has a bit of flare for the dramatic...

I wonder where she got that trait from ;)

I don't believe anything she says anymore. The girl needs help.

Was she or wasn't she pregnant? I'm not sure if it was made clear. One post she's pregnant and next we know she's enlisting with no mention of baby. Don't know for sure.

Read the blog comments. She says she has intelligence on her husband because that's her job now.

Very weird.

I thought she just got out of boot camp.

Did she or didn't she have chemo? Who knows.

Wouldn't surprise me if she did have cancer, given all the stress she has had in such a short life.

I hope she gets help.

Guest Anonymous
I thought she was pregnant?
That was more than a year ago, if it ever happened.

I wonder about the chemo too. If she has had a cancer scare, then it might explain the re-uniting with Vyckie last Autumn. (Not that she shouldn't reunite with her mother, but it would probably have taken something extreme to get over the last falling out. I hope she's OK, she's been through such a lot.

Maybe she had a molar pregnancy. That would require chemotherapy.

I was thinking that as well. Anything else is just plumb rotten luck. Not that a molar pregnant is brilliant luck, but it's more logical than having cancer pop up in a completely different place.

...yes, logic comforts me. Point my ears and call me T'Fal.

Some forms of RA require mild doses of chemo. I have 2 friends with RA and they're both on mild doses of chemo. However if she had RA I doubt she'd be still allowed to be in the military....

Had she mentioned it before?

What kind of duty is she on in the Navy? I'm not sure how they deal with something like cancer, or something that requires the devastatingly exhausting treatment of chemotherapy. Even if you're not infantry or out in the field, isn't there a level of health that you need to maintain? I wouldn't think that the US Military is like a random company that makes accommodations (as in "reasonable accommodations" that fall under the Americans with Disabilities Act) for their sick or disabled employees (modified schedules, working at home, assistive devices, etc.).

There seems to be a lot of holes in her stories.

What kind of duty is she on in the Navy? I'm not sure how they deal with something like cancer, or something that requires the devastatingly exhausting treatment of chemotherapy. Even if you're not infantry or out in the field, isn't there a level of health that you need to maintain? I wouldn't think that the US Military is like a random company that makes accommodations (as in "reasonable accommodations" that fall under the Americans with Disabilities Act) for their sick or disabled employees (modified schedules, working at home, assistive devices, etc.).

From what I understand from my friend "M" who is in the Navy, when she (my friend not Angel) was extremely ill following a miscarriage and a botched D&C, she was put on extremely light duty until her dr cleared her for regular duty.

Angel had a miscarriage shortly after publicly sharing the news of her pregnancy. She said so in the comments of a post, but it was not in a post proper.

I found this on her blog:

A horrible illness ending In chemo treatments that left me drained. That's been my year.

I looked back and couldn't find anything else. She must be better as she is back to full duty and wasn't medically discharged, which she would have been if she had an on going health concern.

Our experience with the Army - As long as you're not dead they want out up and around. My husband had 2 inguenal hernias removed. He could barely walk long enough to go use the bathroom yet they wanted him to come to PT 2 days later, despite having a doctor's note to rest as much as possible. For a month after the surgery they had him walking laps at "his own pace" instead of doing the usual workout. Yeah, I wasn't too happy. The day after the surgery I had to take the doctor's note into the doctor on base to have him excused from PT. I went alone because C couldn't walk. I sat in the waiting room for over an hour at 5 am and finally when it's my turn the nurse asked where my husband was. I said he was at home. She said I couldn't be seen without him there. I said I was dropping off a note for him and he couldn't even walk. She cancelled my appointment, made me go home and bring him there. We lived in an upstairs apartment so I had to practically carry him down the stairs by myself (keep in mind at the time I was a skinny little wimp at 115 pounds so that wasn't easy). We FINALLY get there (after waiting almost 2 hours more in the waiting room, with my husband almost crying from being in so much pain), and when we saw the doctor to give him the note he goes, "So why did you come here? You could have just sent your wife so you could stay home!" UGH. I don't know how they deal with cancer, but excruciating pain doesn't seem to bother them very much.

On Oct 19, 2011 she posted on her blog:

What started as a simple infection in July has grown into some monster trying to take over my entire body. I've been to several doctors, endured many appointments and still see many more in the upcoming days. That's discouraging to me. In fact, it's probably causing a little depression.

But I don't see anything posted in follow-up.

Okay, this thread made me think of something. Who was the SAHD who had cancer? I think it was lymphoma. Can't remember her name/blog at all...

FWIW some of the chemo regimens for autoimmune diseases can be pretty bad. I am following someone on tumblr with lupus and she is taking chemo. It made her hair fall out and she can barely function on the day/few days after she gets it because she is so tired. So that can vary (I assume this girl has a very severe case).

bionicmlle, I am sure you didn't mean it that way, but just because treatment for thyroid tumors (I assume you mean radioactive iodine) isn't traditional chemotherapy doesn't mean complaining about it should be dismissed as whining. A lot of times you have to stop taking thyroid medication, which makes you extremely fatigued as well as a bunch of other potential symptoms like weight gain, dry skin, and depression. In addition to that you have to follow a restrictive diet and depending on the dosage it might require a hospital stay. I think this one is like apples-to-oranges... treatment course doesn't last as long, but otherwise, you can still get a bunch of crap symptoms, and then you have to deal with trying to regulate your meds again if you went off them.

I don't follow her/Vyckie but I would guess maybe an infection set off an autoimmune disease? And then she is getting some form of chemo to get that under control.

Also, chemotherapy is not unique to cancer and autoimmune disease. By definition chemotherapy can be any kind of (usually prolonged) drug treatment, so at times the antibiotic treatment of tuberculosis and the anti-viral treatments of Hepatitis C and HIV, among others, are referred to as chemotherapy.

The Army will hang on to people who have cancer - depends on what the prognosis is like and I think how long you've been in.

I've worked with 2 people so far - 1 stomach cancer, 1 testicular cancer - and neither of them was discharged.

I haven't read her blog in a long time, but if she's collecting dirt on her husband as part of her job, she's doing the wrong thing...

Archived