IGNORED

Life in a Shoe: Homeschool regardless of your circumstances!

Kelya

Guest Anonymous

Agreed. Too much indoctrination to turn out "good" Americans. History was much more interesting and challenging in college.

Oh good grief. You can't get a proper education by just reading books. This reminds me of when God's Daughter listed the perks of homeschooling and one of them was that you didn't have to do annoying things like Literature because she just read books. And reading a book and taking a Literature class are just the same. :doh:

I love to read, but reading doesn't teach you how to write.

Or how to analyse what you've read, but then for the fundies, God forbid any of their children actually learn how to think critically and analyse a text. Particularly when it comes to evaluating historical sources.

Oh good grief. You can't get a proper education by just reading books. This reminds me of when God's Daughter listed the perks of homeschooling and one of them was that you didn't have to do annoying things like Literature because she just read books. And reading a book and taking a Literature class are just the same. :doh:

I love to read, but reading doesn't teach you how to write.

Which explains why God's Daughter (aka Miss Raquel) gave us my alll time favorite fundieism: using the word fictional to mean a work of fiction. What a gem.

This whole thing just pisses me off! Why? Because its my tax dollars funding this bullshit. So daddy has back problems that keep him from working, considering that she isnt knocked up with another one I'll give him that much. So, we know he's likely on some sort of govt assistance. Instead of going to the local community college and trying to learn a new trade that isnt hard on his back, I'm assuming he's sitting on his ass waiting for god to drop something into their lap.

She wont work for whatever reason. Her 7 year old cant read and has failed in the public school system (I'm assuming since this is her first full year). Instead of having him tested and given specialized treatment that the evil skool can give him she will create another ward of the state by trying to gain his interest by reading bible verses.

I'm all for people being able to educate their children according to their wishes, but all children need to actually be EDUCATED. I totally agree about the big fat greek wedding comment. Too bad they dont watch that "garbage" to see the future.

Slightly OT: I saw a brilliant piece about "Ebonics" on a public TV documentary. It showed a black teacher giving a grammar lesson to his class of mostly black fifth graders. The point of the lesson was learning the difference between African-American colloquial English and standard American English. He'd read a phrase and ask the students to determine which form of English was being used. I loved it because it did not demonize "Ebonics," did not glorify standard American English, gave the kids credit for having brains, and helped them strengthen their analytical powers. The kids were definitely getting into it, and learning when different forms of speech patterns would be appropriate in different situations.

Yeah, they do some really cool and clever things with kids who grow up speaking AAVE. I'm definitely for programs that teach kids how to speak standard English so that it will be easier for them to find jobs etc. but also doesn't demonize a dialect that kids grow up speaking from birth and which even has legitimate traces back to west African languages.

But then again, I've taken several linguistics-oriented classes and strongly believe there is no such thing as a lesser dialect.

Slightly OT: I saw a brilliant piece about "Ebonics" on a public TV documentary. It showed a black teacher giving a grammar lesson to his class of mostly black fifth graders. The point of the lesson was learning the difference between African-American colloquial English and standard American English. He'd read a phrase and ask the students to determine which form of English was being used. I loved it because it did not demonize "Ebonics," did not glorify standard American English, gave the kids credit for having brains, and helped them strengthen their analytical powers. The kids were definitely getting into it, and learning when different forms of speech patterns would be appropriate in different situations.

This sounds great. I would thoroughly enjoy seeing that. It's definitely the case that not all forms of speech are appropriate at all times, but this is the same with Scots...if I was addressing a meeting in England and spoke in Scots on a point of principle, my listeners would maybe not understand me. So not that one language or dialect is lesser, but may be more or less appropriate for a situation.

Which explains why God's Daughter (aka Miss Raquel) gave us my alll time favorite fundieism: using the word fictional to mean a work of fiction. What a gem.

She got called out on it by other homeschoolers and got pissy and said it was all okay because she reads books she doesn't like and then talks about them with her mom. And that is totally the same as taking a Literature class. Might explain why she had to go to a fake college and take classes like "Learn hip-hop". I swear, she is my favorite fake-modest fundie.

Archived